To eat meat every day?

(136 Posts)
Nottalotta Thu 01-May-14 13:58:47

And ask you for easy alternatives?

Theres just me and DH. I would happily go without meat most days but he prefers meat. Not that he would dare complain....

We do have fish once a week, and omlette once a week but that sometimes has ham or bacon in it.

I do all the cooking and am late home weekdays so tend to go for grilled meat with new potatos and veg as its quick and easy. Or chilli/bolognaise

Any suggestions?

Rainbunny Sat 03-May-14 21:07:28

About Quorn - I've never had any digestive issues from eating it (first time to hear that actually). As a meat substitute it's probably cheaper than meat but I think it's really expensive for a meat substitute (compared to soy based products, which aren''t as good for you).

I admit it doesn't fool me but it comes pretty close to a chicken-like taste. I only use it in strong flavoured dishes like curries & Thai dishes anyway.

GarlicMaybeNot Fri 02-May-14 23:54:27

I know it does. Fortunately I live in Europe, which is still fertile and liberally supplied with large tracts of well-watered, well-drained, uninhabited space. If I were an African subsistence farmer I'm sure I'd be eating a lot less meat. Have you looked into the effects your legumes, beans, wheat, rice, corn & quinoa are having on the farmer communities?

itsbetterthanabox Fri 02-May-14 22:45:15

Garlic meat farming takes up so much land and energy. Much, much more than any vegetable, grain, fruit or pulse. It needs space to graze/live, huge amount of water and somewhere to put all the faeces.
Plant food has to be eaten to live but eating animals is not necessary and cause far, far more damage.

gamerchick Fri 02-May-14 22:04:32

I've no idea garlic I don't know you.. I do know that people are surprised at what a proper portion size is usually. What size are your portions?

GarlicMaybeNot Fri 02-May-14 22:01:18

Dunno what size portions you think I'm eating, Gamer! I'm very inactive, I don't overeat.

GarlicMaybeNot Fri 02-May-14 22:00:08

Yes, box, but unfortunately 'Western' people eating anything exacerbates food poverty in the supplier countries. Have you looked into the effects your legumes, beans, wheat, rice, corn & quinoa are having on the farmer communities?

gamerchick Fri 02-May-14 21:58:00

I suppose.. but remember a portion of meat is something like the palm of the hand.. there doesn't need to be loads of meat per serving but tbh the meals I make seem to be more meat than anything else but if you strip the chicken properly there's a big pile of it.

GarlicMaybeNot Fri 02-May-14 21:57:35

(Although chicken is beige anyway, dammit)

itsbetterthanabox Fri 02-May-14 21:56:32

There's a big problem with eating meat everyday. It's a huge contributing factor to hunger in the third world that the west eats so much meat. In turn it is terrible for the environment. It is also not needed for your body and it is cruel and unnecessary killing.

GarlicMaybeNot Fri 02-May-14 21:56:24

Actually I should budget for the big chickens instead. They give more meat, proportionally, so maybe a couple of non-beige meals for the freezer smile Thanks, thread!

Nottalotta Fri 02-May-14 21:53:52

Well that makes me feel better garlic

So gamer you get 8 servings plus stock? Assuming there are two boys. I need to stop giving DH so much chicken....

itsbetterthanabox Fri 02-May-14 21:53:39

Switch to meat replacements like quorn.

gamerchick Fri 02-May-14 21:49:03

I get the big aldi chickens (although they don't behave like free range IMO.. the legs come off too easy after cooking).. I get usually a roast dinner for 4, a chicken curry for me and the husband, a sweet and sour chicken for the boys or mild curry and the stock for whatever. You can get a lot of chicken off one of those things and it goes far.

GarlicMaybeNot Fri 02-May-14 21:46:21

No, just me - and the cat gets lucky grin I generally do make stock from the carcass, but have eased up on that as my freezer was filling up with beige stew wink

gamerchick Fri 02-May-14 21:45:22

It's worth a try definitely.. I did, I wanted to bulk out the meat with something else but that isn't the answer for us grin Maybe just use half and half to see what happens first perhaps?

Nottalotta Fri 02-May-14 21:43:56

How garlic?? Seriously, its the stuff of MN folklore these everlasting chickens. I buy a free range from Aldo. Its quite big. It does do 5 meals but i mean 5 single meals. I assume you mean 4 meals for more than one person?!

