To Get a Bugaboo Donkey for my 13 mo DTs?

(21 Posts)
Twotofive Sun 11-May-14 21:33:03

I wish I'd bought one from the start really, but I didn't want to spend that much. But now I'm really regretting it as I think the DTs are missing out on on a bit of time with me. I have an older DD who goes to nursery, and on those days I often take the DTs out in their pushchair for a walk, trip to town etc. however as they are facing away from me I'm worried that they are missing out on the only time they get me to themselves.

So, I want to get a bugaboo donkey but as they are so expensive my DH thinks I'm being ridiculous. Am I?

Thanks

rootypig Sun 11-May-14 21:34:50

Are you sure they want to face you? I have 18 month old DD and she's been facing the world (Bugaboo Bee) for months - since about 7/8 months, I think - because she likes to look around and see where she's going.

Artandco Sun 11-May-14 21:38:37

I would if you like. We had the bugaboo Cameleon and never faced it away. It's nice talking to them

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sun 11-May-14 21:42:15

I've got a Bee and forward faced DS at just over a year as he was desperate to see the world.

Beanymonster Sun 11-May-14 21:50:32

Tbh, in the nicest way possible, I think the window of babies wanting to look at you instead of the world has passed for you sad
My dd went ff from about 1yo as she used to cry at my face as she wanted to see the world..

GreeboOgg Sun 11-May-14 21:54:13

Oh, I thought that this was about some kind of donkey rocking horse. A rocking donkey. I was going to yell at you "yes! If you can afford it, yes!"

Can you tell I always wanted a rocking horse as a child? grin

But as it is, I have no advice, sorry. (Other than get a rocking horse for your kids. Go on. Ah, go on, go on, go on, go on... )

Artandco Sun 11-May-14 21:54:37

Surely they see just as much Parent facing? Just in a different direction. What I liked parent facing was that I could see as soon as they looked tired, or fell asleep, or had sun in eyes and could do something about it ie lay down pram. They seemed to sleep longer as weren't so distracted also

ICanSeeTheSun Sun 11-May-14 21:55:48

Are the DT breastfed.

If not why not have 1-1 time with each child, while your DH has the other 2.

Of course not always practical with work and the million other things.

rootypig Sun 11-May-14 21:57:05

They can see as much Art, but it's not where they're going confused

I think it's a temperament thing, some toddlers are into parent facing to chat or whatever, and some are super independent and want to face out - just urging OP to think about that before she shells out a grand.

HaroldLloyd Sun 11-May-14 22:00:54

I had to turn DS around recently as he was just craning around to see the front view, was a sad day! sad

Twotofive Sun 11-May-14 22:06:38

When I take them in a shopping trolley they absolutely love it & I love seeing them too!

They do seem happy in their forward facing pushchair too. But I'm always so conscious they don't seem as attached to me as my older Dd was/ is.

I don't BF either, so I also worry about the bond there too. Unfortunately my DH works long hours & isn't very confident at child care so we tend to do everything together at the weekend.

I've just asked him again if we could get one, got a 'absolutely no way!' But in my mind this would be so much better for the DTs!

happyyonisleepyyoni Sun 11-May-14 22:09:48

My DD used to almost fall out of the pushchair trying to see where we were going, so I had to give up on parent-facing when she was only about 7 months old...I wouldn't bother, OP

Eyelet Sun 11-May-14 22:34:05

Have a look at secondhand prices, you might be surprised.

when I was pg with dc#1 I wanted a certain buggy, only available online and DH said no, foolish to buy one we couldn't try. When I had dc#2 I sold the buggy we'd bought ans bought a second hand one of the one I'd always wanted.

I love it.
Every time I push it I smile. It is EXACTLY what i need from a buggy. In fact I regret not having it for dc#1 but I use it everyday and so more than make yp for it.

KnickyKnacky Mon 12-May-14 01:24:02

I have DT's. No way would I get a donkey. I spoke to another twin Mum in a park one day that had one and she said she wished she had gone with what I had (baby jogger) as the donkey is like a tank and she has trouble getting in lifts and shop doorways.

