To want to work 2 days a week?

(6 Posts)
justgirl Sat 03-May-14 14:18:39

I don't think I am.

Myself and "D"P have 2DC. A DS - 4 (nearly 5) and DD - 3.

DS goes to school full time, DD attends preschool at the same school 2 full school days a week.

I reduced work down to part time when I had the children until I was made redundant due to my company ceasing to exist. Obviously at that time they were both in paid Childcare.

I have done odd jobs since, a bit of work for my PIL, bar work, and I make cakes, I have a "business" but obviously it's not exactly viable.

To set the background, I hate work, I always have and I want to be a SAHM, but now the kids are a bit older, we aren't exactly rolling in it, in fact were have a fair bit of debt, and I've been offered a job for 2 days a week (9-5:30) one of these days falls on a day when DD is not in preschool because it doesn't open in the afternoon of that particular day. I feel really unsupported. Am I selfish to ask for a bit of help from DP/PIL etc? My mum will pick them up from school on the day that they are both in and have them until I'm home, so I just need DD looking after for one day, and DS collected from school. Everybody is just being so negative about it and I feel so alone. Am
I ridiculous for wanting to take the job? (I had a trial day yesterday and actually really enjoyed it) just feel really sad. I thought earning an extra £4-500 a month would be something to support me in.

justgirl Sat 03-May-14 14:22:28

A bit more info - DP Works for PIL. The business is just the 3 of them. It's seasonal and flexible. DP usually works all weekend so usually has his days off during the week.

His parents are very hands on with the kids as are generally always happy to help out and the kids go there for the day/stay the night regularly. So it will be no different, other than that it's a set day and I have already said that say it's inconvenient every now and then, then I will look into alternatives for that week, as there isn't anybody else I would be able to ask permenantly but every now and then I could maybe swing it.

rubyslippers Sat 03-May-14 14:25:06

YANBU

If your DP is around in the week it's a no brainer isn't it?

Raskova Sat 03-May-14 14:26:21

It's not selfish to ask them at all.

The only thing is, could you get a similar job/wage that is less hassle to everyone? If so, I would but if you're in debt and receiving what sounds like a very good wage for two days work then I'd expect a bit of help

greenfolder Sat 03-May-14 14:31:31

just get a childminder. sorting out any sort of employment where you are dependent on others to voluntarily look after your kids is stressful. what are your plans for covering school holidays? if at the moment most of the time you need to cover only one dc, do it and pay for childcare. no doubt little one will soon be in school

janey68 Sat 03-May-14 14:42:18

What greenfolder says. Especially as you're only looking at one full day you'd need to pay a child minder, as your ds is in school, so you'll easily turn a good profit still.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now