To BEG for your help with this

(82 Posts)
monkeymamma Mon 12-May-14 22:43:55

Ds (2) will not under any circumstances take any medicines, including Calpol. He currently has a chest infection and is clearly suffering. The gp had prescribed an inhaler (fat chance) and 6 days of antibiotics.
Surprise does not work as he is constantly on the watch for attempts to get it down him. Reason does not work, nor does reminding him that the doctor told him he must take it. Chocolate/bribery doesn't work - he either has no appetite anyway, or just wants the chocolate but no medicine and has a massive screaming hysterical fit if we won't give it to him. Until now we have got by by mixing it in with his favourite drinks but that doesn't work now, he's wised up to it and all it does is make him suspicious of all drinks (therefore risking dehydration). He won't hold the syringe or spoon. If he gets a whiff of me mixing it in with anything he just refuses all food.
We are in despair. Please tell me you have a magic trick that will work...

MrsDiesel Tue 13-May-14 22:24:29

Glad you've had some success. We use the pin and squirt method too. I usually sit ds on my lap with one arm around me and hold the other arm with one hanx. Use the other hand to squirt the pre loaded syringe in.

I have always tipped them back a bit then to make them swallow but reading this thread seems that is a choke hazard?! I won't do it that way again!

Hedgehog80 Tue 13-May-14 22:10:03

If he needs medicine you will have to get it into him. Even if it means wrapping in a towel to keep him still whilst somebody else prises his mouth open and syringes it in. We had to do this when ds1 was little being careful he didn't choke ( he did a little the first couple of times). Its not nice but its just for a few days.

Cyclebump Tue 13-May-14 22:02:59

DS had croup at 2, we pinned him down to use the inhaler. It was the only way. Waited for the end of the scream and used the pump as he gasped.

I felt like a horrible mother and there were cuddles and tears on both sides but the alternative was him going to hospital if it had it worse.

BelleOfTheBoys Tue 13-May-14 22:00:46

Also: a friend who uses inhalers daily said she puts the spacer mask over their faces while they are sucking on a dummy? They are much calmer and they tend to be taking longer breaths in? If you use them, could this help - I think I've seen medicine dummies too?

BelleOfTheBoys Tue 13-May-14 21:58:42

Ds1 was a meds refuser. I had to get very creative.

Antibiotics were magic glow in the dark medicine, full of magic lights. The inhaler was filled up with teeny tiny soldiers with swords to fight away the germs in his chest. Obvs, they needed the glow in the dark medicine to light the way. He had to swallow the medicine first so it wasn't dark, then the soldiers could fly in and fight the germs away.

Ds1 is OBSESSED with swords and this worked a treat. I had to do lots of drawing on the chalkboard of his chest, and the scary-looking germs. Then we squirted the inhaler at them shouting 'kapow' etc., then DS1 rubbed them out with a chalk sword. When he takes the medicine now we all yell 'kapow' and pretend to have swords.

He is now so happy to take medicine, vitamins etc that I have to hide them all very very carefully and he will occasionally claim to be poorly, and when refused medicine can be heard muttering 'kapow' to himself ever so slightly sadly.

I've created a monster.

Key to all of this was I didn't tell him directly about any of the germs or soldiers. I just made sure to explain it all very carefully to Daddy when DS was in earshot

Hopefully I haven't scarred him for life. We did a similar thing to get him to clean his teeth - the toothbrush is the Sword of Spikes and we Go Hunting For Teefy Monsters twice a day. grin

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Tue 13-May-14 21:54:50

Poor lad! What child (or adult?) doesn't like calpol!!!!shock

listsandbudgets Tue 13-May-14 21:47:21

Oh sorry just seen your last post. Glad you got them into him.

My ds is very strong too. I really worry about hurting him sometimes as he struggles so strongly to stop me doing things that he does not want but need doing - eg changing his nappy, fastening safety straps on pram and car seat. You have my sympathy

listsandbudgets Tue 13-May-14 21:43:31

My friend's dd was like this. She used to get round it by mixing the calpol with a fruit yogurt. Not sure if that helps you but maybe worth a try?

Glad to hear he's getting better and you've found a way to get his medicine in to him.

Just for the record, no antibiotic is antiviral. Azithromycin, like Erythromycin and Clarithromycin, works for most bog-standard bacteria and some atypical ones which can cause nasty pneumonias etc. Much as the twice daily dosing and short 3 days course are very convenient, it should really be reserved for serious/life-threatening infections.

monkeymamma Tue 13-May-14 19:47:31

Thanks again for all the suggestions and support! Ds is so much better today (the antibiotics work so amazingly fast!) and we've got almost all of today's doses down him. I figure when it's a liquid suspension there must be some leeway in dosage/allowance for spilling etc. I managed to surprise him this morning while he was watching peppa pig. Dh managed miraculously to smuggle his 2nd dose in via undiluted apple juice at lunchtime. We've just tried the same technique with his 3rd dose for today and only managed half :-( hopefully we can get all 3 doses down him tomorrow. I'll be on my own tomorrow so pinning him down won't be an option. He's very big (99th c at birth) and although I am heavier than him I don't think I'm stronger! And he's really really fast and slippery (think bathing a cat), I've tried to imagine some of the pinning down techniques here but just don't think it would work. My legs wouldn't be strong enough to hold him down!

horten last time he was sick we were prescribed azithrymicin and it was AMaZING (ds and I are both penicillin allergic and react to erithymicyin so gp has to find alternatives). However gp (different one) last night wouldn't prescribe it in spite of me begging her. She said not suitable as it's antiviral but I bet is cos it's expensive and our antibiotic allergies are a pita.

dojo and IAm I'm practicing my blank face for tomorrow :-)

Thanks again so much for the help and fingers crossed we get through the next fourteen doses...

