Was at One Direction concert in Dublin last night and can't help feeling that...

(207 Posts)
NeverTalksToStrangers Sat 24-May-14 21:38:41

... they are short-changing everyone a bit?

I enjoyed it but it just wasn't that spectacular.
They are good looking lads,they have some good songs and they can sing but it was all a bit 'meh' for me. It didn't help that it was cold and rained a bit, but still.

I wouldn't say I was a westlife fan but i've been to a good few of their concerts and really enjoyed them (I used to accompany my little cousin so her mum didn't have to go). Any other pop band would have dancers etc. Little mix for example - would LOVE to see them live. They had nothing, and only 'changed their outfits' by putting on more layers because it was fecking baltic in croke park. I get that the dancing and different/unusual costumes thing isn't their M-O but why the feck not? It's not like their fan base is incredibly mature and too old for a bit of cheese? Plus, so many album tracks. Ok for the die hard twitter teens, but not so good for all the mummies (or aunties in my case (I have 2 DSs (5 and 2) so not with me) and younger fans (of which their were thousands. Not one cover either. I love an alternative, unexpected cover, but no.

Even the staging and special effects were just ok. No massive surprises. There a bit in the middle which was a bit unexpected but the rest was just par for the course. The techies behind the bits that appeared on the big screens behind them put in much more effort than all the boys combined.

They did all seem to be genuinely chuffed for Niall, who did seem to be v emotional at playing in Croke park (v much considered sacred ground in ireland) and they mentioned a few times that it was the biggest crowd they had ever played to.

Maybe I have the wrong idea about it all. I'm sure plenty of you are going in the coming weeks. You might love it.

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 04-Jun-14 08:44:59

We had a fabulous time last night, didn't see any trouble from where we were, but then we were up on the disabled stand.
Traffic was beyond hideous though, it took more thsn two hours to get ftom the statium to the holiday inn by the zoo.

Groovee Wed 04-Jun-14 08:46:12

Yes, they were last year too. I love them. Their debut album comes out on 30th June xx

Groovee Wed 04-Jun-14 08:47:46

Traffic was hideous. I'd arranged to meet dh at the bowling club but he was stuck in traffic, so told him to make a right hand turn and we walked the extra few minutes and were home by 10.50pm.

Yeah my dad picked them up said traffic was awful. Never got to my brothers in Livingston until 1am shock dd and my mum for on a tram from Murrayfield to where he was picking them up, then they missed their stop, then the trams stopped running and then started again, then went at 3mph in single file. All in all a good night though and dd had a great time. Spoke to her before I took ds to school and she was boasting about seeing 5sos because she knows I like them. grin

Samanthabooty Mon 09-Jun-14 19:08:55

I personally feel that you must have been looking for problems with the concert to me as I went on both Saturday and Sunday as was blown away with how good it was,the boys was dancing round the stage singing and having a laugh with fans,they didn't look tired and were very grateful to the whole crowd for being there,overall was a very good night

PrimalLass Mon 09-Jun-14 19:17:41

I think a few days off must have helped (they were staying in St Andrews for at least one night). They certainly were ill at Murrayfield - Harry didn't sing at all and Zayn looked bored at the start. We still loved it though (me and my 6-YEAR-OLD, for all those on the other thread who think that I shouldn't have spent that money taking her).

We skipped the encore and were on the tram at 9.55 then home in Fife by 11.

NeverTalksToStrangers Tue 10-Jun-14 20:40:11

I wasn't looking for problems with it. I had bought a ticket for myself to go with my sisters and their daughters. I was just genuinely disappointed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now