To ask teacher why my dc was kept in at playtime and after school.

(31 Posts)
finalcountdownofdays Sat 03-May-14 15:13:08

(name changed so other posts are not linked as it will be obvious who I am in RL).

There have been some issues with dcs class being kept late after school every night anywhere up to 10/15 minutes because one or two children cannot be quiet at home time, instead of the "johnny your sitting nicely you can go, fred your sitting nicely you can go" teacher is keeping ALL the kids back, presumably to put pressure on the 'naughty' ones but it is not working.

This has caused issues as several grandparents collect and the route home is a very steep hill and an hourly bus which they have been missing, several children have also missed it and had to wait an hour, they are final year of primary so 10/11 and of course their parents have been worried, there have also been people late for work, missed appointments and people having to wait 10 minutes in rain with other kids night after night.

Several people complained to teacher and head. All said if OUR kids have been naughty keep them back but if not punish the ones who have.

Anyway it happened again and people again complained, teacher was very cross with the class the next day at being told off and basically took it out on them from the sounds of it.

That morning teacher had a go at the kids about them being kept late and named parents who had complained to the children, then shortly after my dc had been out of room, when dc came back the class had apparently done something wrong and where sat in silence, the children who had helped the teacher in a job the day before were let out, my dc came back after they had been told off and had not even been in the room at the time of the incident was made to sit down in silence. Had they all been kept in fair enough but several were allowed out to play.

There have been other incidents including leaving a bully in a room and asking the whole class including bullied child infront of the bullies friend what they thought about bully and whether they thought bully had done it (bully has a history) and more which I won't go in to at this point.

I do not have any issue with dc being kept back if they have done wrong but the punishments teacher dishes out is just leaving them with nothing to lose.

Forgettable Sat 03-May-14 15:17:30

Ok

Are you in England, Wales, Scotland, NI or elsewhere?

This is primary, I guess, and not a private school either?

finalcountdownofdays Sat 03-May-14 15:19:11

Thank for reading, sorry its so long!
Primary, state school in England.

Gurnie Sat 03-May-14 15:24:26

The teacher does not sound good at all. I teach primary school children. This sort of "punishment" is totally unacceptable and frowned on in the school where I work. Yes, we may VERY occaisionally ask the children to all stay in the lunch room a couple of minutes longer than usual if it has been excessively noisy but it's not a regular event by any means.

I loathe whole class punishments. My Dd was in a class like this herself 2 years ago. The teacher would sometimes keep them in for nearly all of their playtime even though she admitted it was only 2 or 3 children that were being silly. It became such a regular occurance that even the sensible well behaved children got totally fed up with it and could see no point it behaving sensibly if they all got punished anyway.

As in your case it didn't work. This continued for most of the year until several parents complained to the headteacher (who is fantastic). Also as in your case there were other incredibly inappropriate behaviours from the teacher......some so crass and awful it was laughable.

She has now left the school.......gone before she was pushed. Go and see the HT rather than the teacher. Yanbu at all.

hakunafrittata Sat 03-May-14 15:24:34

Of course you are not being unreasonable, I don't think the teacher has the right to detain anyone after school hours. He/she sounds like a control freak.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Sat 03-May-14 15:25:14

Teacher has issues. Specifically- he/she meeds to grow the fuck up!

Raskova Sat 03-May-14 15:25:16

Did you post about her keeping them in previously?

It all sounds like bad behaviour from an adult. Your DC should have been allowed out too. Unless he is teaching them I be like a 'team' then I think she's just being mean.

Surely she shouldn't know who complained? She should just know that there are complaints?

deakymom Sat 03-May-14 15:26:56

you have posted before yes? school can't keep children behind without 24 hours notice anyway your parents have the right to go to reception and request your child immediately/on time in future

VanGogh Sat 03-May-14 15:34:25

Time to speak with the head and of that doesn't work, the chair of governors too.

finalcountdownofdays Sat 03-May-14 15:35:24

Yes have posted about the keeping behind before, was told to complain and get others to complain, people did and it has been taken out on the children.

The teacher strips all their golden time away (they can save it up) and then backs down and gives it them back or promises they can use it next day then breaks promise, it ended up with around 200 minutes at one point because they are never allowed to use it) which means the kids simply do not bother trying to get it.

