To cancel dds appointment to have braces on her teeth?

(66 Posts)
moldingsunbeams Sat 10-May-14 19:02:48

Dentist refered us, its nearest one who will take her but still two buses away and about an hour and a half each way with faffing about changing so she will miss half a day each time.

She apparently has to be seen every four weeks for the next 18 months, they have sent me a letter saying they can not give appointments outside of school time.

She is about to start secondary school, she has sen and will find settling in difficult. Her new school are very strict on time off and I do not really want to unsettle her with so much time off.

In addition to this she will really really struggle to mix and make new friends and I know another child in her class currently has just had braces and has started lisping and is getting hassle and I don't really want that before she has even had chance to settle.

Aibu? Will they put it on hold for a while while she gets settled?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 10-May-14 19:05:10

I imagine of they've said she needs to be seen every 4 weeks then her teeth really need help? It's hard but I think it's something that needs to be done tbh.

TruJay Sat 10-May-14 19:06:10

Depends if u have qualified on the nhs and will not have to pay. Do not cancel in that case as u will not be offered it again further down the line.
if u are paying the costs yourself u could postpone but braces have a higher success rate the earlier u have them.

moldingsunbeams Sat 10-May-14 19:07:22

Nope they see all patients every four weeks apparently.

moldingsunbeams Sat 10-May-14 19:10:33

Sorry xpost Dame, bah so if we contacted dentist and explained she would not get it on nhs later down line? sad

Delphiniumsblue Sat 10-May-14 19:16:27

I wouldn't cancel. Both mine had braces and appointments were always in school time. It is perfectly acceptable, they had to be on NHS. It always seemed to me that practically every child at secondary school was there! They never got any hassle - it is just so common these days. I am so pleased, they both have lovely teeth now.

WhoNickedMyName Sat 10-May-14 19:19:01

Kids who don't have braces these days seem to me to be the odd ones out.

It's worth a phonecall to ask if you can hold off on the treatment for a bit, but I personally wouldn't.

jamdonut Sat 10-May-14 19:19:52

That's a fairly standard routine. I sent an email to school explaining exactly what would be happening when my DS2 went to see the orthodontist at the beginning of the year. He gets seen every 6 weeks and can't be offered any time other than during school time. Luckily a branch of the orthodontist opened in our town in December,so We now don't have to travel over 20 miles to get there,but it is only open on on day a week at the moment,so he always misses one or other lesson on a Tuesday... So far the school have been OK about it,and I worked out that middle of the day is better so he doesn't get any late registrations.

The school I work at,on the other hand,is not so happy about me having to take him,even though I'm gone for less than an hour,when it would have had to be a couple of hours to the "parent" branch.

As for getting hassle from his peers,they all seem to be having braces fitted at the moment so they are all in the same boat!

emsyj Sat 10-May-14 19:24:24

Please let her get the braces now - otherwise she will end up like me paying £3.5k for the privilege as an adult and wearing train tracks in her 30s! I wish my DMum had taken the trouble to follow up and get my teeth straightened when I was a child. It's so important - not just for cosmetic reasons, but because straight teeth are easier to keep clean and healthy. You only get one set of teeth, after all.

SybilRamkin Sat 10-May-14 19:38:43

I had to pay £3.5k to get my teeth done as an adult, it was far more time-consuming and painful than it would have been as a child.

Just do it, crooked teeth can really impair someone's looks and self-confidence. One morning/afternoon a week which many of her peers will also be doing isn't the end of the world.

TeacupDrama Sat 10-May-14 19:39:47

orthodontists see teenage children all day every day so you have to go in school time you can ask for maybe wed pm one time thurs am next so she does not miss exactly the same lesson every 4 weeks

I am a dentist ( not an orthodontist) the optimum time for doing orthodontics is at puberty/teenage growth spurt as soon as all permanent teeth are in for most girls this is 11-13 though it will vary, the orthodontist will not start treatment too early they will say come back in 6 months if she is not ready

she is obviously ready otherwise would not have the appointment normally it is one shot only on NHS if you start now she will have had 3 or 4 appointments before secondary starts in september I would strongly advise you just go for it now

you do not get NHS orthodontics in UK if your teeth are only a tiny bit squint so she must need it, your call but now is the right time for orthodontics 2 years time it will work but no longer be the best time

TeacupDrama Sat 10-May-14 19:40:29

PS the above are generalisations there will be exceptions but this will be true for at least 80% of orthodontic patients

Dreamgirls234 Sat 10-May-14 19:43:01

It's the norm. It's best to let her have them on now rather than later on when she won't thank you for her not having the teeth she's always wanted. My dd school Is strict on time but if you explain they do listen and will co-operate with regards to it being every 4 weeks that's normal too it's to change and tighten and re align the brackets my dd has braces and had an operation yesterday to uncover a tooth. Please please let her have them on best thing I ever did for my dd and the lisp kids get over it braces are a lot more common than you think. Do what's best for her x

EddieStobbart Sat 10-May-14 19:46:25

I've spent £5k on a brace and it has been on now for about 4 years. Was so expensive partly because have fancy one that goes behind my teeth in the top row but given the time it's taken I'm glad I spent the extra £1k. I'm 41.

