To argue the toss with DH over him using Capitals and full stops in his job app emails?

(31 Posts)
CrystalSkulls Mon 12-May-14 12:30:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

You're not nitpicking. Apart from anything else it can be hard to read something badly punctuated.

TBH I'd be saying to him that if it doesn't matter, how come he's not got a job. It's not on for him to ask you to proofread then belittle you for what you're doing.

(Though I do hope you don't use Capitals as in the title!)

WilsonFrickett Mon 12-May-14 12:34:36

I can quite understand that the people who employ candidates for manual work might only care about the candidate's skills. But if you are applying through agencies they will judge you - even subconsciously. So why take the risk? YANBU

CrystalSkulls Mon 12-May-14 12:35:15

HecatePropylaea Mon 12-May-14 12:36:12

It matters.

Prospective employers get countless CVs and applications.

When it comes to choosing between people who are about the same in terms of experience and relevant qualifications - how does he think they will do that?

They will look at things like spelling, grammar, a professional look.

If he was the only person going for a job then maybe it wouldn't matter. But when he is trying to show that he is the best candidate? Well, he won't do that with a sloppy CV or covering letter.

Why wouldn't he want to do everything to give himself the best chance of being one to be shortlisted?

grin

I figured it was either that or your irritation was playing a role there!

It must be frustrating for him, but he's being daft - what does he think he's going to gain by arguing the toss with you?

sleepyhead Mon 12-May-14 12:36:35

It's not nitpicking, it's doing the job properly.

If he's happy to do a half-arsed job with a covering email then where else is he doing a half-arsed job? (they will think, rightly or wrongly).

Icimoi Mon 12-May-14 12:40:16

Yes, it is. His messages will look very unprofessional if they are ungrammatical, and if there's a choice between him and someone who has made the effort, that other person will get the job.

CrystalSkulls Mon 12-May-14 12:40:53

Anyone reading his email will notice, straight away, that he hasn't made the effort to do things correctly. That gives a bad impression - does he want to look like the kind of person who makes only a skimpy effort at doing things because he doesn't care? Or does he want to look like someone who makes an effort to do things right?

If I was working for an agency, even if it was for manual work, I'd be more likely to employ/recommend the person who put that bit of effort in, not the one who doesn't bother.

BitterAndOnlySlightlyTwisted Mon 12-May-14 12:46:36

Why is he asking you to proof-read his emails if he doesn't want you to actually do it? Asking you in the first place demonstrates his lack of confidence in his abilities in this regard, so he should show you some respect by letting you get on with it. Or he accepts that his email and CV will get deleted before they've not even finished the first sentence.

Dog. Bark yourself. Etcetera.

HecatePropylaea Mon 12-May-14 12:46:45

That's right. If you can't be bothered to make a good job of your application, what else won't you be bothered about making a good job of?

He is shooting himself in the foot.

I used to employ people and I promise him that it matters. No matter what the job.

HauntedNoddyCar Mon 12-May-14 12:49:47

Manual jobs often require attention to detail.
This is a detail he should be paying attention to.

LayMeDown Mon 12-May-14 12:52:47

If I received an e mail with a CV attached, written as you describe I wouldn't even open the CV. I would be prepared to overlook genuine typos but a mail written with so little care tells me that the sender doesn't give a monkeys about even doing the basics of creating a good first imprssion. I would press delete.

MarathonFan Mon 12-May-14 12:58:02

We get 100s of applications for every post. The first thing we do is discard any that have any hint that the candidate is not very bright, not very serious about the job or lacks general care and attention to detail and that means poor spelling, punctuation or grammar.

Ok, so a welder might not need to write much in their day to day work but they need to care enough about getting the job that they have checked their application properly, or if they know they don't have the skills to do that, to have asked someone else to do it for them.

Doesn't matter if their experience and qualifications are amazing, they won't even get looked at.

I echo the other posters. That first impression counts pretty much for everything, regardless of the type of job being applied for.

The email or covering letter needs to be clearly and properly written. It's the attention to detail, making it look like you've actually put some effort in. A sloppy letter or email just gives the impression you don't care, and will just get binned.

BreconBeBuggered Mon 12-May-14 13:19:09

Tell him to stop being a twat. I have always checked DH's job applications, and have free rein to change any awkward phrasing. In spite of the fact that he has two higher degrees and does a demanding professional job, he knows that I am the one nitpicky enough to pick out any careless errors that might put off the person initially sifting through CVs. It's not a reflection on our relative abilities at all; we both know I couldn't do his job, but as far as CVs go, my word is law.

Oh, and he always gets an interview.

matildasquared Mon 12-May-14 14:39:27

Honestly, when people make such basic errors I don't continue proofreading. I hand it back to them saying, "You've missed a lot of full stops and you know that words at the beginning of sentences are capitalised. Have a look at get it back to me once you've fixed the basic stuff."

Proofreading is meant to catch out awkward phrasing, split infinitives, misplaced dependent clauses, the odd typo, that sort of thing. I'm not going to waste my time pointing to the first word of every sentence and saying, "Remember the capital letter!" He's taking the piss.

BackforGood Mon 12-May-14 14:43:12

I agree with everyone else - to me it's the same as putting a suit on and polishing your shoes for a job interview, even if that's not what you'd be wearing in the job. It shows you care enough about it to go the extra mile.
I too wouldn't even get as far as opening the CV if I received an e-mail with no punctuation.

PumpkinPie2013 Mon 12-May-14 14:49:11

YANBU it does matter!

People sending me sloppy emails really irritates me angry

Kewcumber Mon 12-May-14 14:55:12

He really doesn't see the point

Well (as an employer) the point is that there will be many applicant for each job and on the basis of very little information you have to whittle that list down to maybe 4 or 5. Once you've excluded all those who have no relevant experience (I once had a bar tender applying for an accountants job) then it comes down to a whole host of small things.

One of those small things will be who has made the most effort eg properly written email as if it was a letter with paragraphs, full stops, capitals etc.

If their email looks like they haven't made an effort then I assume they are either the kind of person who doesn't make an effort for anything or that they're not much interested in my job. Either way, you'd have to have the most amazing CV to persuade me to give you an interview in those circumstances.

Is his CV amazing enough to compete with anyone else who has made more effort?

matildasquared Mon 12-May-14 14:57:04

Typos and sloppy grammar make me think that a candidate didn't care enough to proofread. Skipped full stops and no capitalisation of names makes me think the writer was drunk or stoned. I'm serious.

CrystalSkulls Mon 12-May-14 14:58:58

CrystalSkulls Mon 12-May-14 15:00:48

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now