AIBU to stop dd doing to this?

(73 Posts)
PickledPineapple Fri 02-May-14 20:18:38

Dd has been invited to go on a helicopter ride tomorrow morning, with a friend who she was scheduled to see later in the day.

gran has just had a stroke and is returning from hospital tonight. Dd knew that her visit to the friend would have to fit in with visiting gran, dd absolutely fine with this as she loves her gran and wants to visit.

Then we got the text from her friend about the helicopter... I am massively anxious about small aircraft of any type and would hate a family member to go up in one!

I know that I shouldn't let anxiety lead my dd to missing out on things, but AIBU on this occasion to say that she is only free later in the day? This is the truth, but I feel guilty that it's quite convenient that we are busy, as I don't want her to go.

AIBU?

Coldlightofday Fri 02-May-14 20:20:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PickledPineapple Fri 02-May-14 20:22:20

PaperPomPom Fri 02-May-14 20:23:27

Is it actually inconvenient?

PickledPineapple Fri 02-May-14 20:24:43

Yes. she would miss dance class and the visit to gran.

AnythingNotEverything Fri 02-May-14 20:25:14

Only you know whether it's actually inconvenient.

AnythingNotEverything Fri 02-May-14 20:25:43

... Sorry, and therefore whether you're being unreasonable. I can't help you.

ChazzerChaser Fri 02-May-14 20:26:50

Pickled , I'd do what you want to for much the same reasons. I can see it's problematic, but it's the truth.

gamerchick Fri 02-May-14 20:27:47

Why in earth would you put a block on something as exciting as a helicopter ride? Seriously.

PaperPomPom Fri 02-May-14 20:28:04

What Anything said - it either is or isn't inconvenient.

If you're asking whether or not you could use Gran as an excuse as you don't like it then YABU - it's pretty irrational.

PickledPineapple Fri 02-May-14 20:28:17

Gamer, did you read my OP?

thebodydoestricks Fri 02-May-14 20:29:18

Oh feel for you op. I fight daily with my anxieties over my dcs. Difficult one. Your call. X

PickledPineapple Fri 02-May-14 20:30:40

Not using gran as an excuse- it's genuine. It doesn't seem right to day to gran that dd couldn't come as she had a last minute invitation...but equally, some people obviously see it as an amazing opportunity. So...it's a genuine dilemma.

gamerchick Fri 02-May-14 20:30:57

Yes I did and if you want to stop your child having what would probably be a one off and something she'll talk about for ages.. at least have the guts not to use an excuse because you don't want her to go for your own personal reasons.

Own your shit.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Fri 02-May-14 20:30:57

A helicopter ride is much more exciting to a twelve year old than a dance class or a visit to a poorly relative.

YABU.

Coldlightofday Fri 02-May-14 20:31:27

TenMinutesEarly Fri 02-May-14 20:31:32

let her go, take her to gran on sunday

PickledPineapple Fri 02-May-14 20:31:34

Thanks body smile
I'm usually ok but I just hate small air craft!

IamInvisible Fri 02-May-14 20:32:27

If there was anyway that I could get her there I would let her go.

My DC (now 17&19) went up in a Chinook helicopter when they were younger, it is still up there with one of the most exciting things they have done.

Coldlightofday Fri 02-May-14 20:32:38

Wantsunshine Fri 02-May-14 20:33:11

Please don't let your DD miss out on this. Could she see her Gran on Sunday. It would cheer her Gran up to hear about her exciting day

QuizzicalCat Fri 02-May-14 20:33:43

I think it would be very unreasonable to allow YOUR fears to hold your daughter back.

This chance is unlikely to come again any time soon, but dance class will be there next week. Couldn't you see gran later or earlier (or again on Sunday)?

She's far safer in a helicopter than in a car.

What does your dd want to do?

Quoteunquote Fri 02-May-14 20:34:56

Nope, helicopter rides are special, gran will not miss her for the few hours it takes,

So be happy for her, and use the free time to concentrate on grandma, it will be something to talk about as a distraction, just look for the good.

PickledPineapple Fri 02-May-14 20:35:51

Cold, it's both. It's not a lie. We can't go to gran realistically on Sunday too, as it's quite a drive. And gran us expecting us tomorrow.

Let's remove the anxiety from the equation. Let's suppose I love helicopters. Should she not see gran cos she's had a better offer? Is that right? I'm not 'not owning my shit'...it's a genuine dilemma, honestly smile

IamInvisible Fri 02-May-14 20:38:04

If my DC were offered this chance, none of their grandparents would expect them to turn it down in favour of visiting them. It's not like she is not going to see her Gran over a trip to Primark!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now