Just do it now. I understand your concerns, I really do but it will be so much better for her in the long run and there will be lots of other kids with new braces at school.

EddieStobbart Sat 10-May-14 19:48:11

Btw, for me the lisp wore off very quickly

LIZS Sat 10-May-14 19:49:12

We deferred the final decision partly due to resistance from ds (sensory and dyspraxic issues) and inconvenience of trips to the hospital but it has meant that ds has only just started treatment at 16, just before GCSEs and we have missed the main growth spurt which enables the difference to be made quicker and with better results. Depending on the type of braces she needs you may or may not have to go that regularly . ds currently ahs removable twin blocks and although awkward his speech isn't nearly as problematic as we'd anticipated . That may change when he has a fixed added in a couple of months. so many have had braces in secondary, but most have had them out again by this age so in fact he is now the more unusual. Some NHS units will put you back on the waiting list and recall , others might not. We had to get a further referral from the dentist to restart the process.

Coconutty Sat 10-May-14 19:51:39

I cancelled DSs appointment because he doesn't want a brace. His teeth are straight but he has an overbite. It was going to cost 3k anyway. Very few children get it free these days.

I think at 14 he is old enough to decide.

Coconutty Sat 10-May-14 19:55:14

They usually tell you at the first orthodontist appointment if you have to pay or not.

Purplepoodle Sat 10-May-14 19:58:15

My oh mother in her wisdom decided not to proceed with braces when he was younger as he didn't want to have them. Now my oh regrets it so much. He has problems keeping his teeth clean as they are wonky which has resulted in gum disease, tooth pain, chipped teeth (as the edges are more exposed). It's a nightmare and costs us so much in dental treatment.

EddieStobbart Sat 10-May-14 20:06:20

I really didn't want a brace at school. I then spent the next 20 years wincing when I saw my teeth in photos and checking food wasn't caught between them. I hope that seeing me with a brace will normalise it for my DCs but it could also make then think it's an option they can take up later like mummy.

babyfedleaning Sat 10-May-14 20:06:25

She's at the age in her life when her teeth will move easily and relatively painlessly (compared to later life) due to all the growing she is/ is about to do. This means that in the long run she her teeth will be sorted and her braces off before she starts doing SATs / GCSE etc stuff when time away from lessons really is going to matter a great deal. Loads of kids have it at that age. Mine went on at 11 and came off 18 months later. Appointments are so frequent because her jaw will be growing so quickly and a retainer will need reshaping / fixed braces will need tightening. You sound like you have already decided not to go ahead, what does she think? What will her adult self think?

TeenAndTween Sat 10-May-14 20:11:54

If you time things carefully you can go in half term and school holidays so maybe only once every half term. DD had to go every 6 weeks, we occasionally pushed it to 7 weeks to reach half terms etc.

By y8 loads and loads of them will have braces. DD is delighted hers came off recently so she won't have the bother of them for y11 or for prom, much better to do it early.

If you are lucky your school is like ours and only has one lesson after lunch. So although DD missed half a day for each appointment it was actually only 1 lesson out of 5. Try hard you can pick a lesson she doesn't like that isn't very important to miss.

Only1scoop Sat 10-May-14 20:16:15

I was your dd many years ago. Always in school time. Bus journey to orthodontist....every 4 to 6 weeks.

Thank goodness my mum made me as I'd have backed out like a shot.

I was the same age just starting school. It's so important....

bruffin Sat 10-May-14 20:26:03

Its better earlier than later. Dd didnt get hers until beginning of yr10 and had to go every 6 weeks on a wednesday and had to miss gcse classes. She is going into 6th form in sept and still has months of treatment left.

annikins37 Sat 10-May-14 20:49:31

I think it should be up to your dd. I was very shy, and became very upset when told I 'had to' have a brace in my teenage years, so my dm gave me the choice to go ahead or not. I chose not - my teeth are not straight, but not too bad. I do get more mouth problems than most people, but have never regretted my decision, or blamed my dm, as it was my choice. If I was that bothered, I could always have had it done since. If it's just the inconvenience, I would do it, but if your dd doesn't want it, leave it. (You don't say anywhere whether she wants it or not I don't think?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now