To ask who you plan to vote for and why?

(119 Posts)
Eebahgum Sun 11-May-14 13:17:47

Ok, apologies in advance if this becomes a big bun fight but I'm genuinely interested. I have lost faith in all major political parties, read their manifestos and decided they're all as mad as a box of frogs. Don't want to not vote because I believe everyone who can should as recognition for living in a democracy. But who the hell should I vote for?

Vivacia Sun 11-May-14 13:27:59

I have completed a few of those "who should I vote for?" questionnaires, which came out unanimous. I think it will be a protest vote as this area is such a one-party stronghold despite it being a European election.

Eebahgum Sun 11-May-14 13:30:52

Where did you find the questionnaire? Online?

Vivacia Sun 11-May-14 14:25:26

Yes, just googled "who should I vote for?".

KleineDracheKokosnuss Sun 11-May-14 14:33:44

I spoiled my (postal) vote. I can't vote for anyone who won't tell me how they stand on the issues being discussed at the level of the body they want to be elected to, and all the leaflets I received simply told me whether they were for or against the UK being in the EU. I looked online for manifestos/anything with more detail, but everything I found was based on national politics rather than telling me how they stand on proposals for data protection changes, etc.

Andrewofgg Sun 11-May-14 14:36:49

Linden, least worst.

Andrewofgg Sun 11-May-14 14:37:17

Libdem sod it!

Icimoi Sun 11-May-14 14:40:05

Dithering about local elections. Currently the Conservatives are in power, realistically the only party that has a chance of unseating them are the LibDems. I utterly despise what they have done in government, but i despise the Conservatives more. So I may have to swallow my principles and vote LibDem because the thought of the Conservatives crowing over victory in my area is truly sickening.

redexpat Sun 11-May-14 14:51:50

For which election? EU? Local? Or EU patent?

OldLadyKnowsSomething Sun 11-May-14 14:51:58

I'd like to vote Green, but SNP is more likely to keep UKIP out, so SNP it is.

Glad I live in Scotland, and have the option. Those of you in London might like to have a look at the National Health Action Party.

FairyPenguin Sun 11-May-14 14:55:14

The VoteMatch website is quite useful if you want to compare the parties' high-level views on a variety of issues. I found lots of other websites got really detailed for me (I know it needs to be detailed, obviously, but it helped me narrow down to then look at 2 or 3 parties in particular).

Panwearsrosa Sun 11-May-14 14:56:24

Labour Party. Am a member. Holds out the best prospect of delivering the sort of society I want to live in.

revolutionarytoad Sun 11-May-14 14:57:42

Today was the 3rd bloody time we've been leafletted by UKIP- I am getting scared. Can people not bloody see what is happening.

I can't vote as I'm not British. However any vote of mine would not be a vote of confidence for any party in this election so perhaps I'm glad I can't.

ICanSeeTheSun Sun 11-May-14 14:58:44

I'm voting labour. The Reason is the local MP is fantastic.

MrsBlackthorn Sun 11-May-14 15:00:58

Labour, both locally and in the Europeans. They're the party that best reflects my views, particularly on things like health, education and the economy.

Mitchy1nge Sun 11-May-14 15:02:12

I will have to vote green which is hardly ideal

Ratbagcatbag Sun 11-May-14 15:02:42

UKIP I think. Fed up of others, maybe they will listen if UKIP get enough of their disillusioned voters.

samsam123 Sun 11-May-14 15:03:09

think i'll vote UKip just so other people on here can slag me off because apparently that makes me a fuckwit

jacks365 Sun 11-May-14 15:03:36

Unfortunately I'm in an area where the bnp have quite a following so I may vote labour to hopefully keep them out but it would be a negative vote rather than supporting labour.

aprilanne Sun 11-May-14 15:04:34

ukip .because I am fed up of all the rest .

Ratbagcatbag Sun 11-May-14 15:09:00

Samsam I think fuckwit was only one of many names we potential UKIP voters were called. wink

Mitchy1nge Sun 11-May-14 15:09:34

what would be the point of voting UKIP in European elections? they don't even engage with the European parliament so how can they represent you?

Mitchy1nge Sun 11-May-14 15:10:20

am not name calling am genuinely curious as to how UKIP MEPs are value for money

Ratbagcatbag Sun 11-May-14 15:17:17

Honestly mitchy, they very probably aren't, but I don't trust any of the others and they're not listening, so by UKIP gaining ground they may, just may start listening.

Shinyshoes2 Sun 11-May-14 15:20:57

Conservative ... They actually seem to be making a difference with welfare reform mainly which was one of the things that needed to change.
Raised the tax threshold so lots of lower paid workers dont pay tax
They have handed control to local governments giving them more say on where their money goes
Capped bankers bonuses
Drawn out a four year plan to get us out of debt

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now