Was at One Direction concert in Dublin last night and can't help feeling that...

(207 Posts)
NeverTalksToStrangers Sat 24-May-14 21:38:41

... they are short-changing everyone a bit?

I enjoyed it but it just wasn't that spectacular.
They are good looking lads,they have some good songs and they can sing but it was all a bit 'meh' for me. It didn't help that it was cold and rained a bit, but still.

I wouldn't say I was a westlife fan but i've been to a good few of their concerts and really enjoyed them (I used to accompany my little cousin so her mum didn't have to go). Any other pop band would have dancers etc. Little mix for example - would LOVE to see them live. They had nothing, and only 'changed their outfits' by putting on more layers because it was fecking baltic in croke park. I get that the dancing and different/unusual costumes thing isn't their M-O but why the feck not? It's not like their fan base is incredibly mature and too old for a bit of cheese? Plus, so many album tracks. Ok for the die hard twitter teens, but not so good for all the mummies (or aunties in my case (I have 2 DSs (5 and 2) so not with me) and younger fans (of which their were thousands. Not one cover either. I love an alternative, unexpected cover, but no.

Even the staging and special effects were just ok. No massive surprises. There a bit in the middle which was a bit unexpected but the rest was just par for the course. The techies behind the bits that appeared on the big screens behind them put in much more effort than all the boys combined.

They did all seem to be genuinely chuffed for Niall, who did seem to be v emotional at playing in Croke park (v much considered sacred ground in ireland) and they mentioned a few times that it was the biggest crowd they had ever played to.

Maybe I have the wrong idea about it all. I'm sure plenty of you are going in the coming weeks. You might love it.

NeverTalksToStrangers Tue 10-Jun-14 20:40:11

I wasn't looking for problems with it. I had bought a ticket for myself to go with my sisters and their daughters. I was just genuinely disappointed.

PrimalLass Mon 09-Jun-14 19:17:41

I think a few days off must have helped (they were staying in St Andrews for at least one night). They certainly were ill at Murrayfield - Harry didn't sing at all and Zayn looked bored at the start. We still loved it though (me and my 6-YEAR-OLD, for all those on the other thread who think that I shouldn't have spent that money taking her).

We skipped the encore and were on the tram at 9.55 then home in Fife by 11.

Samanthabooty Mon 09-Jun-14 19:08:55

I personally feel that you must have been looking for problems with the concert to me as I went on both Saturday and Sunday as was blown away with how good it was,the boys was dancing round the stage singing and having a laugh with fans,they didn't look tired and were very grateful to the whole crowd for being there,overall was a very good night

Yeah my dad picked them up said traffic was awful. Never got to my brothers in Livingston until 1am shock dd and my mum for on a tram from Murrayfield to where he was picking them up, then they missed their stop, then the trams stopped running and then started again, then went at 3mph in single file. All in all a good night though and dd had a great time. Spoke to her before I took ds to school and she was boasting about seeing 5sos because she knows I like them. grin

Groovee Wed 04-Jun-14 08:47:46

Traffic was hideous. I'd arranged to meet dh at the bowling club but he was stuck in traffic, so told him to make a right hand turn and we walked the extra few minutes and were home by 10.50pm.

Groovee Wed 04-Jun-14 08:46:12

Yes, they were last year too. I love them. Their debut album comes out on 30th June xx

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 04-Jun-14 08:44:59

We had a fabulous time last night, didn't see any trouble from where we were, but then we were up on the disabled stand.
Traffic was beyond hideous though, it took more thsn two hours to get ftom the statium to the holiday inn by the zoo.

dancemom Wed 04-Jun-14 08:31:08

Yes it was 5SOS and they were great!

Totally missing the point of the whole thread but 5SOS were the support act last night??
Dd was there with my mum was easier for her to take her but now I'm disappointed grin I quite like 5SOS.
Can't wait for dd to get back today and hear all about it.

Groovee Wed 04-Jun-14 07:24:14

I paid £47 per ticket by the time you added on the booking charges (that's another rant).

5 Seconds of Summer were 30 minutes late on, 1D were then late too but finished when they said they would the girls loved them.

I did prefer 5SOS as I liked them last year. They did well considering the constant touring is taking its toll as Harry was ill and struggling to talk. But we had a good view, the 6 girls with me had a ball and after all the palava, why were under 12's allowed on the pitch?? After all the controversy in the papers, they allowed them on!

Did see one very drunk woman arrested though. Not a great scene when 3 police officers had to restrain her and then stop her from lashing out at them.

Freckletoes Tue 03-Jun-14 01:53:09

I was at the same gig as you spooky and agree completely! I was chaperone to 3 very excited girls who loved it but I wasn't particularly impressed. Yes they could sing but most of the time they just wandered around the stage. Zayn could have done with some of the fireworks up his backside! Louis didn't do much either. Maybe both keeping a low profile? On the whole they looked like a bunch of unwashed teenagers who had just picked up their clothes from the floor and were being made to do something they didn't want!

