To wear it natural

(13 Posts)
IscreamUscream Sun 11-May-14 20:03:54

I'm having a moment and would like to wear my hair natural. Ever since I was a young girl my hair has been worn in single plait extensions ( eight hours sitting) or a full head of extensions. My own natural hair is a nice length sitting just below my shoulders. But I am a lazy moo and going natural would mean maintaining it every two weeks with a trip to the hairdresser for treatment.wearing extentions means no real maintainance just get up and go with a trip to the hairdresser every three months for a re do.
I'm getting older now and probably should give my hair break from the extensions. I have Afro hair and part of me has a fear of going au natural after years of appearing with extensions.

myusernameis Sun 11-May-14 20:07:59

Go natural! You'll soon get some nice comments which will banish the fear. Plus it'll do your scalp some good to be free of extensions for a bit.

creighton Sun 11-May-14 20:13:32

why do you need to go to the hairdresser's every two weeks? don't bother with that, you can manage your hair at home. go natural!

Bunbaker Sun 11-May-14 20:14:37

Why every two weeks? If your hair is shoulder length every 5 - 6 weeks should suffice.

missuswife Sun 11-May-14 20:26:02

I love the way natural do's look with Afro hair. Especially a nice crown braid or double French braid. It frames the face so nicely. But do what makes you happy and comfortable, it's your hair!

hotcrosshunny Sun 11-May-14 20:27:52

Go for it. I've had similar (I'm mixed race) but chicken out. What do you have to lose?

IscreamUscream Sun 11-May-14 20:29:03

Once it is chemically straightened a trip to the hairdressers every two weeks would be to have it maintained.i would like to be able to maintain it at home but wouldn't have a clue how to. Where as extensions are more easier to maintain.
I haven't had natural hair in public for years.

ThreeLannistersOneTargaryen Sun 11-May-14 20:31:51

I would give it a go.

I have let my grey grow out aged 40 (white streak from forehead plus scattered white highlights).

It's not what people are used to seeing because the usual convention is to dye, but I have no regrets.

extremepie Sun 11-May-14 20:40:51

Why would you need it straightened (just out of curiosity)? I think natural afro hair when worn curly (maybe with a bit of serum to define the curls and cut out frizz) looks bloody brilliant and am v. jealous smile

matildasquared Sun 11-May-14 21:32:40

Yes, give it a go!

There are a lot of good blogs/vlogs out there for people transitioning to natural hair. Good tips on condition, care, "protective" styles, etc.

IscreamUscream Sun 11-May-14 21:35:25

It looks better to straighten it rather than keep it Afro I think.

SueDNim Sun 11-May-14 22:02:21

I don't have an opinion on how you should wear your hair, but if it is chemically straightened then it isn't really natural - natural means nothing done to it.

Mybellyisaneasteregg Sun 11-May-14 22:06:34

Just out of curiosity what would your hair look like if you didn't get extensions or have it chemically straightened every couple of weeks?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now