The phrase 'dirty beer'

(33 Posts)
Saffra Sat 10-May-14 22:34:10

DH comes home after a couple of beers with friends. Comes and says goodnight to 2.5 yr old dd, and says 'daddy's been drinking dirty beer tonight'. Just in a jokey way. But I don't think it's great to say this to young children. AIBU?

Saffra Sat 10-May-14 22:51:30

No, she definitely doesn't understand the ins and outs of alcohol! I do drink too, but I don't attach any good/bad thing to it. As far as she's concerned, it's just a drink.

Perhaps it's me then!

DH and I have had very different upbringings - his parents are very relaxed about alcohol but mine aren't.

Don't know, just don't like the phrase... Can't help it!

Matildasmam22 Sat 10-May-14 22:51:38

We say mucky beer (Northern) have fond memories of my late grandad saying it. I say it too my kids. Never really thought anything of it I thought it was a just a saying.

peacegardens Sat 10-May-14 22:53:11

Northern here too. And it was mucky or dirty beer

Saffra Sat 10-May-14 22:58:11

DH is Scottish.... Maybe a Scottish phrase too ??!

MistletoeBUTNOwine Sat 10-May-14 23:08:40

Mucky beer down the mucky pub here in north yorks grin

ComposHat Sun 11-May-14 01:55:55

Why didn't he bring his daughter a bottle of Hooch or Maddog 2020 home or even babycham, that is specifically designed for infants, the clue is in the name. He I's BU for being a selfish sod.

ftmsoon Sun 11-May-14 10:16:20

When I was at Uni, dirty beer meant pouring all the drip trays into a pint glass and drinking that! Used as a fine pint, not done by choice!

NannyPlumIsMyIdol Sun 11-May-14 10:23:41

Yep Northern here too and it's always 'dirty beer', has been since i was a kid and now DD2 likes to tell the checkout person in Tesco that we are getting Daddy some 'dirty beer' grin

Don't see the harm in it, it's just a saying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now