to sadly accept that long tunics over jeans are no longer a cool look

(237 Posts)
Summerbreezing Sun 11-May-14 13:08:35

So handy, so comfortable, so versatile, so good at hiding a multitude of sins........ sad

Bunbaker Sun 11-May-14 13:43:08

What kind of person really cares about looking "cool" apart from teenagers?

I am 55 and want to look stylish, not "cool".

Joules68 Sun 11-May-14 13:45:31

I'm off to look at white stuff

Caitlin17 Sun 11-May-14 13:47:31

Well who says? It's not a look I'd ever wear as I think jeans are boring and generally do not flatter anyone over 30 and larger than a size 10 but if you like it, it's fine and go for it. It's no-one's business (including mine) but yours.

You'd probably hate my preferred choice of tea-dresses, opaque tights, ballet flats and Brora cardies which is either wildly cool in a Bo-ho chic/Notting Hill/Primsose Hill way or wildly uncool and derided for exactly the same reasons.

MrsDeVere Sun 11-May-14 13:47:33

I am VERY cool.
I love tunics.

reallywittyname Sun 11-May-14 13:47:47

fuck cool

I wear tunic tops and bootcut jeans and scarves and I'm not cool and I don't really care that I'm not cool.

Infinity8 Sun 11-May-14 13:48:25

A lot of what is considered fashionable is hideously ugly, even on the tall, slim, beautiful model. So I can imagine what it will look like on someone like me ( size 16, short arse).

I like skinnies and tunics with boots or ballet flats.

MrsDeVere Sun 11-May-14 13:49:06

Caitlin I LOVE that look but once I hit 45 there was a fine line between looking charmingly boho and like Mrs Marple.

So I cut all my hair off and bleached it.

Solved that issue grin

reallywittyname Sun 11-May-14 13:49:14

Also, someone should tell Joe Browns if tunics and jeans aren't cool any more.

Is Joe Browns cool or not. I wear Joe Browns. Oh god, is it like Jaeger and I just haven't realised?

confused now.

MrsDeVere Sun 11-May-14 13:50:16

I like some Joe Browns stuff but some of their stuff is a bit bemusing.

I can't quite work it out.

HerrenaHarridan Sun 11-May-14 13:51:01

Truly cool people don't have to try and be cool.

You should just do what works for you regardless of trends and you will feel confident, stand out in a positive way and hell maybe some people might even think you're cool grin

MikeLitoris Sun 11-May-14 13:52:04

What exactly is a tunic top? I don't think I've ever seen anyone where what I would call a tunic with jeans. Leggings maybe but not jeans.

reallywittyname Sun 11-May-14 13:52:53

They have nice stuff then the odd OH MY GOD MY EYES piece.

Loving how you avoided the Miss Marpling by chopping and bleaching, mrsdevere grin

Take it to Style & Beauty, where they give a shit.

I no longer want to have to stress about what is covering my otherwise naked body, to be able to leave the house and live my life.

So a long type top and skinnies, or leggings that I can move in and fairly flat footwear that I can stay on my feet all day in, is my priority.

I spend half my time in Brighton, and half the time in the very rural west of Ireland. I can get away with anything, despite being vaguely potato shaped smile

OnlyLovers Sun 11-May-14 13:57:09

I like long tops with leggings, not jeans. And I'm not a mum. Is that even worse?

Not that I care. grin

alemci Sun 11-May-14 13:57:34

I like the look and they cover your bum. I sometimes wear a tunic dress over narrow trousers to work. I'm not keen on leggings on myself especially in the work place.

I don't care if it isn't 'cool'.

Caitlin17 Sun 11-May-14 13:57:51

MrsDV you sound great. Really on the age thing one thing I really regret is the hideously frumpy, decades too old for me monstrosities I wore to work in my first proper job after for a couple of years after graduating in 1982.

Actually despite what I said about age restrictions on jeans as long as one isn't frightening horses and small children dressing too young for your age is preferable to dressing old.

MrsDeVere Sun 11-May-14 14:04:16

Ahh when you were dressing like Lady Di Caitlin I had a mohawk and was working in a painfully trendy hairdressers in Kensington.

grin

MrsMaturin Sun 11-May-14 14:04:38

I think that

a) It is really depressing to see women describing themselves as looking hideous because they are above a size 12. Fat is NOT hideous. It's just fat. Who says it's hideous?

and

b) Describing a look as 'mumsy' and therefor BAD is really misogynistic language.

On that basis I will say that I am a size 22 and I wear lots of leggings and tunics in which I look bloody amazing! I am also a mum. Go me! grin

WorraLiberty Sun 11-May-14 14:06:33

Tunics don't look good over anything imo

TheBoysMamma Sun 11-May-14 14:06:45

What is now considered a cool look? Genuinely curious...

Sparklingbrook Sun 11-May-14 14:07:48

i would rather see a long top and jeans than a crop top with see through knicker-showing leggings with camel toe. Call me old fashioned.

Thenapoleonofcrime Sun 11-May-14 14:08:04

Caitlin I LOVE that look but once I hit 45 there was a fine line between looking charmingly boho and like Mrs Marple

I am snorting with laughter at this. It's so true. Many of the looks which are cool such as tweed skirts and boots look 'sexy librarian' when you are younger and just 'librarian' as you get older. Retro is particularly susceptible to this cruel twist.

Thenapoleonofcrime Sun 11-May-14 14:10:53

Who cares what is cool? I still wear a pashmina, oh yes, draped over my flabby bits with some lovely layered stuff. I think it looks fine. I often get complimented on my clothing. I'm not going to be mistaken for a 21 year old, but that's not my aim. My aim is to look like a well-dressed lady of middle-years who might have looked sexy 20 years ago

usuallysuspect Sun 11-May-14 14:11:53

I found an inch long eyebrow hair spouting this morning.

Looking uncool in long tops and jeans is the least of my worries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now