Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To ask friend not to smoke outside when my washing is hanging out?

(35 Posts)
HannerHet Mon 26-May-14 15:35:43

I don't smoke, but if anyone that visits wants to they can go outside the back door. I have my washing out there at the moment and asked a friend not to smoke there and go out the front. Is that stupid? Is it likely to make it smell or will it just go up in the air?
They said ok, looked at me a bit funny and then put it out blush

WetAugust Mon 26-May-14 16:08:45

You are being ultra precious. I doubt you could even find a molecule of smoke in your washing.

HannerHet Mon 26-May-14 16:08:53

4littleones I had just nipped to the shop for milk for a cup of tea so wasn't here when he lit it

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Mon 26-May-14 16:10:47

I'm a non-smoker too, as is DP!

HannerHet Mon 26-May-14 16:12:34

Im going to get it in soon, will give it a good sniff and see if I can smell anything smile

TestingTestingWonTooFree Mon 26-May-14 16:14:31

I think YANBU, I wouldn't be happy. I have smelt smoke on my clothes after being near a smoker.

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Mon 26-May-14 16:20:12

Im going to get it in soon, will give it a good sniff and see if I can smell anything

You probably will, through sheer determination wink

WorraLiberty Mon 26-May-14 16:21:52

We could probably smell a Sparrow's fart if we all sniffed our washing grin

HannerHet Mon 26-May-14 16:23:24

I love sniffing washing, especially bedding wink

PrincessBabyCat Mon 26-May-14 16:31:52

I don't blame you I hate the smell of cigarette smoke, and I can definitely smell it even when people smoke outside blowing smoke out down wind. It's a horrible, distracting smell. I don't even let smokers in my house sit on my furniture if they smell. I'm probably precious, but I'd rather be unreasonable then be unable to sit on my couch and enjoy a movie ever again. I've made my DH strip down in the kitchen when he's been around people that smoke. That smell just sticks to everything. I have sensory issues though, so tuning out a feint scent would just be out of the realm of possibility for me.

HippyPottyMouth Mon 26-May-14 22:02:05

I'm an ex-smoker and I don't think you need to worry. My friend had a cigarette in my garden sitting directly under the washing line and I couldn't smell it on the washing, even sniffing specifically for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now