to wonder why you can't hear properly when having a big stretch?

(14 Posts)
Catsize Sun 11-May-14 23:04:49

Just that really. I know that the combined wisdom of the vipers shall provide the answer...

I know I am being unreasonable really in that I have better and more important things to be thinking about

WorraLiberty Sun 11-May-14 23:08:10

Because your arms are covering your ears?

Quangle Sun 11-May-14 23:08:36

and, why can't you hear for the first couple of seconds after you wake up? It's like your ears don't switch on immediately...

Catsize Sun 11-May-14 23:13:00

Ha! Indeed Worra! grin

Didn't know about the waking up thing! confused

Really? am very gullible

Quangle Sun 11-May-14 23:14:38

ok maybe it's just me...but definitely I wake up first, then hear things a few seconds later. I sleep with my radio on and I don't hear it when I wake - got to switch my ears on first.

QueenArseClangers Sun 11-May-14 23:18:54

Is it because you yawn at the same time thus have blood rushing to ears induced deafness?

WorraLiberty Sun 11-May-14 23:27:02

I can't be the only one who read the OP and did a massive stretch? blush

Catsize Sun 11-May-14 23:30:09

Nope, no yawning. Blood rushing was my theory too, but blood flow increases during exercise etc but hearing isn't affected.
It is a great mystery p'raps, like the homing pigeon. Kind of.

Catsize Sun 11-May-14 23:31:10

Or is it homeing pigeon? No. That looks wrong.

MaidOfStars Mon 12-May-14 09:22:57

You tense your neck when stretching, which traps air in your ears. Your eardrums can't vibrate properly, therefore sound is muffled. Just the same as when the air pressure in your ears changes during flight.

Catsize Mon 12-May-14 11:05:36

Wowsers! Thanks maid.
Gold star to you me thinks grin
unless you are just totally making this up but sounding impressive

5Foot5 Mon 12-May-14 13:18:55

When I do a big stretch I always make a loud "Aaaaagh" nois at the same time (not a yawn exactly) so that would probably prevent me from hearing anything else.

Don't know about not hearing when you first wake up. Never noticed this.

Iv also had to have a nice stretch after reading this, tis lovely smile

But....if I can't hear when I first wake up, how do I hear the alarm go off that wakes me up in the first place? hmm confused

Catsize Mon 12-May-14 14:13:32

Mine is more if a 'nnnnnnnn' sometimes 5foot5. Not when I am tryin' to do listenin' though. :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now