At 13 months, I agree with the other poster that said you've missed the window in them wanting to look at you when you're out and about. The world is an interesting place and the bigger they get the more they will want to look around.

Get yourself some little life back packs and/or some wrist strap reins, they will be much more useful than spending £1200 on a buggy.

As for the bond about not bf, that is bollocks. Doesn't matter if you ff or bf the bond is there. Stop tying yourself in knots worrying. thanks

Wibblypiglikesbananas Mon 12-May-14 03:43:53

I have a double Baby Jogger City Mini. I bought it new in the US (live here) for just over $300 - so about 1/5 of the price of a Donkey. It's great and I'd throughly recommend it. Yes, they're not facing you but the hoods have 2 windows apiece so you can see what they're up to and the seats go just about flat individually. The best thing is, it folds in half too so great for the car. Just another perspective but I'd definitely try it before committing to a Donkey.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Mon 12-May-14 06:42:26

I've got a bugaboo donkey and love it - I use it in due mode fir 17 month old D as and 17 week old DD. Previously used it in mono for DS

I don't have any problems with doors or lifts - I live in a Victorian house so the doors aren't particularly wide

The only time that the donkey shouldn't fit through a standard door might be if you have two car seats on, but that won't be an issue for you. If width is an issue, the the BJCM might not be the pram for you, as it's 75cms wide and the donkey - in duo - is 74 cms.

My DS is off the centiles for height and got plenty of room in it. Obviously, he's pretty heavy too but I can still push the donkey one handed with both of them in it.

I've got a single BJCM as DS' holiday buggy. It's nice and convenient but not a patch on the donkey

ikeaismylocal Mon 12-May-14 07:41:00

If you can possibly afford a second hand one I'd go for it, you can always sell it on and regain most of the money.

We have the bugaboo cameleon and ds and I ( and dp) absolutely love it. We choose the cameleon because ds is learning 2 languages so the chitchat around town is really important as he has double the words to learn.

Ds is 17 months and he doesn't turn his head to look where we are going, I do occasionally turn him to face forwards is he wants to get out of the pushchair and wehave somewhere to be so getting out isn't a possibility, I find if he can see me he sometimes wants me pick him up but if he can't see me he forgets I'm there and doesn't ask to be picked up.

I'm expecting dc2 in the autumn and I'm considering getting a donkey, first we are going to try sling for the new baby and ds in the cameleon and then ds walking/buggy board as he gets older. If this doesn't work we'll get a donkey.

It may just be chance but ds's language is great, I was anticipating his language being delayed as he is bilingual but he knows lots of words and even colours, maybe he would have developed the same regardless of parent facing.

MrsMook Mon 12-May-14 07:54:14

DS1 is very independently minded, loves studying the world, but was happy to parent face until I stopped using the pram regularly at two. He occasionally end up in there at 3 and is still happpy parent facing. DS2 is the usual occupant and still happy facing me.

Using the buggy forward facing is fine with DS1 pootling along next to it, but it does seem more lonely with just the one child. Definitely less stimulating for conversation even though I have a window in the hood.

The number of second hand Donkeys must be growing now as they've been out long enough for an ollder sibling to outgrow them.

TheIronGnome Mon 12-May-14 09:33:51
lola88 Mon 12-May-14 09:38:57

I like parent facing I have a silver cross freeway parent facing and a mcclaren buggy I only use the silvercross in very bad weather now as we are 2 up and is a nightmare getting up and down stairs but I do prefer it to the buggy because we can talk easier. I do still talk to him when he is front facing I just talk loud (i'm that annoying parent) so he can hear me and know i'm speaking to him

Twotofive Mon 12-May-14 14:10:10

Thanks everyone. I'm going to look into getting a 2nd hand one. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. I'm out and about so much in the day (I can't bear being stuck in the house with them all!) & now it's getting warmer & want to feel as if I'm spending time with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now