Should I move to Grange Over Sands with 2 young children?

(54 Posts)
Lepaskilf Mon 19-May-14 19:04:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wetoopere Mon 19-May-14 19:10:35

I live near there. Grange has an older population but schools are all ok, all smaller ones in the grange peninsula. Don't know much about activities for smaller children.

I'd choose Kendal or Ulverston over Grange as there's more going on but it depends what you're looking for.

OhBabyLilyMunster Mon 19-May-14 19:13:54

Grange is a bit boring for kids tbh

mumblechum1 Mon 19-May-14 19:23:27

It is very much a retirement mecca. Ulverston is only another 20 mins down the road and much livelier. Going there tomorrow as it happens smile

manicinsomniac Mon 19-May-14 19:24:41

When I was growing up (in Kendal) Grange was known as a giant retirement home.

Shockers Mon 19-May-14 19:31:00

I lived in Ulverston as a child and my parents have moved back there about 10 years ago. It's a great place for community stuff that spans the generations. Grange is lovely but there isn't as much going on.

Lepaskilf Mon 19-May-14 19:59:23

Wetoopere Mon 19-May-14 20:04:49

Ulverston or Kendal then. Ulverston is smaller and good community. Easy to do outdoors stuff from there , good schools VERY good pubs and loads going on. Couldn't find a link with all the festivals but it was flags last week ( better than it sounds!) , food this weekend, gardens, music, art, walking, carnivals, lanterns, Dickensian.

Groovee Mon 19-May-14 20:16:13

We found it ok for a short break but I would go for one of the bigger towns nearby. The Pheasant Inn at Allithwaite was fab!

maddy68 Mon 19-May-14 20:18:29

No it's a retirement place. Absolutely nothing to do for children and even worse teenagers! The schools aren't that great either IMHO

manicinsomniac Mon 19-May-14 20:26:05

I think Kendal would be a brilliant compromise for your family.

I moved there from a deprived area of a city when I was 8. It was brilliant. Big enough for all the extra curriculars you are likely to want (I did lots of dance, brownies/guides, youth theatre, youth orchestra, youth choir and I had friends who did athletics, gymnastics, hockey, skiing and probably several other things I can't remember).

Yet, from my house, I could walk into open countryside and up a scar within 15 minutes, we could go on family walks into the lakes and up mountains at the weekends (though, ironically, the longer we lived there the less we did that) and there was Lake Windermere fewer than 10 miles away for those keen on water sports.

The schools were all at least reasonable and several were very good. There is no state-private angst as there are no private schools unless you want to travel 10 miles plus. Everyone goes to one of two secondaries and everyone used to get their school of choice (don't know if they still do).

It's safe enough for pre teens/young teens to go into town with their friends and play/hang out outside without adults. And I believe it has both the only pub on church land in the country and has the most (or one of the most) pubs per square mile in the country too! Some of the pubs you wouldn't touch with a barge pole but others are nice.

As a young graduate it seemed like a dead end place I would never go back to (a lot of the work is seasonal and there is a lot of hidden deprivation and low aspiration) but I do think it's a great place to raise a family. I suppose the population is quite polarised but I think you get that anywhere.

Wetoopere Mon 19-May-14 20:26:11

You'd constantly be giving lifts to teens as secondary covers a wide area with no public transport to get them to each other's houses!

OhBabyLilyMunster Mon 19-May-14 21:02:26

I would go for ulverston. I live further on in barrow (how common!) and i would move to ulverston in a heartbeat. Good schools, amazing community, always loads going on, twenty minutes from bowness or the beach.

Animation Mon 19-May-14 21:08:41

I find esturies rather depressing places. Remember very clealy the 'beware of quicksand' signs at Grange over Sands! Not a place for kids confused

Lepaskilf Mon 19-May-14 21:12:25

bringbacksideburns Mon 19-May-14 21:18:07

Grange is lovely but we felt like young whippersnappers on a weekend there and we're middleaged. Never seen so many motorbility scooters and old folk!

Kendal is a good compromise. Retire to Grange!

Shockers Tue 20-May-14 06:57:32

When you go to look at Ulverston, have a drive down the coast rd too. I spent a lot of time playing on that pebbly beach as a child. If you park up near the Fisherman's Arms at Baycliffe and walk down one of the little lanes to the beach, there's a flat rock (as you walk to the left) with carving on it. It's fabulous! A group of friends spent the summer down there in the 70s and carved in the story of that summer, complete with the music, film and politics of that year. We call it Mermaid's Rock; hardly anyone knows it's there.
Also, walk through the trees at Conishead Priory... they're amazing shapes!
Hope you find somewhere you like. I was born in Kendal, but lived longer in Ulverston; they're both great places.

Lepaskilf Tue 20-May-14 07:01:24

Wetoopere Tue 20-May-14 07:25:04

Fishermans Arms does lovely food...

<danger of me getting sidetracked drooling over food>

OhBabyLilyMunster Tue 20-May-14 07:32:15

Dont forget Roys icecream for pudding!

ponders the greatness of south cumbria

MaoamMuncher Tue 20-May-14 09:49:30

Seriously, don't even consider Grange. Those young children will grow up and won't thank you for it !! It's known as 'Gods waiting room' for a reason wink

I agree with regards to Kendal or Ulverston, both are near enough to Grange to visit regularly. Cark and Cartmel is a nice village too.

mumblechum1 Tue 20-May-14 09:57:40

It's nice to see so many Old Ulverstonians on this thread; I moved away 23 years ago and never meet anyone in RL who's heard of it.
Sorry to hijack but I'm on a train there now to see my elderly parents and wonder if anyone can recommend a nice place for afternoon tea/an easy garden visit?
Thx

MaoamMuncher Tue 20-May-14 09:58:40

Roys ices are now famous on mumsnet, I feel quite tearful........it's a shabby old hut, but it's our hut.

Ps, carry on down the coastroad and you'll come to Roa island, Roa is the.home of the bosuns locker whixh sells the best egg and chips this side of the UK.........it also overlooks Piel island, which you can visit via the little ferry. There's a pub and castle on Piel, and you can camp. It's a little gem of a place and one of our best kept secrets.

Piccy thing won't work but here's a link for you to drool at. [[ www.google.co.uk/search?q=piel+island&client=ms-android-hms-tef-gb&hl=en-GB&source=android-browser-type&v=133247963&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=xRh7U9XQCMSBOKbOgPgD&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=320&bih=508#facrc=_&imgrc=Xrvy-cPrEbB_GM%253A%3BkYdElfsHmQW2EM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fim.ft-static.com%252Fcontent%252Fimages%252Fec8fff0a-b3fc-11e0-8339-00144feabdc0.img%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ft.com%252Fcms%252Fs%252F2%252Fbeae27fa-adf9-11e0-a2ab-00144feabdc0.html%3B566%3B33]]1

MaoamMuncher Tue 20-May-14 10:00:44

Mumble, Crooklands garden centre at Dalton has a lovely cafe. Used to be able to get a fab tea in the glass place but it's gone now sad

WillGardnersNose Tue 20-May-14 10:11:06

How on earth have you become 'drawn' to Grange confused out of everywhere in South Cumbria!?

I would also like to throw Milnthorpe into the mix - its more like Grange than Kendal or Ulverston but unlike Grange has much better transport links and a choice of good schools nearby. Like Grange it has a very good butchers (the only reason I would ever go to Grange is for Higginsons the butchers) and its own community feel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now