to wonder why people look down on adult Disney fans?

(182 Posts)
fridgepants Thu 01-May-14 15:29:48

I am not one, and have no desire to get a Tinker Bell tattoo or go on the Disney cruise. Yet I get the impression people here see it as a bit creepy or common - why?

Cereal0ffender Thu 01-May-14 15:30:23

Cos it is a bit creepy and common

schokolade Thu 01-May-14 15:31:20

What exactly is creepy about it then cereal?

I'm with you fridgepants.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Thu 01-May-14 15:33:33

I guess because, it's for children.

Don't get me wrong, I love some of the Disney films, especially the old ones like Jungle book, they're classics. But I really don't understand adults who wear Disney clothes or go to Disneyland as adults.

I went to eurodisney as a teenager, after three days I was as bored as hell.

If I went now it would be for DS, not me.

Pagwatch Thu 01-May-14 15:33:49

I like lots of things that are common so I won't hold that against it.
But its a bit creepy and childish in regular adults.

My son has a huge selection of Disney toys and still goes to Disney films so we do look very sad indeed. Fortunately I don't give a shit grin

Tinkerball Thu 01-May-14 15:35:25

I think some people just think everyone should think the same as them really, and what they think is fact, which is a bit arrogant isn't it - so because they think it's something to look down it is....when it's not really, it's just people liking something.

Bifauxnen Thu 01-May-14 15:35:25

Because studio ghibli's far superior.

curiousgeorgie Thu 01-May-14 15:35:33

I'm an adult and I love Disney...

(I do have a fairy tattoo but it is not tinkerbell and it is the biggest regret of my life and most people wouldn't even know if was there...blush)

There's something very magical about it. I adore the films. I have fantastic memories of holidays to Florida & Paris as a child, teenager, childless adult & now parent.

Each to their own, but I like it grin taking my DD's in 5 months and I think I'm more excited than they are...

HoldOnHoldOnSoldier Thu 01-May-14 15:36:48

It is just strange imo.

Disney is for kids, I have no problem watching Disney films with the dc, They are very good but I would not watch them alone.

A grown man or woman wearing Disney clothing or Tattoos etc is no different in my eyes to them wearing postman pat, barbie or fireman sam.

Its just weird smile

Tinkerball Thu 01-May-14 15:36:54

And what do people mean by "creepy" anyway ?

Cereal0ffender Thu 01-May-14 15:37:54

I was being glib about the common bit but kidults are a wee bit creepy. Dh worked with a woman who had half sized replicas of the 7 dwarves in her living room and regularly visited Disneyland. Creepy as hell IMO but There is no law against it.

Ijustwanttocryallthetime Thu 01-May-14 15:38:34

Because they represent an infantilised, conformist worldview. Adults should be able to appreciate and value cinema that deals with the complexities and ambiguities of life.

curiousgeorgie Thu 01-May-14 15:39:22

There's a huge difference on the creepy scale between an adult who enjoys Disney theme parks and one who has life sized dwarves in her living room shock

Canus Thu 01-May-14 15:39:38

Probably because the fans tend to go for the sickly sweet Tinkerbell, Dumbo, mermaids etc. There is no underlying depth to the genre which could be admired. Just a bunch of bastardised fairy tales. Often the Disney-tattified ones are oblivious to any of the original stories/myths.

And the type of person described in the OP often likes to simper on about how they are so childlike, and cute, and simple. In actual fact they are often a bit thick, and hard faced.

It doesn't really have the geeky-cool cachet of Lego, or Minecraft, or other things which loads of grown ups and children love.

WilsonFrickett Thu 01-May-14 15:40:47

I hate cultural snobbishness, and that's exactly what it is. People are snobby about adults liking Disney, yet there's a thread roaring away at the moment (which I am enthusiastically participating in) about whether you'd rather go to Mallory Towers or the Chalet School. You like what you like.

Disney is at least well-written, well-crafted and often incredibly innovative with the techniques it uses. Does it float my boat? Not particularly, but that doesn't mean it's bad. Or creepy. Or common.

Pagwatch Thu 01-May-14 15:40:54

Because its child like I suppose.
It's incredibly twee and it sits uncomfortably (for me) with grown women.

I love lots of the films and Disneyland but I wouldn't wear a Disney t-shirt because it's too close to the princess costume and plastic high heels.

fridgepants Thu 01-May-14 15:40:59

i went when I was 17, as I was invited along with then DB when his mum was on a business trip. (We mostly got dropped off in malls, as she was always busy working.) I was both too young and too old at that age - I might enjoy it more as a kitsch spectacle now. (I went to the Miffy museum on my own as an adult, just because I really liked the character as a child.)

I'd get it more if people objected on racist/anti-Semitic grounds, but relatively few are aware of the controversy surrounding that. Or Disney Princesses, which were less of a thing when I was a kid.

EyelinerQueen Thu 01-May-14 15:41:43

I think it's pathetic.

I vaguely know a couple who are child free and Disney obsessed. They come across as simpleminded loons.

Their endless and thoroughly nauseating Disney slabber on FB was one of the main contributing factors in my de-regging from the site.

Stop acting like an 8 year old, grow up and join the real frigging world with the rest of us.

Pagwatch Thu 01-May-14 15:41:43

I'd love a life sized set of the dwarves grin

WilsonFrickett Thu 01-May-14 15:43:04

x-post with Canus
And I take the point about depth. But surely liking Disney doesn't mean you're not allowed to like anything else? I would probably be a bit hmm round anyone who only liked one thing ever.

lylasmam2012 Thu 01-May-14 15:44:12

I'm an adult and love Disney too, I am currently wearing mickey mouse vans and have a cheshire cat hoody at home - both of which I bought while in Disneyland Paris with my husband for my 30th birthday without my 18 month old daughter. I also love theme parks in general and am a self confessed roller coaster junkie!

In saying that I did find Disney World Orlando very boring and spent most of our time there in Universal Studios.

manicinsomniac Thu 01-May-14 15:44:16

some people here seem to look down on people who let their children like Disney too!

I don't think adults enjoying Disney theme parks and films is weird. I've been on a day trip to Euro Disney as an adult without the children and quite enjoyed it (in the same way as I would have a reasonably good day at any theme park) I have very fond memories of the films and still quite enjoy one.

I wouldn't wear Disney clothing or have memorabilia etc but I don't see anything so terrible about it.

Life sized dwarves though ...

Trazzletoes Thu 01-May-14 15:44:32

Meh. I love Disney. Don't have any Disney clothes or tattoos though. And I am able to value and appreciate cinema that deals with the complexities and ambiguities of life, thanks. I just also happen to like Disney films... Theme parks...

I don't think I'm creepy...

Nocomet Thu 01-May-14 15:44:48

Disney clothes other than PJs would be a bit odd.

Watching the films as a pick-me-up, why not. A discrete tatto or a tinkerbell necklace. I don't see a problem, if it makes the owner happy.

As for Disneyland, many off us couldn't have dreamt of affirding to go as children and adults are allowed on the rides so there.

Cereal0ffender Thu 01-May-14 15:45:00

I also find all role playing and Marshall arts enthusiasts creepy but that is just me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now