To wonder why 'have a spa day' is touted as the solution to so many problems on here?

(99 Posts)
teaandthorazine Sat 03-May-14 09:07:26

Husband run off with his secretary, leaving you with three kids under 6 and no job? Have a spa day. Maybe get your hair cut too.

Thinking of running off with your secretary? Take some time out to think about it, have a spa day.

Boiler broken and flooded the kitchen? Awwwww, have a spa day. Not in your kitchen though.

Lost your job, got kids to support? Get yourself a massage, sweetie. Preferably in a spa.

Boyfriend stumbled in a 4am and pissed in the wardrobe? Selfish bastard, you show him who's boss. By having a spa day.

This advice appears over and over again on MN. It irritates the fuck out of me for some reason.

Has anyone ever, genuinely, found having a spa day helped them with their life issues in anyway whatsoever?

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Sat 03-May-14 09:11:18

Does it?

I've only ever heard 'Spa Day' said with extreme sarcasm, never as an actual solution.

confused

cake and wine or brew are the solutions to one's problems. Not sitting in steam. I'm pretty sure every MNer knows that.

Do we even have spas in the UK? I thought they were an American thing like baby showers.

AwfulMaureen Sat 03-May-14 09:11:27

YANBU if anyone suggested that to me I'd laugh!

AnotherFurry Sat 03-May-14 09:12:40

You don't need to go to a spa to have a spa day. It is meant as have a day where you are focused on you and you alone so yabu.

WhoNickedMyName Sat 03-May-14 09:13:05

Irritates the fuck out of you... Really?

I think you need to chill out a bit. Maybe try a spa day grin.

WhistleTopTomato Sat 03-May-14 09:13:48

YANBU!

MsVestibule Sat 03-May-14 09:14:19

Another one.

Problem: My DH does nothing round the house or spend any time whatsoever with the DCs. I'm fed up with him, and for being responsible for everything, as well as working 16 hours a day.

Answer: Get a cleaner.

whereisthewitch Sat 03-May-14 09:14:28

I have seen this elsewhere but never on MN it's usually have some gin

Chocotrekkie Sat 03-May-14 09:15:12

I think its because it's adult only and so leave the kids with useless oh and get a day for yourself to recharge and he will then realise how wonderful you are.

teaandthorazine Sat 03-May-14 09:15:40

Good idea whonicked grin

thebodylovesspring Sat 03-May-14 09:16:51

Calm down dear! Have a spa day and leave the cleaner to it.

teaandthorazine Sat 03-May-14 09:17:14

chocotrekkie - but that's the point, does anyone seriously think that will work? It's pretty shit advice really isn't it?

What irks me is the idea that people have the readily available money to spare for said spa day.

I've never been to a Spa but I imagine it's not cheap.

TaliZorahVasNormandy Sat 03-May-14 09:18:14

and have some gin while your at it.

Lilaclily Sat 03-May-14 09:18:27

Oh usually on mumsnet no matter what the problem is or what time of time it is people are always advised to open the wine

'my dh drinks too much & sleeps around'
'don't worry it's nearly wine o'clock ' at 9am

Trooperslane Sat 03-May-14 09:19:07

Guess where I'm going today?

And it sounds like your Bangor Reserves are shot, op.

Dr Trooper prescribes a spa day for you

<twirls>

MsVestibule Sat 03-May-14 09:19:44

I've seen it quite a few times. Normally when an OP is complaining that their DP is taking them for granted and behaving as though he's still single. It's normally along the lines of "Leave him for a day/weekend with the DCs while you take yourself off and have some 'you' time". It's normally meant well, but can't imagine it's terribly helpful.

Lilaclily Sat 03-May-14 09:19:52

Tali - crossed posts grin
[cheers]

nannynoss Sat 03-May-14 09:20:13

WhoNickedMyName grin

Some of my mummy friends and I go for a spa weekend, every 6 months or so. It absolutely does solve all our problems! until we walk out and are back to reality

WhistleTopTomato Sat 03-May-14 09:20:47

'my dh drinks too much & sleeps around'
'don't worry it's nearly wine o'clock ' at 9am

grin

KeepOnKeepingOnAndOnAndOnAndOn Sat 03-May-14 09:20:54

I had a spa day and it irritated the life outta me!

BillyBanter Sat 03-May-14 09:20:58

I have never seen this advice on here.

No one can fix 'husband ran off with the plumber'.

A spa (for some people) is a relaxing treat, like a cup of tea. It's just part of the advice to 'be kind to yourself'. I'm worth doing something nice for myself, instead of sitting around doing nothing feeling worthless.

TaliZorahVasNormandy Sat 03-May-14 09:21:02

wine Lilac grin

<Although I cant drink wine, I'm allergic to it>

meditrina Sat 03-May-14 09:22:28

I've never seen that advice in the the sort of circumstances OP describes.

I have seen it as an example of what someone could do if the actual advice is 'you need some time away from it all'. Which is unlikely advice for someone who has just discovered her H has been betraying her.

This is so very unlike the MN I read, I wonder if the OP has ever looked at Relationships threads (or just hangs out in AIBU, where people have been posting all sorts of stuff especially in the last couple of weeks).

TaliZorahVasNormandy Sat 03-May-14 09:22:47

My idea of a relaxing day is lots of chocolate, PS3 (PS4) Mass Effect trilogy and pretending I'm shooting people who have pissed me off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now