To think Secondary School teachers deserve a medal?

(19 Posts)
middleagedspread Sat 10-May-14 14:30:25

My DS's are taking GCSE's & AS's at the moment & I'm blown away by the commitment of their teachers.
Extra revision sessions, emails answered at 11pm at night, lunchtimes given up.
I met an MFL teacher socially this week and she's counting down the hours until it's over & I don't blame her.
thanks to you all.

flumposie Sat 10-May-14 14:49:21

Thanks (smile)

Ghostsdonttalk Sat 10-May-14 14:57:42

I still remember the ones that made a difference. Teachers good and bad can really leave a lasting impact on a childs life.

WildThong Sat 10-May-14 14:58:36

Agree. My DS has a couple of teachers who do the minimum, basically just turn up, do their hours and are first into the car park at 3.45. (I know you get people like that in all professions), but they are the ones who get all teachers tarred with the same brush. He also has maths and graph comm teachers who have worked Saturdays, Easter, public holidays, after school and lunchtime sessions, and special 5pm to 7pm sessions for their pupils. They don't seem to get the credit they deserve for their 'extra mile'.

3littlefrogs Sat 10-May-14 14:58:58

My DD has had 3 wonderful teachers during her time at secondary school.

A good teacher is life changing for the child who is fortunate enough to encounter them. They are remembered for a life time by the child and the parents.

I am so grateful and so in awe of those teachers. I definitely think they deserve a medal.

Sparklingbrook Sat 10-May-14 15:02:21

Agreed. I wouldn't teach for all the money in the world, especially Secondary.

DS1 has some brilliant teachers. There is one subject especially that he is excelling in and I know for a fact it's down to the teacher.

Mrsjayy Sat 10-May-14 15:02:22

yes they do, our teachers at dds go above and beyond for the kids taking exams, I have a special place in my heart ( i know that sounds sentimental) for one of dd2s teachers she has helped her confidence and got her through tests and exams and she is just wonderful , dd has some SN but this teacher has been such a boost to her and recognised her needs and dd has blossomed and passed her exams ,

Mrsjayy Sat 10-May-14 15:02:30

school*

ihaveadirtydog Sat 10-May-14 15:06:37

Agreed. My DH is one and seems to have been marking coursework in most of his waking hours for months. 80 students, 3 drafts, on average 45 mins per draft...
And that's on top of planning etc.

Sparklingbrook Sat 10-May-14 15:09:14

How does he keep going ihave? Does he love it or hate it? I just can't imagine.

Icimoi Sat 10-May-14 15:09:55

Many do, a few don't. No medals here for that stupid cow who made DD do PE when she had broken her toe. Or the one who didn't think it was necessary to let us know when DS had been the victim of a happy slapping attack, and gave the attackers a one day exclusion.

Sparklingbrook Sat 10-May-14 15:13:01

Oh yes, actually there is one from years ago who can't have a medal. She said 'Sometimes Mrs Sparkling you have to let life be the teacher', and I thought 'No, the teacher needs to be the teacher and stop the low level bullying'.
A swift move to a different school sorted that one out.

They do. I've recently heard that one of my old teachers has taken up a headship & I keep meaning to write and say thank you, because she steered me through a difficult time, but I don't know how to do it without sounding awfully cheesy.

claraschu Sat 10-May-14 15:18:33

Tremendous thanks to the wonderfully inspiring teacher who took time to talk to my 17 year old son and get him fired up about a subject he wasn't even taking for A Level.

I am most grateful to teachers who aren't motivated just by grades and league tables, but by passion for their subject, and determination to share that passion with students.

claraschu Sat 10-May-14 15:20:16

Nothing wrong with being a bit cheesy, Posy. I think cheesy (and sincere) is much appreciated by a dedicated teacher.

MaureenMLove Sat 10-May-14 15:43:12

Love teachers of all kinds. Unless you are on the inside of a school, you never really know what's going on, despite thinking that you know best and think the way your lo's school works.

So often on here, posters moan and whine about the way schools are run and about how lucky the teachers are to get so much time off etc etc. I never get involved. I can't be arsed. I work at a secondary school and I have nothing but admiration for the hard work they all do. Almost every single one of them! wink

I'm quite heavily involved in the smooth running of the publc exams and I can't wait til it's all over! And then it's all done. Nothing to do, but sit it out until 23rd July, right? Wrong. The day after the exams finish, we start all over again with yr7 and 6th form induction...... And so it goes on!

Lots of positive thoughts and strength to secondary teachers all over Mumsnet for the next 5 weeks! flowers

Fourarmsv2 Sat 10-May-14 15:46:48

smile

Thank goodness for smart phones that make answering 11pm emails much less painless!

crazydashboard Sat 10-May-14 15:47:00

That's really nice OP smile
Best bit about teaching, seeing kids have eureka moments and seeing their faces when they have worked so hard and get good results.
Supportive parents like you are vital though
So smile for you!

MushroomSoup Sat 10-May-14 16:23:41

Posy please do it. You wouldn't believe how a line in an email or a quick card can make everything worthwhile!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now