To be worried about DD, or am I being pfb?

(26 Posts)
CrohnicallyHungry Thu 01-May-14 14:57:14

She's 18 months and has her first sickness bug. Started puking at 7pm last night and has barely stopped since. Every time I give her anything, even 2ml of water out a syringe, she is sick. Spoke to drs, they had no appointments and said ring back at 2pm. Spoke to NHS 111 and they said she'd be fine to wait to see the doctor and in the meantime, no food or drink. Now I can't get through to doctors at all, it's permanently engaged. DD is asleep and wakes only to retch (nothing left for her to bring up) and cry and then goes back to sleep. She's had 2 extremely loose nappies since the sickness started.

I know sickness bugs are a normal part of childhood, but it's really not like her to be this sleepy, and I'm worried she'll be dehydrated. My gut says it's not A and E time yet, but how long should I give it?

WyrdByrd Thu 01-May-14 15:15:16

I'm not sure I'd give it much longer TBH.

It probably is just a nasty bug but if she can't even keep a couple of mls of water down she is in danger of dehydrating which is not good for a young child.

I'd be inclined too go to a drop in clinic if you have one nearby or A & E as soon as possible, and certainly don't leave it overnight if she's still not taking fluids.

Hope she's on the mend soon.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Thu 01-May-14 15:16:02

Is she rousable? Is she still having wet nappies? Are her eyes sunken and skin dry? Is she floppy? These are all signs of dehydration. Can you get some dioralyte from either the chemist or GP, it replaces everything you are losing. To be honest my concern would be that she doesn't seem to be keeping anything down at all and would be dehydrated, in which case she would need looking at.

DS has had several D&V bugs lasting a week, and all they did was give us dioralyte.

DeWee Thu 01-May-14 15:25:07

How often is she being sick?

Dd2 was sick every 5 minutes on a train (lovely!) between Coventry and Leeds at that age. She was very weak on arriving-couldn't even sit up. Slept all the next day, then was fine the day after.

Ds I took to the GP with a sickness bug as he was on antibiotics after a minor op (GP asked to see-I phoned first). He'd only been sick about 5 or 6 times, but then fell asleep on the Gps floor, and the GP told me to take him straight to hospital, upon saying I had to go home to fetch the car (less than 5 minutes away) he said he'd phone an ambulance shock This is an unflappable GP who is usually totally laid back.

dingit Thu 01-May-14 15:28:46

Just trust your instincts. Ds ended up in hospital on a drip, and I got sent away by my GP and A&e. I just knew he was bad and persisted. Hope she's better soon.

Bagofbags Thu 01-May-14 15:34:56

I'm a bit alarmed that NHS 111 told you not to give her anything to drink. I wouldn't worry about food but if she's being sick she needs fluids. Has she got a high temperature?
Have you got through to your gp yet?
I would also be thinking of a and e now, if you can't get through.

I'm surprised too that 111 said no drink
Is she getting wet nappies?
111 told me to ring an ambulance when he had no wet nappies

Is she is overly sleepy no wet nappies id be at a+e
Hope she's better soon

YussMinister Thu 01-May-14 15:38:59

You should be trying to get liquid into her, can't believe they'd tell you to risk dehydration, awful advice! Keep trying GP otherwise find nearest drop in or even A&E, better now than overnight. Trust your instincts.

CrohnicallyHungry Thu 01-May-14 15:39:12

DH is on his way with dioralyte as I type. If she can't keep even that down we'll go to hospital. She is awake now though listless and whingy and cries if I'm not constantly cuddling her. I put her in the bath which usually she loves, but she just whimpered to come out. She's not being sick all that often now, maybe twice in the last 4 hours, but I've not been giving her anything at all like 111 said. I think her stomach is empty. Though she asked for a drink so I've given her another 2ml.

CrohnicallyHungry Thu 01-May-14 15:41:46

X posts with a few. I just changed her nappy so I can see if she's weeing at all. It was wet before but very strong wee. I don't know about the amount because she's usually in cloth.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Thu 01-May-14 15:42:06

I think that's terrible advice from 111. Trying little and often, with a syringe is a really good way of doing it.

Yes continue with fluids even if she is bringing them back up.
Ds1 had a sickness bug at a little younger all we got was dioralyte and told to give him flat lemonade to get some empty calories into him.

