to not want to wake up smelling other tennants smoke?

(38 Posts)
Grumpyrealist77 Wed 14-May-14 05:58:17

I live in a council flat attempting to raise DS1 and DS2 as healthily as possible.
We like to have the little windows slightly ajar all year round so we can get some fresh air flowing. The couple upstairs, who are fortunate enough to have bought their flat, have two very young children, so the dad sits in the stairwell puffing away. (Thoughtful, at least he cares about his own).
There are signs up saying no smoking in the communal stairway which he ignores. His second hand smoke somehow gets in through our front door.
The younger couple downstairs who are private renters also have a young toddler.
Daddy is not allowed to smoke at all, but does so at work and when his partner is out. (I used to work at the same place as him,always saw him taking fag breaks)
When smoking indoors he does it standing on a chair out of a small window so so he can spot his partner coming home. Personally i don't buy this as an effective way of not being caught. She must smell it?! Anyway, his smoke drifts right up and is funnelled in by our windows.
I hate it.
I don't mind people's rights to do this and that, but at least think of those it innocently affects!
Cigarette smokers are a bit thick in this day and age, including members of my extended family, to still be spunking their money and health away on something that 'feels nice'...
Sorry, had to get this off my chest!

If you have beaten addiction yourself then you must have an idea of just how hard it is?

It's all well and good coming out the other side of an addiction and saying, bloody hell that was a stupid thing to start. But people who are addicted right now probably do not need to be called thick and have someone say "well I did it. So now you must do it"

I was a smoker for 16 years. Started when I was young, with my friends. I am in the process of giving up, with the help of an e cig (1 week in) and it is HARD

I don't expect everyone to rush out and do the same.

JCDenton Wed 14-May-14 10:04:10

Also maybe they just like to smoke. For all my problems with next door's smoke, if someone wants to smoke, do it, just be considerate, much like anything else in the world.

pianodoodle Wed 14-May-14 11:03:14

So sorry for not proof reading my predictive text, your a little unreasonable you'reself...

Your phone sounds very controlling.

SaucyJack Wed 14-May-14 11:13:23

You're obviously being too non-confrontational with the bloke upstairs then.

Owllady Wed 14-May-14 11:23:14

Could you build them a little smoking shelter out of two bits of 2 by 2 and a windbreak?

If this doesn't work, tar and feather them it's the only way

Our neighbours in the flat underneath us smoke. It comes into our flat when we both have the windows open, and it drives me mad. They also smoke in the stairwell when arriving or leaving the house, and it comes in under our front door. We have two DC (2yo and 3mo) and I hate having to shut windows/balcony door because of it, especially now the weather is warmer.

We are trying to move, but it's not all that easy finding a house we like that we can afford.

I used to smoke, and I never knew just how bad it stank. I honestly thought the smell faded as soon as I had put the cigarette out.

YANBU.

Feminine Wed 14-May-14 11:49:58

YANBU.

You must be frustrated, but smokers are not "thick" you know wink

Anyway, I'd complain to the council. I don't think it matters that they own their flat ...you have a right to enjoy cleaner air.

We lived in a flat with this same problem. It was ironic as the Dad in question was smoking outside his home because he didn't want his children breathing the smoky air.

Ours on the other hand...

Feminine Wed 14-May-14 11:51:34

I was useless at dealing with it, I just used to glare and stare harder out of our spy hole! confused

Go on...complain properly for both of us

NomDePrune Wed 14-May-14 12:05:19

Maybe not thick, but they are certainly blind and deaf smile
Anything to do with passive smoking or smelling of smoke is 'impossible' as is the idea that smoke can infiltrate buildings and permeate clothes and linger for days. DP I'm looking at you and yes, that is why we don't live together.
OP, at least your neighbours are aware they shouldn't smoke inside where there are children. Have you tried smoke draught excluders for the front door?

Owllady Wed 14-May-14 12:11:26

Are there no smoke detectors in the stair well? Surely it's against fire regs not to have them there?

Latara Wed 14-May-14 12:22:25

Reminds me of when I lived in shared accommodation - one of my neighbours smoked 40 a day and I not only had to smell his smoke but also heard his hacking cough every morning.

Worse though was one of my neighbours who smoked skunk heavily every evening - the corridor stank when I went to use the bathroom and made all my clothes smell of it.

gamerchick Wed 14-May-14 12:53:18

I was useless at dealing with it, I just used to glare and stare harder out of our spy hole!

Is that the same as when somebody pushes in front of you and you glare furiously at the back of their head? grin

Grumpy, you only know how hard your addictions were for you to beat.

But yes, report to the council, what he is doing is illegal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now