to suggest that museums should be open on saturday nights

(28 Posts)
libertytrainers Sat 10-May-14 22:02:39

would be great, something to do on a sat night, away from the kids, would pay to get in, stafffing would be good surely with students wanting expererience?

what's not to like?

McFox Sat 10-May-14 22:07:05

I'm with you there. We go to the local late nights at the museum and they are always busy, and we've been to museumnacht in Amsterdam a couple of times. It's a really nice night out and with no kids running around, it's much more enjoyable than a daytime trip I think.

I thought all of the exhibits wake up and wander the museum at night so it's not really safe is it? grin
I always fancy going to soft play without the kids! They should definitely open at night!!

EllaFitzgerald Sat 10-May-14 22:09:18

A few of them are I think. I know the Natural History Museum does evenings and overnight stays every now & again. Or at least, it used to.

meditrina Sat 10-May-14 22:10:49

From time to time the Tate does a Late.

Lots of people go.

Aspiringhuman Sat 10-May-14 22:11:05

I'd like that but I feel sorry for the staff who'd have to work.

libertytrainers Sat 10-May-14 22:11:58

but staffing would be good for students?

hjwhjw Sat 10-May-14 22:12:38

They use that time to hire out for weddings and corporates.

Wellwellwell3holesintheground Sat 10-May-14 22:12:45

Museums at night 2014 is next weekend!

meditrina Sat 10-May-14 22:13:28

I think for the Natural History overnights, you have to take a child.

The British Museum has evening events (don't know about overnighters)

weatherall Sat 10-May-14 22:13:46

I went to the national portrait gallery in the evening- it was lovely- they served wine, it was quiet- bit full of tourists or bored kids. Perfect date IMO.

EllaFitzgerald Sat 10-May-14 22:13:47

I just checked. The NHM do still do overnights, called Dinosnores.

EllaFitzgerald Sat 10-May-14 22:15:15

meditrina they do separate ones for adults and children. I'd love to go with DH but suspect his snoring may wake some of the exhibits.

meditrina Sat 10-May-14 22:15:25

The Late Tate is more pick up there, than go with date.

Bars open, but drinks only permitted in some rooms.

ICanSeeTheSun Sat 10-May-14 22:17:07

Not just students, parents with children could also like night work to save using childcare.

Open up in the night opens creates job, gives people more option rather than restaurants/pubs and hopefully generates profit.

Annunziata Sat 10-May-14 22:17:26

What students are you knowing that are desperate to work on a Saturday night? wink

It is more than just students you need, you'd need extra cleaners, the cafes would have to be open, more security etc.

WorraLiberty Sat 10-May-14 22:24:11

God this thread's depressing

I'm sitting here thinking "Actually yes, a museum on a Saturday night sounds like a great idea".

Then I thought, "Wait Worra? What happened to getting pissed on a Saturday night and wandering through the town centre, with a kebab in your hand, screaming the lyrics to something by Maddona?"

It's now just a blurred memory sad

libertytrainers Sat 10-May-14 22:25:27

pah you heathens

ivykaty44 Sat 10-May-14 22:28:38

Our local museum is open next weekend at night, they have asked for volunteers to help

meditrina Sat 10-May-14 22:36:11

So we're looking for a venue which has nudity art, dinosaurs and plenty of booze; suitable for pick-ups, first date, or rediscovering what a DH looks like when he's scrubbed up a bit. There will be both witty and erudite conversation and seriously loud rock music (for worra to song along to).

All staff will be volunteers and will be paid a minimum of twice the London living wage (or regional equivalent). And everyone attending will have been vetted by a select committee of Countryside Alliance members to ensure that no matter how plastered, we will all clear up properly after ourselves.

WorraLiberty Sat 10-May-14 22:38:16

Wait, what about kebabs? shock

WandaDoff Sat 10-May-14 22:42:44

There is a fabulous kebab place about 20 yrds from our local museum.

WorraLiberty Sat 10-May-14 22:44:35

<< Punches air >>

Never let it be said I'm not cultured Wanda grin

meditrina Sat 10-May-14 22:44:57

How about kebab van on the way out? Don't want to let the smell get into the coat of a woolly mammoth.

Rainbowrock Sat 10-May-14 23:35:07

A lovely idea but sadly most museums and galleries are cutting staff and opening hours due to government funding cuts at the moment rather than extending them. I agree they should be open in the evenings though - even if it was only one Saturday night a month.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now