To think "Excited for"...

(29 Posts)
softlysoftly Wed 04-Jun-14 13:02:37

... is wrong?

I'm really not sure confused

It seems to be popping up all over the place "I'm excited for visiting x this weekend" "whoop excited for the new game out".

Or "Excited to" that seems to be new as well.

It just sounds wrong and really really grinds on me but I might be wholly unreasonable and it's perfect grammar?

Surely it's "I'm excited about"??

BertieBotts Thu 05-Jun-14 16:35:46

YY Corus, that's what I would teach it as (and have in the past). I didn't realise that some people use it to mean "have you ever" grin oh well, just another level of confusing for the students!

softlysoftly Thu 05-Jun-14 17:04:25

Well I feel truly educated now by Bertie though realising it's America in origin has made me ever so slightly more irritated grin

Pumpkin send me your address I may need to relocate!

Blithereens hang your head in shame

Andrewofgg Thu 05-Jun-14 18:08:30

pinkie1982 Your mother is a wonderful woman. For free is loathsome.

BertieBotts Thu 05-Jun-14 18:16:28

Thinking about it, Corus, I think I have the same connotation with "Did you feed the cat?"

If, say, I was tired and went to bed early and told DH "Don't forget to feed the cat." then later when he came to bed I might ask "Did you feed the cat?" but if it was a normal evening and I wasn't sure if the cat's bowl was empty because it was greedy or because it hadn't been fed then I'd say "Have you fed the cat?"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now