Damnautocorrect Tue 13-May-14 09:48:01

Mine was the same, I tried pin and squirt he'd throw it up. Honestly there was no way at all, gp said force him which then led to him throwing it up and refusal of even calpol. I hid it in strong drinks (not ideal with anti b's I know). But I figured something was better than nothing. I did have to get the orange one (penicillin??) swapped for amoxicillin though after much huffing from the gp about forcing him.
But thankfully it passed at 4!

Bardette Tue 13-May-14 09:45:28

Just a quick point on the pin and squirt method, make sure his head is tipped forward, chin on chest, not tilted back, to reduce chance of choking.

MrsWedgeAntilles Tue 13-May-14 09:35:48

We've been here. Its horrible but you just have to make him. DS has been using nebs and inhalers on and off since he was 18 months old and we've had one situation where it was life and death that he took the neb.
I hated forcing him to take them but it helped that I knew first hand what could happen if he didn't. Swaddling him in a big bath towel and holding him like a rugby ball really helped as well.

I second letting him play with the spacer and the syringe - we went through a phase where the spacer was a light saber and my little padawan would only take liquid via the oral syringe smile

Good luck, this too shall pass.

BitOutOfPractice Tue 13-May-14 09:27:42

Hello op. No more advice to give but just wanted to say I hope your ds is better soon

PinkSquash Tue 13-May-14 09:27:00

We had to pin and squirt antibiotics for DS2 when ge was a baby, horrible but necessary. DH hated doing it but I was the evil practical one and u had to get on with it. He refused all medicine until recently at almost 2.5yrs and he takes it well.

Antibiotics are vile and I had it made worse as he had penicillin that I'm allergic to. Made it fun when he spat it out.

SleepRefugee Tue 13-May-14 09:20:38

My DD was dreadful in this regard until she was about 2 1/2. No amount of bribery worked, she disliked yogurt, custard and chocolate (yes, really), and would rarely finish a drink given to her, so "hiding" liquid medicine was not an option.

We resorted to paracetamol suppositories when she was very little (had to purchase - expensive! - as GP wouldn't prescribe).

She had terrible teething trouble, so it was a bit of a nightmare!

What worked for her other than suppositories was orange-flavoured Ibuprofen mixed with a little bit of mango smoothie or similar and given to her as a "special treat" on a spoon, as it didn't alter the taste so much.

On a few occasions, we had to just pin her down and squirt meds into her cheeks, followed by lots of cuddles.

She takes meds without a fightnow at 3 1/2!

Pin and squirt worked a bit wth ds1 although he was very good at not swallowing, never with ds3, as soon as it hit his stomach - hello dinner on my lap....

People saying 'does he always get his own way' obviously have no idea what it is like to have a child refuse medicine.

DS1 would never take medicine as he's severely autistic. Unless it was pink. He also wouldn't eat very much. Nor would he have x rays - as for pin him down and do it - the hospital tried that with x-rays and medicine and gave up.

DS3 is NT but has a phobia I guess about medicines. He will take tablets now he is older but will not take liquid medicines & never would. I have forced it down him only for it to come up with the rest of his stomach contents all over me 2 seconds later.

Sympathies OP. Both ds1 and ds3 are much better now they're older, although ds1 cannot swallow tablets (and can't be taught to) so we get everything in liquid form for him (or capsules which we mix in juice).

I just tended not to give them anything. Most medicines for minor illnesses aren't absolutely necessary. If a medicine was absolutely essential then I would talk to the doctor about the different forms it was available in and try the one I thought we had some chance with. Sometimes GP's are reluctant to prescribe a different form than usual because they're more expensive.

DragonMamma Tue 13-May-14 09:15:52

We are another pin down and squirt, if all else fails. I do what PP said and hold their head between my knees and use one free arm to stop them wriggling. Then lots of praise and a couple of sweets afterwards.

They are now 6 and 3 and take meds no problem, as long as they get a sweet afterwards to get rid of the taste

Gremlingirl Tue 13-May-14 09:08:41

The pinning down is easier if you lay them down on their back with their head in your lap, between your legs and use one of your legs to hold their arms and upper body down, meaning you have full use of both your arms for the squirting. Mine are often so amused by the upside down ness of your face, especially if you pull funny faces at them, that they laugh and I can squirt the meds in then.

ImNotAFlower Tue 13-May-14 08:55:41

I have been known to put medicine on ice cream as a "sauce"- you may need a big tub for six days worth though wink. Hope he is feeling better soon.

DoJo Tue 13-May-14 08:43:52

It's really difficult but, in our case, they grew out of it aged around five and will now take meds. Ignore anyone who make comments about how you just have to "make them take it" - they have no idea!!!

But sometimes you do just have to make them, unless you are prepared to risk them being ill for longer, getting worse or needing further treatment. IMO it is easier to instil the idea of medicine being non-negotiable when you are still easily able to overpower them, so toddler age is ideal. Once they realise that it is happening whether they co-operate or not, it should be easier, but you can't not give prescribed meds because a 2 year old might be unhappy about it.

lougle Tue 13-May-14 08:43:50

Antibiotic liquids are vile! It really is as simple as pin and squirt.

MistyMeena Tue 13-May-14 08:38:50

Pin down and syringe in cheek, job done. I regularly did this with my son when on antibiotics.

Fairenuff Tue 13-May-14 08:13:26

fair i think associating his bed with punishment and nasty medecine at this age would be counterproductive

I agree. That's why I asked OP what was her usual sanction (or response if some posters prefer that word) to her ds not doing as he was told. OP said she put him in his cot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now