to hope that I'm not the only petty person on this forum? Tell me your guilty petty secrets!

(7 Posts)
HomeIsWhereTheGinIs Tue 13-May-14 11:53:11

So I'm currently feeling a petty sense of triumph. I know this makes me a bad person, more so because it makes me smug.

I've been struggling with house renovations and one of the companies I instructed to rebuild part of the roof has made an awful mess of things - leaving a hole unfixed, breaking furniture and denting walls with scaffolding, cracking a manhole cover in the garden etc. At the same time, a plumber from the same company has had to be back three times to fix a leak in a loo pipe and it's still leaking! I asked them to come over and repair the damage last week, stayed in and not only did the guy not show up, he didn't call to tell me he wasn't coming (wasted day for me). He came by today to do some of the repairs and I was so livid by that point, that when he asked to use the loo, I told him no because their incompetence meant it was still leaking when flushed and the room below had water damage to the ceiling. The plumber came back round whilst the first guy was here and promised to get the damage fixed. The second chap then asked, as he was leaving, if he could now use the loo as we'd established that the company was willing to fix it. In a pique of irritation with him, I said no again and sent him on his way.

Petty? Yes. Unreasonable? Yes. But it felt so good to get my own back, in however pathetic and small-minded a way, on this man who has wasted my time and damaged my home.

Please, please, make me feel better about how pathetic I am - tell me, have you ever done something you knew to be really petty?

FeelingLostJess Tue 13-May-14 12:05:51

I can't think of anything right now but I can definitely be petty!

And given the stress you come under with jobs in the house, I don't think what you did was petty!

DizzyKipper Tue 13-May-14 12:11:56

If using the loo means there's damage caused to your ceiling then I in no way think that you're petty for not allowing people to use it, particularly any person responsible for that damage! The guy was quite cheeky to ask again really - so what if they're going to get the damage fixed? Does that make it ok to cause even more damage? Pfft.

deakymom Tue 13-May-14 12:38:12

i got called petty when my husbands ex finally was forced to pay her own bill basically three and a half years after they split she got a phone (in her name at her property) then she didn't pay they came after us i had to prove he didn't live there prove they were divorced prove they hated each other and they knew it was in her name not his! then they told him it was part of an old debt he began paying it then we found out it was hers and stopped we have spent time money and massive amounts of effort and they agreed they were in the wrong we dont have to pay yippiee! so now we try for a refund they suddenly dont speak english again hmm we have taken it to the ombudsman they agree with us grin now all they need to do is get our money back sad

i got called petty for smiling when i heard she got given her own bill back apparently i should feel sorry for her personally i've had to find money to pay bills she has run up before so i have no sympathy for her at all she spent the money she can pay the money back

Writerwannabe83 Tue 13-May-14 12:40:53

I thought your title read: Please tell me I'm not the only pretty person on this forum grin I couldn't understand why you started talking about house renovations?! smile

I came on to tell you not to worry, I'm gorgeous too!! grin grin

HomeIsWhereTheGinIs Tue 13-May-14 14:31:38

Ah haha Ha! writer that would be funny. No, I'm certainly petty rather than pretty!

redexpat Tue 13-May-14 15:36:17

Home and deaky neither of you sound petty! You just don't take any crap and you hsouldnt be expected to. Bravo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now