To think that if your feet are small enough to wear these shoes you are too young for high heels?

(339 Posts)
unrulysun Mon 12-May-14 21:10:33

I saw these shoes in a branch of Monsoon today. I see plenty of things for little girls which make me roll my eyes but these actually made me stop and stare and then a few minutes later go back into the shop to talk to someone.

The heel on these is a good inch high. My DD is 3 and her feet are size 9. The ones I saw were in a size 7 which I think DD last had when she was 2. She’s not particularly enormous for her age so I think these shoes are definitely for 2 – 3 year olds. I don’t know what size they go down to. AIBU to think that a 2 or 3 year old shouldn’t be walking around in high heels? This isn’t wearing your mum’s high heels this is ‘these are your new shoes’. sad

And yy I know ‘you don’t need to buy them if you don’t want to’ and I won’t buy them. But I care about the little girls who they are bought for. I don’t think any little girl should be put into shoes like this. Frankly I’d be worried DD would twist an ankle in heels this high. She certainly wouldn’t be able to run or play. And I’m sad that these are on sale for little girls. Not in some weird online place but in a high street shop.

I’m going to complain to Monsoon. I would have liked to have given them the feedback instore today but the sales assistant shrugged and said ‘I’m just a sales assistant’ and the manager was ‘too busy’ to talk to –annoying people who think girls should be allowed to be children-- me.

Jojay Mon 12-May-14 21:23:18

As a rule I can't stand high heels on little girls but these really aren't very high.

They're aimed at older children than toddlers I think. All my children had much smaller feet than your dd at the same age. Ds2 is 5 1/2 and is a size 9.

unrulysun Mon 12-May-14 21:23:50

Why does a 3 yo need a high heel to create happy memories?

i mean really. Why?

kali110 Mon 12-May-14 21:23:52

They're clearly marked as special occassion, not for every day. For a special day like a wedding i wouldnt have a problem.

EatShitDerek Mon 12-May-14 21:24:12

My sister walks in her pretend heels fine. She can also jump of furniture and kick footballs with them

unrulysun Mon 12-May-14 21:24:56

They were at least an inch high if not more. The photo isn't really doing the full hideusness of them justice tbh...

Why would a child need a high heel. A 3 yo?

WooWooOwl Mon 12-May-14 21:25:53

Children don't need to run and play every waking minute of the day. Especially during wedding ceremonies.

They don't need the heel, but they don't need pretty dresses either.

softlysoftly Mon 12-May-14 21:26:22

DD1 has a pair from monsoon like these in purple. She uses them for dressing up and the odd birthday party.

kali110 Mon 12-May-14 21:26:23

And me eat, sure i was just preparing myself for adulthood!

meditrina Mon 12-May-14 21:26:59

They're bridesmaid shoes, not day to day ones.

DD had a very similar pair when she was 8 (same basic shoe; they've been making them continuously for years but update embellishments).

I'd be very surprised if these were bought for toddlers. There are plenty of petite primary age children.

BurdenedWithGloriousPurpose Mon 12-May-14 21:27:32

But the title of this thread doesn't make sense. They go up to a size 4, so my feet are small enough for them. I'm 33 so not too young for heels. grin

<misses point if thread>

<admires dainty size 3 feet>

WorraLiberty Mon 12-May-14 21:27:46

Why are you assuming a 3yr old couldn't walk in heels as square and wide as that?

If they were stilettos, you would have a point.

These are just run of the mill bridesmaid shoes

I have no girl DC but they look like really nice shoes for a little girl at a wedding or as a bridesmaid. I am not getting the angst. Sorry.

MollyHooper Mon 12-May-14 21:28:40

They are hardly high heels.

You are overreacting.

TheRightToShoes Mon 12-May-14 21:29:03

If I were the manager I would have been "busy" too, What were you hoping she would do? She/he will have no choice at all in what stock they sell.

FloozeyLoozey Mon 12-May-14 21:29:14

You sound a bit hysterical op. They aren't every day shoes for running and playing in the park. They are one off bridesmaids shoes and look very standard to me.

Well, they go well the generally totally impractical bridesmaid's dress that the little girl would no doubt be wearing them with; you know, the too long, lacy, inappropriately light-coloured and no doubt too expensive dress grin

I think the disclaimer about not suitable for under 36 months is a bit of a red herring - isn't there something about the legality of selling stuff which IS deemed suitable for under 3s? So they are probably just avoiding that. I don't think they are actually suggesting this is specifically for 3 year olds

NearTheWindymill Mon 12-May-14 21:30:20

They are party shoes. If a little girl of three or four wore them to a wedding they would be off by the reception I imagine and in the dressing up box afterwards. I have no recollection of my dd's shoe size when she was 3. It was simply similar to a small brick - still is grin

EatShitDerek Mon 12-May-14 21:30:23

And I am 23 with size 2 feet. I could wear them so does that mean I shouldn't?

Lulu1083 Mon 12-May-14 21:30:30

Unrulysun they're not high heels though. It's an inch. 2.5cm. For one day with a floaty party dress, that is a lovely memory I have from my childhood.

Going by the posts after mine your daughters' feet are above average grin

WillowB Mon 12-May-14 21:31:00

I clicked on that link expecting a 3 inch stiletto!
Clearly YABU as everyone is telling you. Now get down if your high horse. There are better things to get your knickers in a twist about really.

TyrannosaurusBex Mon 12-May-14 21:31:35

My DD3 was given a pair of size 7 gold Monsoon heels by a family member when she was 3 and they were too small for her (she's quite little). And I wouldn't have let her wear them anyway, although if they'd fitted she would probably have wanted them for dressing up games. I really don't see why 'special occasion' shoes for small children need to have heels.

FreudiansSlipper Mon 12-May-14 21:31:48

Do not buy them

Problem solved

milkysmum Mon 12-May-14 21:32:25

I agree kids dont need heels. Would I put my 5 year old dd in heels- unlikley. Would I get myself as worked up as you seem to be because I saw some kids shoes with heels (that dont look very high at all, I was expecting stiletto's!)- definitely no! YABU

DD had a pair of very similar ones from Monsoon last year to be a bridesmaid at the age of 7. She was one of several child bridesmaids, who all had similar shoes. The reception was outdoors in a garden with a play area, they ran around, used the climbing frame etc quite happily in their low heels and calf length big dresses with underskirts. None of them were as young as 3, but as special occasion shoes they were fine. They were also the only ones I could find that fitted properly.

BurdenedWithGloriousPurpose Mon 12-May-14 21:33:11

Fuck off Derek, with your daintier feet. You tiny bastard. I'm sure you're half an inch taller than me too. I'm not having it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now