There was an incident in which they were made to stay in and tidy the classroom (fair enough) only according to several children teacher threw extra mess including boxes of colours on to floor so they had to tidy up those too which just seems daft!

This is a very senior teacher.

Gurnie Sat 03-May-14 15:38:42

Crikey, this could almost be the same teacher! As you have realised as have the kids this approach is unfair and totally disrespectful of the children. I'd write this down in a letter/email to the headteacher even if you've complained before.

LongTailedTit Sat 03-May-14 15:40:35

Sounds like she hates her job and is taking it out on the children - what a piece of work.
The HT needs to resolve this ASAP, regardless of the teacher's seniority. It'd almost make more sense if this was a newly qualified teacher who hadn't yet figured out how to deal with the DC and was cocking it up due to inexperience, but an experienced senior teacher behaving like this is horrible.

finalcountdownofdays Sat 03-May-14 15:41:20

Don't have much hope in going to head as teacher is now acting head!

Gurnie Sat 03-May-14 15:46:15

Oh you poor things! That is dreadful. In the end we got through the year by listening to our Dd and agreeing with her that the situation was totally unfair, that teachers should not be behaving like that but that sometimes you do meet unpleasant people in your life etc etc. Not ideal but a life lesson.

When I spoke to the head the final time (after she had stared at my DD in class and said "Tomorrow we will be talking about UNUSUAL families.....LittleGurnie, you probably have books about them at home" because we are gay parents!) she put her head in her hands and just said "I'm so sorry".

Raskova Sat 03-May-14 15:46:52

I'd still go to them. They were appointed because they're seen capable of dealing with this shit.

If she's a very senior teacher then she's old er . This is something my primary school teachers did. Maybe she's just that old school. Was tAught that way and can't see why it's wrong

This is so unfair, not a punishment that should ever be used as it punishes all and not just the culprits! Talk to the head

Forgettable Sat 03-May-14 15:50:50

You still need to follow school grievance policy, which will prob go something like:

Complain in writing to HT
If no satisfaction raise with Board of Govs
If no satisfaction write to Education Dept at local authority

Keep contemporaneous notes, signed and dated, of each event as it occurs, from now on. Just for evi if needed.

EduCated Sat 03-May-14 15:52:00

Am I right in thinking your DD is in Y6? If so, can you pull her out for the rest of term? Teacher sounds downright nasty.

If not, I think I'd be looking at moving schools.

Fairenuff Sat 03-May-14 15:52:06

I remember your earlier post. I think you should just go into the class at home time and say "I've come to collect my child". That's what I said on the other thread too. Why don't you must do that?

nennypops Sat 03-May-14 15:52:48

I think you need to go through the complaints system. If the head won't sort it, complain to the governors. Ideally get together as many of the other parents who agree with you as you can.

Peekingduck Sat 03-May-14 15:52:59

Follow the school complaints procedure. Complain in writing first to the Head. After that it will be write to the Chair of Governors, then if not satisfied the DfE.

YouTheCat Sat 03-May-14 15:53:28

Write to the head (even if you know you won't get anywhere) and then write to the governors.

If this person is acting head there is half a chance they will go for the job once it is advertised and this will count against them getting the permanent position.

finalcountdownofdays Sat 03-May-14 16:16:08

Teacher is not even that old, certainly only forties I reckon.
We are going in to collect children. The teacher actually blamed another teacher who has them on certain days despite the fact it happened mostly on their days.
I am not impressed that the children were told which parents had complained, surely that could cause issues with the kids?

There have been a variety of other issues relating to my own dc. I am not amused at all but we only have a few weeks to go. I will be compaining though.

Just to confirm no one thinks I am being petty or interfering?

""Tomorrow we will be talking about UNUSUAL families.....LittleGurnie, you probably have books about them at home" because we are gay parents!)"

shock

Just wondering finalcountdown did you mean to put your dc's name as Little - what I'm guessing is your usual NN?

Rhine Sat 03-May-14 16:24:56

This teacher sounds very unprofessional, she should not be taking it out on the children if parents complain. If nothing is done I'd consider complaining to OFSTED.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now