to think door-to-door sales and canvassing should be illegal?

(36 Posts)
MardyBra Sat 03-May-14 10:18:06

Or opt in only?

Some fucker has just disturbed my lie-in.

And remonstrated with me for not wanting to hear his sales pitch to boot.

Blamenargles Sun 04-May-14 21:13:10

Pastaandcheese
I had exactly the same when DS was a baby, mid feed door went ignored it they knocked again. Then they came to window.
He then had to cheek to ask why I was so rude and why I was just sat there. I told him I was feeding my son and I wasn't able to get up.

He said he would come back I told him not to bother as I wouldn't be willing to have a conversation with someone that was so ride to people in their own home.

I hate them with a passion

HoVis2001 Sun 04-May-14 10:47:13

I think there's a world of difference between sales and canvassing, so I would say YANBU on the former but YABU about the latter. Salesmen are trying to make money; canvassers are usually volunteers seeking to either gather information or engage people in discussion about key issues. I have done canvassing and the first question is 'would you be willing to answer a few questions'. If they say no, you leave immediately.

The thing I really hate are the phone scams, especially the 'Microsoft technical support' one. I know enough to say that I have never provided MS with my phone details, but what about less tech-savvy (or elderly) people? I feel happy to at least talk to salesmen and be courteous, but I feel really upset by people who are just lying.

Nomama Sun 04-May-14 09:37:50

I've just moved, literally got the last of the furniture in yesterday, and have had a witless door knocker already.

He said he had notice the windows onto the road were not double glazed and that it must be noisy. The house is lovely, he said, if you let us use it in the brochures we could give you a good deal.

I laughed my socks off (well, would have if I had been wearing any). I asked him what made him think the house was lovely (please excuse the incidental stealth boast here). He replied that all the black and white houses in the area were gorgeous.

Yes, I said, and Listed.... door closed!

I have no issue with the telling them to fuck off no, it's the getting to the door that is a pita for me, just to find it's a waste of effort!

AiryFairyHairyAndScary Sun 04-May-14 09:29:34

I have noticed on this type of thread that sign do work in some areas but not in others.

I have had a sign for a year or so and it has worked 100%. I have seen people come to the door and then turn away when they see it. I guess its luck where you live.

HemlockStarglimmer Sun 04-May-14 09:23:44

I find it depends on the demeanour of the person knocking. Recently I had two different individuals knock on the door the within a couple of hours of each other.

The first one banged on the door and rang the bell. When I opened the door he remarked that I was still wearing my dressing gown and was I having a lazy day (I was ill). I was already on the defensive because of the banging and ringing together. I told him it was non of his business what I was wearing and that I didn't care what he wanted and shut the door in his face while he was still talking.

The second one just rang the bell. When I answered he apologised for disturbing me. Because he didn't make me feel intimidated I happily listened to what he had to say.

Salesman number two could teach salesman number one a lot about not pissing off potential customers.

(I didn't buy anything from the second chap but he went away happy because I was already using the service he was selling).

AliceDoesntLiveHereAnymore Sun 04-May-14 07:58:19

I have a sign. They still come to the door and knock. I've had the most ridiculous excuses when I point out the sign. Like "we're not SELLING, we're providing an OPPORTUNITY for you to purchase something" hmm or "we're selling for a charity, so it doesn't count" or my particular favourite "I can't read so I couldn't read your sign" - this from someone who was going door to door telling people he was a contractor working in the area, trying to drum up business. Yeah, right. hmm

For the most part, I ignore, but some of them persist in knocking and don't go away for ages. Maddening.

deakymom Sun 04-May-14 07:38:48

i put a sign up it was ignored then ripped off people who do that dont deserve manners

PeachTrees Sun 04-May-14 06:35:11

I have a sign and it worked up until the other day when a charity salesman rang the bell. I happily referred him to my sign and he said he 'didn't see it' even though it's situated right above the doorbell hmm He didn't get answers from my neighbors and could see me through my window and thought he'd try his look.

PastaandCheese Sun 04-May-14 06:22:31

YANBU. A few weeks ago I was breastfeeding my newborn in the living room when a fascia board seller knocked on the door.

I didn't answer and the cheeky fecker appeared at my living room window and proceeded to knock on that.