I think the difference with McBusted is they've spent the last x number of years not being particularly 'famous' anymore, and they know what life is like when the camera isn't on them any more. That' bound to make you want to put in more effort.

1D don't get any privacy, they're in a band none of them planned to be in, probably singing songs that they don't have any interest in. I really like 1D, but I get the feeling that even though they appreciate what they have to an extent, they are waiting for the madness to finish so they can get on with what they want to do. Can you imagine being a 17/18 year old boy, trying to break into the music industry to sing your type of music, and then being told that actually you're going to be with 4 others who you have never met, you're going to be singing cheesy pop, and that your target market is 10 year olds? Thats never going to be a teenage lads dream!

NeverTalksToStrangers Mon 02-Jun-14 08:00:05

It was more than £40 per ticket. Almost £70 I think.

TOADfan Mon 02-Jun-14 00:13:04

I don't mind some of 1Ds songs but im not a fan. I can see why it would be disappointing. If you spend £40 on a concert ticket you expect a show. I still remember my first concert (steps) and it is for the show they put on.

I went all the way to Manchester from Belfast for the Mcbusted show. (Playing here tonight wish I was there) and it was incredible. So much energy! They owned the stage and god they jumped and ran about so much. They also looked as if they where having the time oc their lives. They may be 10 years older than 1d but it did work in their favour, they spend their spare time wating healthy, working out and not drinking. You could tell thr difference.

yes I am a mcbusted fangirl, my favourite bands growing up

NeverTalksToStrangers Sun 01-Jun-14 23:26:07

Dublin was no under 14s unaccompanied and under 16s on the pitch.

Groovee Sun 01-Jun-14 19:54:34

Murrayfield are saying under 16's on the pitch need to be accompanied and under 12's in the seating area

SistersOfPercy Sun 01-Jun-14 19:45:34

So much music snobbery on here it's untrue. So bloody what if some folk like listening to a manufactured boy band. They probably have Chopin on their iPods as well.
Would you turn up to watch the chippendales and expect it to be on a par with Hamlet? No? So don't turn up to a 1D concert and expect it to be the bloody Royal Philharmonic.

Susie, didn't see any checks last night. I'd seen something about no under 10s standing as well but there were a few we saw.

TheBogQueen Sun 01-Jun-14 19:10:30

Poor dad at a 1D vomcert

I am truly grateful that we cannot afford tickets, silver lining etc

Susiesue61 Sun 01-Jun-14 19:06:40

At the arena in Liverpool they say under14 need to be accompanied. Don't know how they check

SwedishEdith Sun 01-Jun-14 18:05:32

Are some of these venues saying no under 16s without an adult? Thankfully my teen was already over 1D by the time she got to see them on their first tour and the parents could just drop and collect at the venue

spookyskeleton Sun 01-Jun-14 17:53:46

But Take That were a boyband too and I went to one of their concerts in the early 90s and it was a spectacular show - just because you are a boyband is not an excuse to not make any effort hmm

Mignonette Sun 01-Jun-14 17:39:26

Big clue.....^It was a One Direction concert^ - a boy band put together by the Duplo Man - Simon Cowell.

To expect anything other than mediocre manufactured crap in an atmosphere of soulless profiteering is surely the absolute definition of blind faith?

SistersOfPercy Sun 01-Jun-14 17:36:14

Quick pic from last night

SistersOfPercy Sun 01-Jun-14 17:33:24

Well, we saw them last night, (DD 16 and friends with kids aged 4 and 6), we had a brilliant night. If anyone saw me I was the one in the Metallica shirt who really wasn't that bothered about going but went anyway for the experience and to keep DD happy.
We sang, we danced, it was fun. We also had the Mexican waves and the Macarena.

My only complaint would be the pyrotechnics in the first song left a cloud of smoke which obscured the stage for the first couple of songs, other than that it was brilliant.

I'm a diehard metal fan, this was my first 'pop' concert. Credit to the boys they can sing and they put on a show. It wouldn't have chosen to go personally but I'm very glad I did and much fun was had by all.

So it's cheesy pop, I don't think anyone expected Beethoven. Who cares really as long as a good night is had? grin
If you are going tonight, ENJOY!!

mumofthemonsters808 Sun 01-Jun-14 15:25:51

We saw them in Manchester on Friday and DD and her friends had a whale of a time. She really likes Five Seconds Of Summer (the support act) so it was a dream come true for her to see her favourite bands in one night. The atmosphere in the stadium was buzzing, lots of Mexican waves and Hey Macalana dance all added to the fun. Kids had a ball, not my cup of tea musically, but I just enjoyed watching all the fun and seeing the joy and delight in the children's faces. Maybe we're just easily pleased or don't get out often. Metro took us straight home so for us it was just one of those evenings where everything worked out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now