Grade 2 piano help.

(18 Posts)
Carrie5608 Sun 25-May-14 23:41:17

Dd is taking grade 2 piano ABRSM in two weeks. The teacher has written pencil marks on the pieces to help with fingering etc but now says Dd must rub them out for the exam. Is this true?

Dd will really struggle as she relies on these. She plays mainly by ear & struggles with actually reading the notes but is fairly good.

she passed Grade 1 with distinction but I can't remember about pencil marks or not.

Panic has set it as so close to exam.

hmc Sun 25-May-14 23:44:17

Yes it is true. You must erase pencil marks.

Don't we all struggle with sight reading! (I'm an adult learner)

BakeOLiteGirl Sun 25-May-14 23:52:38

If she's struggling to read the notes two weeks before a piano exam I would be getting a new teacher.

Carrie5608 Mon 26-May-14 00:15:27

After this exam she will most likely give up. sad

okeydonkey Mon 26-May-14 00:19:05

I didn't have to rub out my pencil marks in my piano exams and I've done 4. They were ABRSM and the fourth I did in 2012

Cooroo Mon 26-May-14 00:21:13

I've just taken grade 5 and had pencil marks all over. I've never heard they should be removed. Seems odd the teacher should say this.

Hakluyt Mon 26-May-14 00:22:18

If the teacher is putting her forward for an exam and she can't read the notes, then sack the teacher. No question.

Cooroo Mon 26-May-14 00:25:11

Google it. There is discussion on the ABRSM site and consensus is anything goes. Teachers disagree if it is good practice but the board don't care.

BakeOLiteGirl Mon 26-May-14 01:43:44

When learning the set pieces I used copies which were marked and took the fresh book into the exam. Once I got to grades 6,7,8 and beyond it was all done from memory anyway.

I remember many years ago there was something called the Suzuki method. Don't really know anything about it because I was classically trained. I know it was used with violins. But if your daughter has a good ear but doesn't get on with music it might be worth looking at.

Binglesplodge Mon 26-May-14 07:45:41

If it's ABRSM, they don't have rules about markings on copies - it sounds more like a preference of the teacher's to make sure her pupils have learned the pieces well enough not to need markings before the exam. The teacher should know the exam board doesn't forbid pencil markings but if he/she insists then perhaps you could rub them out very lightly and claim they wouldn't come off...?

Cereal0ffender Mon 26-May-14 07:48:32

Dd kept the pencil marks and took a clean photocopy of her pieces for the theory part.

Retropear Mon 26-May-14 07:49:35

My son didn't have to.

HexBramble Mon 26-May-14 07:50:55

Playing well by ear is quite something, but it's going to stuff up her chances of sight reading and long term piano playing is reading music.

I'd agree that a new teacher is in order. Maybe a compromise? If she wants to give up, promise her she can providing she gives it one last go?

goshhhhhh Mon 26-May-14 07:53:53

No you do not have to remove pencil marks. Must be your teacher's preference. Rather than giving up I would think of trying a new teacher.

PunkrockerGirl Mon 26-May-14 07:57:12

My DH is a piano teacher and he's never heard of this.

Normalisavariantofcrazy Mon 26-May-14 08:03:18

Keep the markings, removing them or giving her a new book will more than likely throw her off as it'll be unfamiliar to her

Oh and get a new teacher

Retropear Mon 26-May-14 08:03:54

My son's piano teacher is amazing.100% pass rate mostly merits and distinctions,kids adore her,her lessons and the piano.Massive waiting list.She's extremely thorough,honestly if it's ok by her I doubt it's mandatory.Check(and maybe find a new teacher).

Good luck,I hate piano exam time!grin

guineapig1 Mon 26-May-14 08:10:44

Another on here saying to leave them in. Having done many many exams with ABRSM over the years pencil marks on the music has never been an issue!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now