Ready to be put firmly back in my place by MN re school photo!

(21 Posts)
Y0L0 Sat 10-May-14 11:37:48

My dd took part in a sporting event at school this week. Lots of photos of it were taken and a montage of photos was put in the weekly newsletter.

My dd towers over her classmates. The only photo of her in the montage is of her neck down alongside two of her classmates. Her head is covered by the photo on top.

This really bothers me, I can't really explain why but I'll try to. If they'd cropped the photo so it just showed the two girls and not my dd at all I would not be bothered. If they'd included my dd's head and not all three girls lower legs that wouldn't have bothered me at all. I accept that may have left sky above the two other girls heads, or they could have overlapped the other photos over the empty space.

It's the cutting off the head in the photo that I really don't like.

IABU aren't I?

SavoyCabbage Sat 10-May-14 11:40:31

Yes. There are seven classes in my dd's primary in each year. If her fingernail was in the newsletter I'd be past myself.

They were just editing. They do bot wish your dd harm! grin

MrsMaturin Sat 10-May-14 11:42:28

So your dd only features from the neck down? Ok yanbu. That's crap editing by whoever put it together. I expect she is possibly a bit conscious of her height? even if she is not there are plenty of girls who are and schools SHOULD be conscious of that. I would point this out to the school. If they're including photos they should make sure that the photos does not inadvertently make the subject the potential subject of ridicule. You could withdrawn your consent for photos of her to be used.....

AuntieStella Sat 10-May-14 11:43:24

No, I don't think so. Unless the total numbers in the team/s meant it was every girl in the year group or similar.

There is a (time consuming) art to making sure that everyone is included in such montages. It's more work than you think. But it's done because they know that children and families are looking closely and they want to be inclusive and fair.

That said, on this one occasion, it is probably bad luck, and there may be others who aren't in pictures either. Cropping across the body is regrettable, but isn't the key point here. What's the standard of the newsletter like generally?

paxtecum Sat 10-May-14 11:44:40

YADNBU.
Whoever put the montage together must be very dim.

lionheart Sat 10-May-14 11:44:51

I see your point, it is clumsy but perhaps just one of those things that happens when there is too much to do and too little time.

Or maybe it was edited because your dd had her eyes closed or something rather than because of height?

Is that possible?

TheSpottedZebra Sat 10-May-14 11:45:53

YANBU, and I would be annoyed also.
But as I am removed from it, I can guess that there was no harm meant, rather someone was probably doing a quick cut and paste job, probably too much to do in too little time... And they just shoved it (the newsletter) together without too much thought.

But, yeah, it's shoddy.

MrsWinnibago Sat 10-May-14 11:46:09

YANBU! I'd find out who put it together and say jokingly "Thanks for beheading my DD in the montage....I know she's tall but really?" and smile

MrsMaturin Sat 10-May-14 11:46:39

I don't think the OP is objecting to her dd NOT being in the montage. She's objecting that she is in but in a ridiculous way!

Y0L0 Sat 10-May-14 11:46:49

The newsletter is normally very good, but thinking about it this is the first time that I think there's been a montage of photos. Normally it's a photo of the team taken at the end. In those ones my dd kneels down to be a similar height as the front row.

diddl Sat 10-May-14 11:46:59

So there's no photo of her?

Was every else included?

If she was the only one missed out then I think that yanbu.

Chottie Sat 10-May-14 11:48:06

You are not being unreasonable. I would expect to see my DD's head and face in the picture too. If it was in a montage, surely her tallness could be accommodated? I can't believe she is the only tall child in the school.

Y0L0 Sat 10-May-14 11:54:22

Not every child who partook is in the photos. And I wouldn't mind if dd was not included (would be nice if she was but understand not all always can), it's the cut off point I don't like.

ooerrmissus Sat 10-May-14 11:55:47

Oh dear, I am sure there was no malice involved, more ineptness.

If it helps the worst example of school newsletter photos I saw involved a photo of a teacher which had been stretched sideways to fit in. As the lady is already of generous proportions it made her look about the size of a caravan. I would have been livid if that were me!

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sat 10-May-14 11:58:26

Sounds like a cock up on their part. Irritating, but I'd let it go.

BuzzardBird Sat 10-May-14 11:58:28

I wouldn't like that either, its the way it makes you feel isn't it? I understand, I wouldn't like to see my DD 'beheaded' in a photo either.

VenusDeWillendorf Sat 10-May-14 12:04:18

Sounds like they made a mess of it, but not intentionally.

Maybe have a word about it to the editor, but go in with curiosity- maybe the person who normally does the image editing was out that day, and they got the post boy in to do it?

And suggest your dd goes to the front and kneels in all photos in future (similar situation myself, and sick of seeing tiny blurry heads at the back for my dcs)

VenusDeWillendorf Sat 10-May-14 12:05:27

Ooermissus, that poor teacher... How hugely embarrassing.

Y0L0 Sat 10-May-14 12:30:17

Ooermissus that is bad, very unfortunate.

TimeForAnotherNameChange Sat 10-May-14 12:40:00

Actually I don't think you are being unreasonable at all. It's rather... dehumanising for want of a better word, it's saying she doesn't matter, she doesn't count. I'd go in and see the recopetionist (it's usually they who do newsletters) and ask if there was a particular issuee that led to them excluding your daughter's picture. Chances are it's just an almighty oversight, but it's unkind to children and they should know better.

BerniesBurneze Sat 10-May-14 13:10:19

Yanbu it's ridiculous! But nothing to voice a complaint over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now