I had to get up with baby now crying and open the window and threaten to call the police before he would go.

angelos02 Sun 04-May-14 04:38:15

YANBU. Any sales phone calls, post and emails too. Should all be illegal too.

MardyBra Sun 04-May-14 01:08:08

"I don't even open the door. Just stand in the window, wave and smile then carry on with what I was doing (normally cooking dinner as they always come then). ".

Unfortunately the layout of my house means that I don't know who it is until I answer the door.

MardyBra Sun 04-May-14 00:52:36

"Get a sign for your door. I have one and no longer get any salesmen or canvassers. I got it for a few quid on Amazon."

I don't want a bloody sign. I have quite an elegant period front door which would be spoiled by putting a sign on it. I just want to be left in peace.

fridayfreedom Sat 03-May-14 22:35:26

Sure there was a sign outside my Mil house saying soft touch as we found tonnes of stuff bought at the door when we cleared her house after she died.

cheepsskram Sat 03-May-14 22:16:50

God yes. Last weekend, a guy from Zenith Windows knocked on the door and asked if I'd thought of getting my windows replaced. I said no. And the cheeky fucker replied "are you sure, there's a bit of damage there" (there bloody isn't).

I just said "no thank you" and shut the door but now I wish I'd really given him a mouthful!

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Sat 03-May-14 22:06:41

Ditto Winter. And no haven't got a spy hole, as we have semi obscured glass so the fuckers can see me. The vaguely threatening blokes with baskets got into my DM's secure flats a couple of years back. Police and all involved. Two days later they (or their associates) were caught round the back of the block trying to break in.

Andrewofgg Sat 03-May-14 21:53:03

Don't we all have spyholes in our doors?

TiaDalma Sat 03-May-14 21:49:28

This drives me insane! I'm in a so-called 'no cold calling area', still get salesmen knocking on the door. I always point out they are in fact in a no cold calling area, their response, 'oh, I'm not actually selling anything, just wanted to inform you of the brilliant deals we have on on double glazing ATM' riiiiight ... ODFOD!

wintertimeisfun Sat 03-May-14 21:29:59

i have a (sticker) sign but the bastards still knock.......

AiryFairyHairyAndScary Sat 03-May-14 21:08:01

Get a sign for your door. I have one and no longer get any salesmen or canvassers. I got it for a few quid on Amazon.

wowfudge Sat 03-May-14 20:52:19

Where do I sign? Yes, ban it. I always say that I never sign up for anything on the doorstep.

And I hate it when they knock on the door instead of using the bell. Knock on the door = dog barking like crazy. Doorbell = out of his hearing range so calm is preserved.

SunnyL Sat 03-May-14 20:39:46

My dad had a deaf salesman come round the door trying to sell cleaning products. My dad said no thank you but the man wouldn't take no for an answer and insisted on showing him the stuff. When he bent down my dad leaned forward and whispered in his ear 'I said no thank you'. The bloke stood up and asked why to which my dad answered because you're a conman and aren't deaf.

Turns out the local constabulary were very interested to know about this guy due to a number of old folk getting broken into.

wintertimeisfun Sat 03-May-14 20:24:58

i knew i shouldn't have opened the door yesterday evening, they always tend to knock on the door around 8pm. i did open it, it was one of those blokes holding a basket with REALLY expensive tea towels etc. i find them 'surface friendly' but intimidating. this time i didn't give in and buy anything as i can't afford it. i basically said i was skint and then shut the door whilst he nagged me to buy something. their stuff is REALLY expensive. i have read on here many times how it is some kind of a scam. i still feel sorry for them and think they are at least trying to earn a living but i really am skint at the moment and didn't want to fork out £10 for some j cloths....

EatDessertFirst Sat 03-May-14 20:08:41

I don't even open the door. Just stand in the window, wave and smile then carry on with what I was doing (normally cooking dinner as they always come then).

I had one even flip me the bird through my living room window because I wouldn't open the door!

It must be a soul-destroying job, having doors constantly slammed in your face. The ones that target the elderly and vunerable are leeches and should be made illegal.

Louise1956 Sat 03-May-14 19:48:28

If you don't want to buy what they are selling, just say no.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now