To think that if your feet are small enough to wear these shoes you are too young for high heels?

(339 Posts)
unrulysun Mon 12-May-14 21:10:33

I saw these shoes in a branch of Monsoon today. I see plenty of things for little girls which make me roll my eyes but these actually made me stop and stare and then a few minutes later go back into the shop to talk to someone.

The heel on these is a good inch high. My DD is 3 and her feet are size 9. The ones I saw were in a size 7 which I think DD last had when she was 2. She’s not particularly enormous for her age so I think these shoes are definitely for 2 – 3 year olds. I don’t know what size they go down to. AIBU to think that a 2 or 3 year old shouldn’t be walking around in high heels? This isn’t wearing your mum’s high heels this is ‘these are your new shoes’. sad

And yy I know ‘you don’t need to buy them if you don’t want to’ and I won’t buy them. But I care about the little girls who they are bought for. I don’t think any little girl should be put into shoes like this. Frankly I’d be worried DD would twist an ankle in heels this high. She certainly wouldn’t be able to run or play. And I’m sad that these are on sale for little girls. Not in some weird online place but in a high street shop.

I’m going to complain to Monsoon. I would have liked to have given them the feedback instore today but the sales assistant shrugged and said ‘I’m just a sales assistant’ and the manager was ‘too busy’ to talk to –annoying people who think girls should be allowed to be children-- me.

LittleBearPad Wed 14-May-14 21:30:18

And yet you said

"Sorry I used big words. Back to your pretty shoes."

MyFeetAreCold Wed 14-May-14 21:31:54

Yes, she had an issue with my words.

cardibach Wed 14-May-14 21:34:24

Having an issue with your words does not mean she is stupid confused
Not following your argument, sorry.

MyFeetAreCold Wed 14-May-14 21:40:22

<Repeats>I didn't call her stupid.

I mentioned the language I used, because she mentioned the language I used. But do you know what? I really cba. I'm going to get on with life now. And leave you all to the footwear of your choosing.

cardibach Wed 14-May-14 21:46:44

"Sorry I used bug words" doesn't imply she is stupid? Nope, sorry, don't believe you. What comment did she make about your language use? I forget and I can't go back and check. Can't have been as offensive as yours.

Catmint Wed 14-May-14 21:55:21

They look very, "sit still and be on your best behaviour" shoes to me & that makes me feel a bit uneasy.

I can't walk in heels so my experience is that I feel hobbled and vulnerable in them. So I'd stay away from buying DD the shoes on the OP because they look like they aspire to be a type of shoe that I experience as limiting and I don't want that for my daughter.

We are going to a wedding soon, she'll be wearing a floaty dress and tie dye purple & orange hi top converse. I'll be in fitflop kys.

I don't think I wear ugly shoes btw, that is very subjective.

MyFeetAreCold Wed 14-May-14 21:56:13

Well, in the post where she called me sanctimonious (sorry, said I sounded sanctimonious - right side of talk guidelines etc...), she then said (quoting me at the start) ' "form over function continuum" and here was me thinking I just don't like ugly clothes. '

So it all depends on what you take offence at really. 'Sanctimonious' was probably where I decided to be offended. YMMV.

grocklebox Wed 14-May-14 22:55:08

ok, so you dont want them for your kid, so you dont want them to exist for anyone to able to choose.
A bit facist extreme, don't you think?I'll say it again, IF this was about high heels for little girls, youd have a very valid point. But these arenot they.
Good argument, very bad footing, as it were. Fail, Im afraid.

PurplyBlue Wed 14-May-14 22:56:03

The assumption that not thinking that heels are right for small children = not liking pretty clothes is a bit of a leap, surely?

FWIW I'm sitting here wearing a pink flowery dress and pink flip flops.

PurplyBlue Wed 14-May-14 22:59:41

Saying WTF and expressing an opinion about, er, things that you have an opinion about is what you do in a democracy, surely?

No one is going around ripping them off small children's feet and jailing their parents.

MyFeetAreCold Wed 14-May-14 23:02:36

Yes, I don't want them to exist. Their very existence makes it harder for me to not let DD wear them. I never said I was being reasonable. grin

I'm wearing just some sacking.

PerpendicularVincenzo Thu 15-May-14 07:54:51

I don’t think it's sanctimonious to have a different opinion and not like the shoes.

I personally hate heels because they hurt my feet - even on my wedding day I changed into converse after the ceremony. At a wedding or other formal function, I would want my child to be smart but comfortable, so the shoes aren't for me. I appreciate that people's idea of 'comfortable' differs and everyone has their own preferences, but I'm with Feet on this.

Catmint Thu 15-May-14 08:08:17

I can remember shouting " high heels are a firm of social control! " at a boyf who wanted me to wear them. I still think this. I think you can have lovely shoes that still enable you to stay balanced and able and not fuck up your feet for an ideal of beauty that I utterly reject.

And on the subject of Feet, isn't she saying that it is what the shoes represent that she doesn't want to exist ( see above).

I think it is unacceptable to say that Feet is fascist, grocklebox, even if you have crossed it out you have put it there for everyone to see. Dreadful.

Catmint Thu 15-May-14 08:10:24

Ps I think they are a model of high heels, actually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now