to lol at 'football related sadness'

(253 Posts)

Man on my facebook reckons he needs a day off work because of emotional stress, I said he should have one if he needs it and asked the reason why.

He said the footy results.

he is being deadly serious and saying he's suffering from 'football related sadness' and that he feels so alone and upset, he is crying.

Now I fully understand mental illness having suffered/suffering from it myself... but really?

Maybe a sign of something underlying you may say but I've known him for a good few years and football really does seem to get him down when his team loses!

Anyone else glad they don't have a partner who is obsessed with the football?!

deemented Mon 05-May-14 22:37:00

Football isn't a game of life or death. It's much more serious then that.

YABU.

SantanaLopez Mon 05-May-14 22:38:01

My DH has cried three times in his entire life;
1. when Henrik Larsson ('the only man I've ever loved') broke his leg
2. when Henrik Larsson retired
3. when Celtic were beaten in Seville in the European Cup final

confused

I just laugh!

I have two DSs and a DH who love football. FRS is a thing in this house for sure.

RhondaJean Mon 05-May-14 22:38:19

YAbu! Good lord woman.

However he should wait till next Monday for this. So he is bu too.

needaholidaynow Mon 05-May-14 22:39:35

My partner is the opposite and is grinning like a Cheshire cat tonight.

I'm just clueless when it comes to football.

grin

Maybe I should start a support group for these poor fellows?

RhondaJean Mon 05-May-14 22:40:14

God Santana I was sick when Larsson broke his leg.

I was at Seville, the walk out of the stadium, my god it felt like my heart had been ripped out through my ribcage.

I was also at Larssons last home game and last hampden game, they were sad but not on that level. I didn't really mind when he retired as he was playing in Sweden by then.

SantanaLopez Mon 05-May-14 22:47:14

I thought there had been a death in DH's family when I came over after the leg break!

Seville was really sad. I remember DH's elderly uncle crying into his sombrero sad

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Mon 05-May-14 22:50:42

It may seem ridiculous to you and I do get why, but honestly I live with a LFC fan and I'm dreading when he gets home from work tomorrow sad he's gonna be hell to live with now. I may have to move out till beginning of new season!

While I don't usually care about foot stuff I'm genuinely gutted for LFC they so deserved to win it this season.

Does it affect your family life desperately if he's a sod with you that's not on!

HappyTalking Mon 05-May-14 22:56:18

needaholiday as a manchester city fan i am grinning too.

I can't wait to get to work tomorrow.

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Mon 05-May-14 23:39:54

He'll be gutted I know he will. give him a day or 2 and keep out of his way and then expect him to sort himself out. Only one thing more tragic than footy related sadness and that's having arguments about footy related sadness!

he'd be in a helluva lot of shit if he takes time off work for it though! not worth losing a days pay. he wouldn't do that. the ribbing from the blues and the united fans for phoning in sick or whatever would be shocking! he'd never live it down grin

Oh god I couldn't live like that!

NeitherTheChimeNorThePlace Mon 05-May-14 23:42:30

Ah Henrik Larsson, King of Kings. What a legend, I cried then too Santana.

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Mon 05-May-14 23:50:45

Honestly it doesn't bother me or the DC for most past we just let him get on with it. I even occasionally bait the odd neverton/manure fans myself on fb for my own amusement grin

It's a shame they haven't won it this season but hey onward and upward, always next season, you'll never walk alone and all that smile

This is a genuine condition, as yet unrespected by the medical profession with all their silly qualifications, research and years of experience!

Happily a prescription is widely available.

Few pints down the local with 'bessie' mate, a good moan and the resolution that it is the owners/managers fault and that 'we' will sort it out next season, if only we can get the money/players.

oh, and the ref is a bastard and it was completely unfair, and that if 'x' had only managed to reach for that header, 'we' should have changed the back four ... ad infinitum.

Sorry, think I need a lie down....

meditrina Tue 06-May-14 00:12:43

6 weeks until the start of the World Cup.

Expect an epidemic?

vvviola Tue 06-May-14 00:14:13

Rugby is the usually the cause in this house. We both suffer from rugby related sadness, although DH's case is a lot more serious than mine.

Symptoms include:
- random swearing
- sulking
- blaming of spouse for the defeat of own team by spouse's team
- mutterings about cheating/dirty play/smugness.
- threats of moving home if it happens again (my particular symptom)

Thank god DH's team is the All Blacks. It keeps his attacks nice and infrequent.

Being Irish, my attacks are more frequent but less severe because I'm so bloody used to it at this stage

There is also a reverse of the disease, which involves leaping up and down screaming and frightening the children. Particularly difficult to control especially when you are watching the Six Nations at 5am on the other side of the world.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Tue 06-May-14 00:15:06

grin We narrowly avoided FRS this weekend, when a 93rd minute equaliser kept DH & DS1's beloved Birmingham City from being relegated (again).

Last time they were relegated we had much sulkiness when I maybe suggested that football is only a game.

Apparently, it really isn't confused.

I get it entirely, the agony and the ecstasy, it is very real. I don't support Liverpool but was really hoping they'd win the League this year.

We have two Birmingham supporters in the house, there was much football related happiness this weekend.

caruthers Tue 06-May-14 02:31:16

The T-shirts they had printed need to put away so as not to cause further embarrassment ...roll on Wednesday and then Sunday.

JonesRipley Tue 06-May-14 04:41:35

I hate football . I have football related eye rolling.

Costacoffeeplease Tue 06-May-14 06:43:07

I detest football with a passion - grown men letting a football result ruin their day/weekend/life - really?? There is no way my DH would be indulged in this type of childish behaviour - I just wouldn't be with him, I couldn't be attracted to a man-child who is so obssessed with football that he sulks

My BIL is fairly addicted, his life revolves around kick off times, I just openly laugh at him and treat it all with contempt

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now