Should I say something? Food over laptop

(19 Posts)
Anotheronebitthedust Sun 04-May-14 17:29:57

That's really rude, I think it would depend on how much of a friend he is, whether you say something, as there is a possibility he might sulk if you pull him up on it. Doesn't sound as if he has much respect for you though, if he's happy to treat your possessions like that. Ungrateful arse!

I bought quite a good little computer cleaning kit from poundland, if you're near one, it's got a tiny thing little brush thing for cleaning out stuff between keys, screen cleaner, etc. It was £1 grin

Lauren83 Sun 04-May-14 17:13:52

This would annoy me, I was ttc (still am) and leant a friend my clear blue fertility monitor as they are about £100 to buy and she was ttc, I sent it her with packaging, full batteries and 10 spare test sticks worth about £10, I got it back 9 months later with dead batteries, no sticks (out of courtesy you would of expected her to replace at least a couple and you can't reset it without using a stick so it was annoying not having one and I had to spend £23 on a box of sticks to set reset it) it was also filthy, lesson learnt!

PrincessBabyCat Sun 04-May-14 15:22:28

Lent a friend my computer for a couple months, told her not to DL any torrent programs because that's what killed her last computer. She DLed it anyway, then deleted the execution file instead of uninstalling it, so I couldn't uninstall it unless I re-DLed it again. Also, my computer died a few weeks later. I just about murdered her. If she were any other friend we wouldn't be on speaking terms. Then again, if she were any other friend I wouldn't have lent my computer.

Anyway, your stuff, your rules. smile

This is why I don't share my stuff with people

dustarr73 Sun 04-May-14 15:18:46

I think say something o them,its very disrespectful to abuse your laptop.t least this way he knows not to ask again.

Boomerwang Sun 04-May-14 14:32:55

I'd say something for sure, no matter how close a friend it was. If anyone was so disrespectful towards me that they treat my possessions so badly then they're not a close friend anyway.

Nomama Sun 04-May-14 13:46:07

I'd tell him...

"Oh! I thought I'd let you know I worked out why your laptop broke. You overfed it! You obviously fed mine too, it's full of food"

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Sun 04-May-14 13:40:37

I'd ask him to clean it or replace it if he can't be arsed cleaning it. And make a point that things should get returned in the same condition as they were lent.

HappyAgainOneDay Sun 04-May-14 12:23:48

EverythingsDozey

Good ideas there ^^. If somethings stuck between the keys, try a toothbrush.

Peekingduck Sun 04-May-14 11:20:45

Why wouldn't you say something?

AiryFairyHairyAndScary Sun 04-May-14 11:18:21

That sounds terrible, I think I would mention it to him.

antimatter Sun 04-May-14 11:13:37

put an old pair of tights over vacuum tube in case it wants to swallow something you may not want to lose...

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sun 04-May-14 11:12:56

I'd probably text/email "have you been using my laptop as a picnic table?! It's bloody filthy, just taken me 45 minutes to clean it!" Or something like that.

wheresthelight Sun 04-May-14 11:10:05

I would say something and ask for a contribution towards fixing it

Forgettable Sun 04-May-14 11:08:16

I would probably not say anything but not offer any help in future. Tough tit.

BitterAndOnlySlightlyTwisted Sun 04-May-14 11:05:50

I'm obviously quite different to other posters on here as I'd most definitely say something. And that something would be "You filthy disrespectful toad! Ask to borrow anything else in the future and you know what the answer will be, so don't bloody-well bother"

I don't think I would say something unless he wanted to borrow it again. Vacuum cleaner nozzles are good for keyboards or you can get cans of aerosol from somewhere like PC world with a long tube attachment to get into the keys and blow the dust out.

domistheone Sun 04-May-14 09:50:50

I remember a friend lent another friend her curling iron. It was returned with some sort of greece smeared over it confused

I generally don't borrow anything (don't like the responsibility) but when I do I make sure it's returned exactly as it was given to me.

YANBU. I wouldn't say anything though, I'd just never lend him anything again.

CoffeeTea103 Sun 04-May-14 09:47:25

How rude of your friend to do that, not to mention dirty. I wouldn't say anything as it's done now and you're cleaning it. But I would definitely make a note to never lend him anything again.

katykat5 Sun 04-May-14 09:29:14

I lent a laptop to a friend because he needed it for job applications. His is currently broken. This laptop is a mini notebook type that I used to have for work but am hoping to sell, as I don't often use it.

After several months he has returned it and it's filthy. There are bits of food in between the keyboard keys, sticky finger marks on the mouse keypad and on the outside. The screen is also smeared and dirty.

AIBU to think that when you're borrowing a laptop worth a few hundred pounds, you should take care of it and not eat over it? Or at least make the effort to clean it before it's returned? I don't know whether to say something as I now have the lovely task of trying to get the bits of good out of the tiny gaps in the keyboard!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now