To have told ds that babies come from a vagina.

(58 Posts)
ICanSeeTheSun Tue 13-May-14 21:50:26

It looks like the wacky stories about babies have hit the playground.

Ds asked me how do babies come out of the mummy's tummy.

I didn't want to lie to him, so I told him.

I am now worried that he will tell his classmates and his teacher will pull me aside.

The stories he was told was quite funny, that babies come out of the belly button and they come up like vomit. Most sensible one which I explained was also correct was they cut open the belly.

StickEm Tue 13-May-14 22:29:33

Now up to 1.14. I couldnt watch anymore!

Awwwwww

WorraLiberty Tue 13-May-14 22:41:09

When did we get a bike shock ???

And more to the point, why?

ICanSeeTheSun Tue 13-May-14 22:43:05

Good point worra, haven't notice that before.

phantomnamechanger Tue 13-May-14 22:44:18

Must be in honour of your comment below worra, its the new code for midwife wink

ICanSeeTheSun Tue 13-May-14 22:46:26

Call the bike

WorraLiberty Tue 13-May-14 22:48:13

It freaked me out phantom, you know like when you mention something and an advert for it appears in your side bar? grin

Wait a minute...

Cock, cock, cock

<< Watches emoticon list with interest >>

AllDirections Tue 13-May-14 22:49:58

DD1 used to give birth to her dolls by pulling them out from under her top. Then she was present at DD2's birth when she was 3. A few weeks later I walked in to the living room and DD1 was laying on one sofa and my nephew (also age 3) on the other sofa both giving birth to their dolls vaginally grin

HavannaSlife Tue 13-May-14 22:51:25

Out the vagina? Get on your bike grin

Thenapoleonofcrime Tue 13-May-14 22:51:57

If he's 7 or above, he may well have been taught the 'right' words at school, mine had a letter stating they would be taught them and my dd2 came home and proudly shared her new knowledge. No reason not to be honest.

NinjaLeprechaun Tue 13-May-14 23:02:24

I don't know how you all do it
By the time you get to that point, you really have very little choice. grin

selsigfach Tue 13-May-14 23:02:25

How annoying is the "oh my god" woman in video #2? I'd have had to had to punch her or at least yelled "shut the fuck up" if she were my birth partner!

slithytove Wed 14-May-14 00:37:27

Those water birth videos are amazing

<must have dust in my eye>

emms1981 Wed 14-May-14 13:03:54

Mine are 5 and 7 and I've told them, I said its like doing a big poo just from a different place, I will save telling them how they get there for another time. I think its much better than them thinking up all kind of strange things, one of my sons friends said the other day about cows peeing out milk hmmm

Whyamihere Wed 14-May-14 13:37:09

I had a discussion with dd the other day (she's 9), she's known where babies come from for a while and knows all about puberty in both boys and girls but didn't know the details of sex - it's never come up in discussion, but she asked me the other day how babies get in a mummy's tummy and she wanted the proper version so we discussed it with proper names - all about where the penis goes etc, at the end the conversation went -

dd - soooooo, does that mean you and daddy did that?
me - yes
dd - ehhhhh, that's disgusting.

It was a classic moment of disgust that I'm sure every child has when they realise their parents have had to have had sex for them to be there.

I did tell her that what we'd discussed was not for giggling about in the playground as other parents might not have told their children.

RedHatNoDrawers Wed 14-May-14 13:45:01

DS1 is 3 and he asked me the other day how babies come out, so I told him, I think it's important to tell them the (age appropriate) truth when they ask questions.

SuperSophie Wed 14-May-14 16:12:48

Baby hole? Is that really a sensible name for the vagina? The average woman during her lifetime uses her vagina about TWICE to deliver a baby and many never use it all for that purpose.

Wouldn't 'rabbit hole' make more sense?

selsigfach Wed 14-May-14 16:28:16

Ha, rabbit hole! Love it.

x2boys Wed 14-May-14 16:28:59

My seven year old knows its like having a big poo but he has never asked specific questions yet !

Morgause Wed 14-May-14 16:32:00

Both DSs knew by around the age of 6. I answered every question as it was asked, rather than sat them down.

silveroldie2 Wed 14-May-14 16:33:38

WorraLiberty
"I can imagine the kids nodding along when the other kids tell them that babies are sicked up, or come out of the belly button"

Don't mock the afflicted. I fervently believed as a child that babies were born via the belly button which somehow magically opened up at the right time to enable the baby to be removed and then magically closed again. My parents were far too embarrassed to give me any sex info and in the olden days at school we taken to a nissen hut and shown an old black and white film so grainy you could barely see anything. I laughed heartily at school friends who told me babies came through the vagina - what a ludicrous idea grin.

Celestria Wed 14-May-14 16:42:07

I tell my kids they came out where I wee and laugh hysterically at their disgusted faces, always cheers me up! grin

Catflap1 Wed 14-May-14 16:48:51

My kids have always known, when I was pregnant with my 3rd they were 3 and 2 and had lots of intrest they loved watching the baby stories and delivery programe on home and health channel with me!

They have always loved hospital programs and still do now aged 7,9,11.

Now I'm pregnant with my 4th they show lots of intrest and ask lots of questions about labour etc

PrincessBabyCat Wed 14-May-14 16:49:15

I still laugh at my friend's dad for how he told her. It went something like this.

"Where do babies come from?"
"Vaginas"

End conversation.

BloominNora Wed 14-May-14 16:52:43

I made the mistake of letting DD1 watch a birth on OBEM when she was 5 - she very quickly declared (and has stuck to it ever since - about 18 months) that she will not have children because it hurts.

She is very stubborn (this is the child that spent seven hours in bed with no toys or other forms of entertainment rather than take medicine) and can quite easily imagine her sticking with it the rest of her life now that she has made her mind up.

KittyandTeal Wed 14-May-14 16:54:36

In a teacher and I would never 'have a word' about you telling yourDS the real way babies come into the world!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now