AIBU to withdraw DD from SATS?

(36 Posts)
ProtegeMoi Fri 02-May-14 17:02:50

Ok I'm not really going to do it but I'm so tempted to threaten the school with it. The pressure they are putting on them is unbelievable!

DD has a dentist appointment the week before SATS, urgent appointment as she is in agony with a tooth that needs filling and her teacher is fuming that she will be off and wants the appointment changed for 2 weeks later. So leave her in pain for 2 more weeks as she will miss a day of SATS revision, not even the actual test!

DD has also come home in tears as she's 'not allowed' to her sisters birthday party, which is the Saturday before SATS begin. Her teacher has said they are to do nothing at all that weekend as they need to revise and so now DD is upset as that includes a 2 years old party apparantly!

It's beyond a joke, my DD has been left terrified to do anything other than SATS work and the pressure is really getting to her. They have been threatened with police for time off even!

I'm going to go in in Monday and speak to them.

cardibach Fri 02-May-14 18:17:50

WHy wouldn't you? SATs do nothing for your child, it's all about the school's results. I would alos complain in writing to the Head and CHair of Governors, particularly about the ridiculous revision thing. I am a teacher, buy the way.

Pheonixisrising Fri 02-May-14 18:32:00

totally OTT

I agree with caribach it's only to do with the schools result

bugger them

AmpersandRea Fri 02-May-14 18:55:25

We've been told that we have to send our children in to school even if they are vomiting. I hate SATs.

LynetteScavo Fri 02-May-14 19:04:03

I could go into various expamples if ds2 being pushed too much, but am on phone so won't. I will be speaking to school on Tuesday and saying if they want to get the best from ds they need to back off now. Pushing him further will not help, and will be detrimental.

LynetteScavo Fri 02-May-14 19:06:17

I suspect ds will get migraine if he's pushed to much. He tends to throw up if he gets a migraine. Im wondering what happens when a child throws up on a paper.

smartypants1000 Fri 02-May-14 19:09:47

It's awful to do this to young children, and so unnecessary. I would complain to the school.

YWNBU to withdraw her from SAT's but unfortunately I don't think parents have that right any more :-( I would definitely withdraw my children if I could. I've heard that if you keep them off on the day, they do them when they return to school.

shebird Fri 02-May-14 19:16:29

I would have a talk to the school and explain your concerns about the excessive pressure and use of threats. The health of your DD has to come first and if she needs dental treatment then so be it. If she is already in agony then she is probably struggling with study. Surely it would be worse to delay treatment and risk her missing exams. This teacher needs a reality check.

Leeds2 Fri 02-May-14 19:17:05

I would certainly complain.

And am astounded that they seem to think a child with raging toothache will perform to the best of her ability!

Nanny0gg Fri 02-May-14 19:21:22

Idiots.

They cannot tell the children what to do or not do outside of school hours so if they want to party all weekend they should.

No secondary takes any notice of Year 6 SATs once they get the children assessed with their own tests.
And no employer ever asks a prospective employee how they did in their SATs.

Complain to the CoG and the HT.

Eebahgum Fri 02-May-14 19:23:25

I'm a teacher. When I began teaching I hated that children were made to do sats in year 2 and 6. A few years later we started doing them every year in between. Now we do them 3 times a year, with more pressure and revision than I did for my gcses. I'm leaving. I dream of opening my own sats-free school where children can learn stuff that is interesting and exciting; and I can nurture talents such as art, music and sport. Unfortunately I don't think Mr Gove would like my idea.

SuffolkNWhat Fri 02-May-14 19:26:07

I wish all parents would do this then maybe we can get the bloody things scrapped once and for all.

Yes I am a teacher.

DrizzlyTuesday Fri 02-May-14 19:27:16

YANBU. Sats should be scrapped in yr2 and yr6 as they were in yr9.

stillenacht1 Fri 02-May-14 19:28:25

Nice one Gove hmmhmm

morethanpotatoprints Fri 02-May-14 19:33:07

My dd has caused a revolt at her old school. She would be y5 now, but is H.ed. We collect a friend once a week to play and y6 are so stressed out its unbelievable. Being a small school they know and remember dd and always ask her questions.
The topic of SATS came up and when dd said she didn't have to do them, there was an uproar, with several dc informing their parents they were going to be H.ed so they didn't have to do them.
When are they, I don't want her getting a reputation for causing trouble. I could do with avoiding a lot of parents too. grin

Willabywallaby Fri 02-May-14 19:35:07

Ours do SATS every year from yr2, but I've told DS just do the best he can on the day, I'm hoping because they do them every year it reduces the importance of them in his eyes.

Eebahgum Fri 02-May-14 19:38:18

The week after next morethan.

callamia Fri 02-May-14 19:43:31

Eebahgum, I dream of subverting the free school system as you suggest. My child would go on the waiting list for your school right now.

Protege, you are not being unreasonable. I hate SATS and I applaud schools that have boycotted them. DO bring this bullying and hectoring to the attention of the governors. Do other parents feel similar? Such stress is miserable and it makes me so furious.

morethanpotatoprints Fri 02-May-14 19:43:32

Thanks Eebahgum

I personally don't see the problem with SATS in general. My 22 and 19 year old both did them, I'm sure they did them y9 as well.
There was no pressure at all and neither parent or child were told when they were doing them.
I remember ds1 coming home in y6 telling me he had answered questions in a booklet and they weren't allowed to talk.
Ds2 KS1 one parent went into the office to ask when they would be doing them and was told "Oh, we did SATS last week".
There was no big deal, back then.
We all had the same tests at school too from what I remember.
The end of infants, end of juniors and end of y3 secondary, also with little or no pressure.

Migsy1 Fri 02-May-14 19:48:13

YANBU - I've told my DS that he doesn't have to go to school on those days if he doesn't want to. It is ridiculous what pressure the school puts on children over them.

ThePinkOcelot Fri 02-May-14 19:51:33

I think they are going way over the top. Dd1 did them a couple years ago and whilst they did revise there certainly wasn't this pressure. They certainly weren't told they couldn't enjoy themselves at the weekend.

Mrsjayy Fri 02-May-14 19:52:01

NO SATS in scotland so i think it is ridiculous testing young children and put them under pressure yes scottish children are tested but not at specific ages like the sats as far as i can remember they did them when they were ready not when age dictated ,

Sukebind Fri 02-May-14 19:53:41

Is your DD in yr 6, OP? Sorry if you said and I'be missed it. My DD is heading for yr 2 sats.

Migsy1 Fri 02-May-14 19:55:21

My take on SATS is that the teachers are very scared of not getting the right results and therefore transfer their stress onto the children. Bad bad bad.

teacherwith2kids Fri 02-May-14 19:56:16

DD (Y6, 'outstanding' state school) is only in school for a day and a half next week.

School has cheerfully authorised 2 days off school to compete in her main extra-curricular activity (I offered not to enter her in the competition, but the school smiled, laughed and wished her good luck). And they thermselves are taking about half the Y6s to a local theatre for half a day to perform in a festival of school dance.

So glad her school has this kind of relaxed attitude - and interesting to note how well it performs against schools with similar intakes but more pressured approaches.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now