to ask how many of you boycott Nestle?

(127 Posts)
Miren Wed 14-May-14 12:45:52

Just noticed the stamp on the MN homepage and wondered how many of you do it.

I have for about 5 years, and even DH and DC are careful with what they choose when shopping (not been persuaded by me, they've just picked it up I guess). DH even decided to return a coffee machine bought by his DF for Christmas because it would mean buying the pods from Nestle

I try really hard! They are bloody everywhere though aren't they.

NaturalBaby Wed 14-May-14 12:49:49

As much as I can. I looked up which companies/brands were owned by them and it's very difficult to avoid them all!

Deliaskis Wed 14-May-14 12:49:52

Yes as much as possible, as in any product I know about. Have done since student days so about 18 years.

I try but it's hard

Tinkerball Wed 14-May-14 12:50:56

No

TheTerribleBaroness Wed 14-May-14 12:51:05

I do and DH avoids nestle but usually forgets about all their other brands.

ProfessorDent Wed 14-May-14 12:52:04

Aren't they trying to revamp their image by planting lots of trees or something? Can someone remind me of why Nestle are bad by providing a link?

That said, if they brought back that box of yummy chocolate Neopolitans I enjoyed every Christmas in the 1970s while watching the Snow Queen on telly, I'd forgive all their sins.

msmoss Wed 14-May-14 12:52:21

I do although, I'm sure their products slip through the net occasionally due to my lack of awareness of branding. It took me a while to realise that they had bought SMA for example.

greenbananas Wed 14-May-14 12:52:57

I do, and have done for years.

However, I do make an exception for nesquick, because I can't find an equivalent product which is not made by nestle - ds is allergic to dairy, and I flavour his soya milk with nesquick so he will drink it. Similarly, I sometimes buy a guilty box of cheerios, because the supermarket own brand has milk in and ds can't eat them.

I feel bad about buying even a few nestle products. ..

Miren Wed 14-May-14 12:53:06

I found when I switched our diet to mainly fresh, organic and unprocessed it became a lot easier. Chocolate is tricky... but the DC seem to know which to avoid. Drives me up the wall when PIL people bring round a Milkybar for the kids, knowing that we boycott.

Catnuzzle Wed 14-May-14 12:53:29

I do try but I love Kitkats

ruby1234 Wed 14-May-14 12:53:58

No. There is a huge factory in my town - if everyone avoided Nestle all those people would be out of a job.

dawndonnaagain Wed 14-May-14 12:54:05

I have been for around 20 years, all my dcs do too.

HalfATankini Wed 14-May-14 12:54:38

I don't.

Feminine Wed 14-May-14 12:55:18

I don't.

Miren Wed 14-May-14 12:55:47
wannaBe Wed 14-May-14 12:55:51

nope.

Most large companies have some kind of dubious practices, it just isn't possible to boycott them all.

Miren Wed 14-May-14 12:55:59

Link fail!

HalfSpamHalfBrisket Wed 14-May-14 12:56:06

Yes I do. I don't by much processed stuff or brands so it's OK.

Blueberrybaby Wed 14-May-14 12:56:38

No.

Miren Wed 14-May-14 12:57:41

info ink{http://info.babymilkaction.org/nestlefree\info.babymilkaction.org/nestlefre]]e}

NoodleOodle Wed 14-May-14 12:57:51

I did as a child, but don't bother anymore.

msmoss Wed 14-May-14 12:58:13

info.babymilkaction.org/nestlefree

They are very agressive in how they market baby milk products in the developing world and basically encourage mothers without access to clean water to feed their babies formula made with unsafe water rather than breast feed.

There are some very interesting cost breakdowns on the baby milk action website about how much money from each formula purchase funds the advertising budget.

The argue net for those of us lucky enough not to be affected by issues of safe drinking water, being not that formula is bad but that the corporate model places a large financial burden on the mothers that can least afford it.

Miren Wed 14-May-14 12:58:17

argh!

Link

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now