would you keep the money **spoiler alert** [edited by MNHQ]

(46 Posts)
montysma1 Wed 14-May-14 00:22:38

Watching Fargo this evening and a character finds a suitcase of a large amount of money buried in the snow, witnessess. He keeps it, goes on to run a succesfull business and becomes very rich.

Would you keep the money? Hand it in?

montysma1 Wed 14-May-14 00:23:30

#no witnessess#

At this moment in time quite likely because I am in desperate need of money grin

I'd be worried some king pin/mafia type might come and kill me though.

paperbaghag Wed 14-May-14 00:26:06

Discussing this with DH earlier! The temptation to keep it would be huge, but just taking a bit would be less noticeable. We'd feel better about it because only crooks leave huge bags of cash lying around...!

However, the risk of the notes being marked or a tracker in the bag would be so big... Would it be worth either being suspected of theft or living your life in fear? Not sure. Probably not.

OurMiracle1106 Wed 14-May-14 00:26:10

I would love to keep it. Though if I knew I could make a large sum of Money off it I would be tempted to "borrow" it to do so and then return it once I had made sufficient. (with a little on top too)

montysma1 Wed 14-May-14 00:26:30

I am not totally broke, but not well off either. I woud keep it.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Wed 14-May-14 00:26:37

Hand it in. The guilt would haunt me forever if i didnt. I would be constantly looking over my shoulder waiting to be caught, imagining some sort of drug dealing gang hunting me down and killing me in my sleep grin

YoureBeingASillyBilly Wed 14-May-14 00:27:24

Same as tequila grin

BillyBanter Wed 14-May-14 00:27:54

I'd take it to the police. If no one claims it I'd get it anyway. I get to be smugly moral and rich!

paperbaghag Wed 14-May-14 00:30:12

But would you take it to the police? The thugs that lost it might still come after you...

I think the absolute best thing would be to leave it where you found it!

Y'know I was actually thinking about this the other day.

I was walking to my mums because I couldn't afford the bus and was in a right grump wishing I could happen upon a stash of cash and have some money for the first time in a while. Then I got myself all worked up and started planning escape routes just in case I did and someone saw me. I was walking down the canal too grin I think I'm losing the plot.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Wed 14-May-14 00:33:23

grin tequila.

Yes i think i'd leave it where it was rather than give to the police. If only for the fact i dont trust the police and would imagine they'd divvy it up between themselves and tell me it had been claimed. <suspicious? Me?>

montysma1 Wed 14-May-14 00:35:53

I asked dh this during the program and he said yes without drawing breath.
At least I pondered (mainly about removing it from the case in case there was a tracking device).
Family of crooks obviously.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Wed 14-May-14 00:38:29

grin

Oh Christ I've got a uv light too I could check if they were legit for us!

BackforGood Wed 14-May-14 00:40:32

Like Billy - take it to the police, and then you get it back if no-one claims it, but you then get to keep it without the guilt and worry of someone finding out.

I have no doubts it would mysteriously disappear if left in my local Bobbie station

ShadowsCollideCantLogInToMN Wed 14-May-14 00:43:27

I'd hand it in. I found a €5 note on the floor of our local shopping centre, and handed it in at the customer service desk. Yes, there is a good chance that the person at the desk kept it. I'd prefer to hand it in than keep it though.

My Granda saved up €1000 to give to my sister for her wedding. He lost it out of his pocket on the 1 minute walk between my Mum's house and his. He asked in every local shop if some cash had been handed in (to no avail, of course). So if I came across a wad of cash, I'd worry that someone like my Granda had lost it sad

If it was a wallet with cash in id hand it in straight away or even better try to track the person down myself.

yellowrose2728 Wed 14-May-14 00:45:41

Many years ago I was on a yts scheme and earned £45 a week. I finished work on the Saturday and as I was walking to the bus stop, found a money bag with £45 in. I was so convinced someone had lost their wages I handed it in to my local police station...

Lo and behold no one claimed it and they actually contacted me and it was all mine!! grin grin grin felt like I won the lottery at 16!

BillyBanter Wed 14-May-14 00:49:50

In Scotland if someone hands in your lost wallet when you go to collect it you have to give a 10% reward for the person who handed it in. I had to do this and was very glad to. It was only about £70 but I was only 14 and I'd worked really hard to earn it. Well worth the £7.

ToffeeMoon Wed 14-May-14 00:50:11

I wouldn't hand it in. I would keep walking, then ring the police and alert them to it, once I was safely home.

Imagine if it was drugs money and there was someone watching you...scary.

If you hear about a mumsnetter caught in a drug gang shoot off it's probably me because I've tried to toddle off all innocent with their suitcase.

montysma1 Wed 14-May-14 01:01:18

Since me and tequila seem to be the only tea leafs on this thread.........50:50 ok with you?

Aye I'll agree to that muahah wink

<gets out UV light, looks up cash counters on eBay>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now