to sadly accept that long tunics over jeans are no longer a cool look

(237 Posts)
Summerbreezing Sun 11-May-14 13:08:35

So handy, so comfortable, so versatile, so good at hiding a multitude of sins........ sad

annjjcook Sat 24-May-14 17:31:15

really, no longer cool?......as long as I am comfortable and clean I am past caring

SirChenjin Fri 16-May-14 16:25:21

Tea dresses have the same effect on me Fish - I could get away with them in my younger days. Mid forties and I just look like a middle aged wifie in a floral frock - which is what I am, I guess grin

Fishandjam Fri 16-May-14 14:20:53

A tea dress would make me look like I shopped at Eastex or Windsmoor. Frumptastic!

Aspiringhuman Thu 15-May-14 22:06:16

I'm sure I've seen cotton tea dresses.

Caitlin17 Thu 15-May-14 21:12:18

I don't think I have anything made of polyester. Tea dresses are usually silk, viscose, cotton or cotton jersey. Viscose is an odd one; I can't decide if it is man made or not. It is from a natural fibre but seems to involve more processes than silk or wool.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Thu 15-May-14 18:09:06

Tea dresses don't have to be made out of polyester! Cheap or otherwise!

Fishandjam Thu 15-May-14 11:55:28

Caitlin, your post is on purpose, yes? grin

Solo Thu 15-May-14 11:47:26

I like tea dresses and mine aren't cheap polyester!

JapaneseMargaret Thu 15-May-14 10:38:52

This thread. grin

EduardoBarcelona Thu 15-May-14 07:34:52

tea deress= vile cheap polysteter

SirChenjin Thu 15-May-14 07:32:35

grin Gosh

I am in the tea dress/opaques/flats/cardigan group.

Am 5ft and an apple and tunics look like hell on me.

Never managed to work out what to put on feet with leggings and jeans are no longer my friend now that I have breached size 14 :-D

GoshAnneGorilla Thu 15-May-14 01:49:52

^Bwahahaha!

Caitlin, you could have just spared us the descriptions and just written "I am considerably richer than you", but that wouldn't have been so amusing.

Caitlin17 Thu 15-May-14 01:19:37

I definitely have a uniform. For work very tailored but unconventional jackets and skirts from a Dutch designer not stocked in UK, a French designer available on a limited basis and a few handmade (not by me) jackets. For out of work 40s and 50s style dresses.

I've never owned a tunic (I'm not even sure what that is) nor leggings. I don't own trousers of any sort, nor jeans,nor trainers, crocs, converse etc nor anything made of sweatshirt material.

FindoGask Wed 14-May-14 21:31:19

I don't own a single tunic. I have my own style which is neither cool nor fashion-oriented, and briefly it comprises

1) jeans - skinny or wide-cut; or, tailored trousers, very occasionally a mini skirt
2) long sleeve shirts or t-shirts or jersey tops, or long knitted jumpers
3) converse or boots or flip-flops or ballet flats, depending on occasion

no jewellery, little to no make-up, very cropped greying hair.

I listened to a Woman's Hour episode recently which talked about how some women dress expressively, and some women have a uniform - I definitely fit into the uniform category. I feel comfortable like this, in the sense that I feel most like myself. I'm in my mid-thirties, I look my age, and I think I'll keep looking my age as I get older. And that's fine by me!

NickiFury Wed 14-May-14 21:22:47

I'm quite fascinated by this thread. I was shopping today and kept my eyes open for tunics and they're everywhere. Why is everyone selling them if we shouldn't be wearing them? Uniqlo (a shop I find is usually pretty on trend) has them, river island - more like oversized T-shirts but still styled with leggings. Walking round Westfield - London, girls and women wearing dresses and tunics and long t-shirts and leggings everywhere.

So come on, step up and tell us what we are supposed to be wearing!

SirChenjin Wed 14-May-14 17:52:54

The one who "would rather be mutton than mumsy" lives in Paris. She posts regularly to inform us Brits how shit we dress.

Vintagejazz Wed 14-May-14 15:49:12

I know Nicki, it can look great on some people. Surprised at the posters on here who swear it was 'never a cool look'. It mightn't be high fashion any more but it can still look stylish and elegantly casual when done well.

NickiFury Wed 14-May-14 15:34:39

I would love to know where all these MN fashionistas live. I'm waiting for dd at her West London primary surrounded by tunics, leggings and jeans and some of them look lovely.

Bambambini Wed 14-May-14 11:28:48

Will if tunics etc are out that's me fucked! Was always partial to tea dresses though.

Rivercam Wed 14-May-14 08:27:00

I saw bootcut jeans being referred to as 'retro' recently. I haven't stopped wearing them, as they suit my pear shaped figure.

I think to be stylish/fashionable, you have to find clothes that suit your body. I had no idea until Suzanne and Trinny taught what shapes suit my pear shaped figure and although I still get it wrong sometimes, I'm a much more savvy dresser than I used to be. Some people can naturally determine what clothes suit them, I had to learn ( in my 20/30s).

Burmahere Tue 13-May-14 21:11:45

I'm not in a spin and didn't mean to come across as rude. Agree with MyrtleDove that there is a huge difference (and that is what I was trying to say) with beating your own drum and having an individual look, not caring whether others approve or not as opposed to genuinely not giving a hoot as to what you look like and not making any effort whatsoever? It's written on this thread by a couple of posters so gave rise to my curiosity. Didn't appear to sound grumpy sorry!

Fishandjam Tue 13-May-14 21:09:44

@myrtledove "I do my best to not look shit (according to me) and to enjoy fashion as much as I can. I don't give a toss if others don't like my outfit though, or consider it not fashionable enough."

THIS.

SirChenjin Tue 13-May-14 20:23:58

Count me in Elk!

<waves placard, burns bra (nervously, as things aren't quite what they once were)>

ElkTheory Tue 13-May-14 19:48:38

Tunics look utterly ridiculous on me so I avoid them. But surely people should wear what they like and feel comfortable wearing. I happen to think that leggings and skinny jeans look unflattering on about 95% of the people who wear them. But why should anyone care about my opinion? Wear what you like! Down with the fashion police! (Shall we start a movement?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now