To want to give away unused IVF drugs?

(26 Posts)
Shroomboom Mon 26-May-14 15:45:07

DH says that if something happens to whoever I give them to that I will be liable. I just think I was lucky enough to have the drugs funded and we got our beautiful dd out of it, and if I can pass them on to help someone else that would be wonderful.
What's the general consensus?

WorraLiberty Mon 26-May-14 15:46:21

Your DH is right I'm afraid

BadgerFace Mon 26-May-14 15:48:17

I wanted to do this last year after the birth of our DD and offered on an assisted conception thread but didn't get any takers. I must admit I didn't think of a liability issue. I threw them away in the end and thought it was a shame as it could have saved someone a few hundred pounds!

your DH is right but I would imagine whoever you passed them to would be grateful enough NOT to sue you?

juneybean Mon 26-May-14 15:49:48

If you're local and have gonal-f I'll take them off your hands ;)

howitis Mon 26-May-14 15:50:27

I donated mine back to the clinic, is that an option for you?

Smartiepants79 Mon 26-May-14 15:52:21

Very dodgy ground.
It is illegal and you can be arrested and charged with distributing a controlled substance.(I believe)
Your DH is right. What if it did all go terribly wrong. I don't know what the side affects might be but you would have no legal leg to stand on.

howitis Mon 26-May-14 15:53:54

Sorry, just read again and to late for that.

WorraLiberty Mon 26-May-14 15:54:23

howitis, isn't that just the normal drug disposal thing though?

My Dr tells everyone to dispose of all unwanted drugs at either the surgery, or the local Chemist.

Then they dispose of them carefully.

thebodylovesspring Mon 26-May-14 15:54:42

You would be mad to do this.

Drug dealing, with it without profit, isn't a game.

Give them back to the clinic or dispose.

You could get into serious trouble here.

fuzzpig Mon 26-May-14 15:56:24

It's a shame but your DH is right. Not worth the risk sad

howitis Mon 26-May-14 15:57:12

Worra this was back in 2008, but they did say they would use them for others and seemed really grateful.

Shroomboom Mon 26-May-14 15:57:42

I have Cetrotide and 40 vials of Menopur. Am in Belgium and most of it is funded over here so the clinic gives them away for 'free' really. I could give it all back to them, or take them to the pharmacy for them to dispose of them but it just seems such a shame when so many people have to pay a fortune for them in the UK sad

Shroomboom Mon 26-May-14 15:59:20

Okay, sounds like it's not the risk or stress sad Will take them to the pharmacy. Thanks all!

GeordieMama Mon 26-May-14 16:01:03

I know where you're coming from, I had brief but similar thoughts about my unused clomid. However you can't predict how other people will react to the drugs and the fact they will be taking them without medical supervision is a massive risk.

I think you're kind to want to help others but in reality you'd be putting them in danger.

WorraLiberty Mon 26-May-14 16:01:28

That's unusual howitis because returned medicines are supposed to be safely destroyed by clinics and pharmacies.

I think it's mostly due to contamination risk/not knowing exactly how they have been stored.

threedeer Mon 26-May-14 16:03:40

One IVF centre in London has a noticeboard where people request left over drugs and the hospital condones it. So long as they're in date and identical to what has been prescribed anyway.

howitis Mon 26-May-14 16:08:08

Thank goodness none of the bottles had my details on. I just handed them over and thought nothing else of it.

I would never have given them to someone wanting to use them though.

Shroomboom Tue 27-May-14 22:01:24

Just to update - I popped into my fertility clinic today, and although the hospital won't accept them back the midwife I spoke to will, and will pass them onto another clinic who will give them to people who can't afford to buy them but are not eligible for funding. I'm very happy with this.
Thanks for all your advice everyone smile

Coconutty Tue 27-May-14 22:04:22

What lovely thing for the clinic to do on your behalf. Let's hope they help someone.

maggiethemagpie Tue 27-May-14 22:12:36

I had some clomid left over after I conceived DD and kind of wanted to give it away to help someone else..but then I thought if they had a reaction I'd be sorry. So I didn't. I threw them away which seemed a shame at the time but I wasn't going to be responsible for someone else getting ill.

ICanSeeTheSun Tue 27-May-14 22:19:24

I don't know nothing about ivf, but I would imagine a women would have to go through some basic medical in order to make sure they are safe and suitable.

Your heart is in the right place, but I don't think you thought about it.

Please just dispose of them, because if suspect anyone on fertility drugs would have to be closely monitored.

Lauren83 Wed 28-May-14 00:16:04

Hello

I donated a full set to someone on here, I had everything and never started my cycle, was on max dose of menopur too, we made contact on FB so she could see I wasn't a time waster and we met for coffee and stayed in touch, saved her about 1k I think

Lauren83 Wed 28-May-14 00:17:30

Icansee I don't think OP means for DIY ivf, when you have a cycle you have to buy the meds and they cost a fortune, it would be to a lady undergoing a cycle at a clinic

ikeaismylocal Wed 28-May-14 06:19:08

Yanbu.

I also live in a country with fully funded IVF, I picked up all the drugs and got pregnant naturally a week later (I got my bfp the day before IVF was due to start) I took the drugs back to the chemist, they were unopened and I had very carefully stored them ( fridge door not at the back of the fridge for the temperature sensitive drugs) the chemist wouldn't take them back as they said they couldn't guarantee that I had stored them properly.

I took them home and ment to try to find a home for them, it was tricky because everyone in the country I live in gets free IVF and I wasn't traveling to the UK that year.

The drugs eventually went out of date sad it was over £1000 pounds worth of drugs. I still feel bad for not finding a use for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now