Ds2 is just over d&v he's 3 and like your dd did nothing but sleep for a good 48 hours only waking to d or v. He also got dioralyte and it took a good week or so for his appetite to return.

smartypants1000 Thu 01-May-14 15:43:42

I'm surprised by the "no fluids" advice too - it sounds very dangerous to me. The usual advice is not to restrict fluids, as even if they are sick they will be taking some fluid in.

WilsonFrickett Thu 01-May-14 15:45:54

That is terrible advice from 111! shock

A little and often with water/clear fluids/diarolyte is essential.

If you are really worried, do you have a local children's hospital? If so call - ours don't have a walk-in but are super-helpful over the phone.

Ruushii Thu 01-May-14 15:46:05

Definitely keep trying with liquid. My dd was like this a few weeks ago and couldn't keep anything down, food, water or dioralite (sp?). She wasn't herself at all and like your dd hated her bath. It didn't feel right so we took her to the out of hours on the second day of it and she had to be admitted into hospital for rehydration with a drip.

Trust your instincts I think. The worst that could happen getting her seen is that she doesn't need any extra help and perks up or something.

CrohnicallyHungry Thu 01-May-14 15:47:34

Finally got through to GP- no appointments left, because 2 drs are off. So we'll be off to the walk in once DH gets here. How much are you betting that DD makes a miraculous recovery between now and actually seeing a dr like the last time we ended up at the walk in with her?

TinyTear Thu 01-May-14 15:48:43

i took my DD to A&E at about 14months with a stomach bug

they made us to the 'dyoralite challenge' - 5ml every 10 minutes for a couple of hours and when she kept a few in and had weed we could go...

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 01-May-14 15:50:07

Take her into A&E. She's too little to take chances. An adult would probably be fine but she's only 18 months.

Gurnie Thu 01-May-14 15:52:50

Hope she perks up OP. You're not being pfb, it's really horrible when they are so poorly like that. If in doubt seek help, absolutely, do not feel embarrassed about it if she does seem better. The Dr will hopefully tell you what to look out for in the next day or so. Take care.

CrohnicallyHungry Thu 01-May-14 20:48:11

Update: took her to walk in centre, by the time we got there she had developed a fever, and hadn't weed for at least 4 hours, though had stopped being sick and managed to keep down 2x5ml of dioralyte (and of course was looking perkier than she had been all day). They ruled out anything more serious and said it's probably viral gastroenteritis, rotavirus or similar. They gave her calpol for the fever and said keep giving her fluids and a bit of food if she wants to eat, and a fact sheet telling us what to look out for and when we would need to come back in. And now I'm off to bed because I didn't get much sleep last night!

Gurnie Thu 01-May-14 20:55:11

So glad you took her, got her checked over and they gave you the info you need. Hope you have a decent night, all of you!

Hellokittycat Thu 01-May-14 21:02:41

Keep an eye on her fluid intake and check she is weeing. If you're worried then take her to a&e.
I had similar with dd at age 2, she hadn't weed for hours and couldn't keep water down. 111 told me to take her to gp any time in the next 48 hours would be fine hmm
I felt worried so took her to a&e. They tried dioralite in a syringe which she couldn't keep down and she was dehydrated so ended up being admitted and put on an iv drip. I'm pretty cross at the casual attitude of 111 to this situation with young children!!

WilsonFrickett Thu 01-May-14 21:53:55

I'm glad you took her in and hope she feels better soon. Did you specifically tell them about the 111 advice not to give fluids, because I'm quite concerned that they're giving that advice out?

deakymom Thu 01-May-14 21:59:08

jelly sugar water ice lollies and stuff you wouldn't generally give her xx (i gave mine slush puppy when he was dehydrated with a high temp it worked!)

CrohnicallyHungry Fri 02-May-14 06:31:59

Another update- forgot to say last night she drank a bit more dioralyte and had a breastfeed before bed and had done a small wee when I put her to bed. She had a good night, breastfed when my DH came to bed and slept through till 5:30 when she woke with a dirty (and wet! Yay!) nappy. So I cleaned her up, breastfed her again and put her down for a bit longer. She kept all the milk down except for a small amount at 10:30 (more of a wet burp/reflux than a true vomit though). So at least she's had some form of nutrition!

wilson no I didn't, do you know if there is any way I can report/complain about it now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now