Admittedly i could boil the carcass etc but i don't.

GarlicMaybeNot Fri 02-May-14 21:39:58

I don't know, Notta. I recall the rule of thumb for a joint was 1lb per person on the bone, and more if you wanted leftovers - which you did; we were hard up and did all the economy stuff. For two adults and two children, then, you'd buy 3kg to have enough left for sarnies & pies, etc. I don't think that quantity implies paper-thin slivers or anything!

It's all changed. As others have said, the meat itself seems to be more watery unless you get lucky. Also, 'cheap cuts', don't make me larf! A few weeks ago I got the urge to do some traditional English peasant cookery, and went to the butcher for scrag end of lamb - supermarkets don't sell that kind of thing, at least not here. I asked him for his smallest useable piece: can't remember what it weighed, but it was pretty small and cost £6.50!!!! The fucker shrank by a good 50% in the slow cooker, and didn't even yield decent jelly from the bones. It made ONE meal. I live in England's best livestock farming area confused

Could have had two supermarket steaks for that, and used fewer ingredients!

With some regret, I'm grateful for cheapo chickens. I genuinely do get 4 or more solid meals from one of those, for £3. Sorry, hens.

RiverTam Fri 02-May-14 20:38:38

we don't have Quorn - DH isn't keen (he doesn't really like any kind of meat substitute) it's too low in fat for DD, and as I'm not veggie I don't really want something that isn't meat tasting of meat!

We use canned puy lentils for making spag bol.

I defy your 'D'H not to like halloumi! Mmm, Halloumi burgers rock. Might have to get some for the weekend.

Nottalotta Fri 02-May-14 20:23:11

Its a concern gamer as I know some people have violent reactions to Quorn. A friend of mine included. But worth a try.

gamerchick Fri 02-May-14 20:05:44

I do that when the husband isn't here.. just have little nibbles on a plate grin

I was chatting to the husband earlier about the quorn that we had once which gave us the squits.. He did a shudder as he remembers how rank it was. It does not fool you.

Nottalotta Fri 02-May-14 19:56:30

Thanks rainbunny I am going to give quorn a try. Isn't it cheaper and lower in fat?

'D'H is in a right old sulk tonight and doesn't want any dinner. Fine. I've had a carrot chopped into sticks with houmous, and two boiled eggs! grin

He certainly would not consider it a 'proper' meal!

Rainbunny Fri 02-May-14 17:30:37

I could be you, I actually don't like eating much meat but my DH cannot imagine a dinner without it. I try to make dishes that I can add meat to: diced chicken, cooked & chopped bacon etc... Things like pasta sauces (primavera, tomato based sauces), chilli, curries, fajitas, lentil soup etc...

I sometimes use quorn instead of chicken in curries as well, I forgot to mention it to DH one time and he failed to notice that it wasn't real meat.

Nottalotta Fri 02-May-14 07:37:14

Garlic do you think the that the quantity of meat eaten in one meal is more now than in ye olden days?

When i was a child, if we had sausages, i had 1, brother and sister (older) had 1.5, mum had1 and dad had 3! (he did long hours at a very physical job)

Same with a roast. Oneice of meat. So although we had meat at almost every meal, the amount per meal was much less.

GarlicMaybeNot Thu 01-May-14 23:19:50

I'm too old to faff about this, anyway. I visibly wilt if I don't have meat, and a bit of bacon stretched out with lentils doesn't fool my metabolism (I'm supposed to avoid pulses anyway, though I don't due to budgets.) When I were a lass we had meat at all three meals - often four, in fact, since we also had tea and that might include sausages or ham. Until the 70s, the only memories anybody had of meatless meals were from wartime. Then vegetarianism made its appearance, though a lot of 70s vegetarians ate fish grin

I just wanted to point out that a load of meaningless crap is spoken of how much less meat folks ate in ye oldene dayes. Outside of wars & famines, Brits have always eaten stacks of meat. A 'normal' amount of meat in modern life is way less than any but the destitute have eaten at all points in our history.

Oh, and vegetarian ape primates aren't vegetarian. They eat ants & beetles.

RedSoloCup Thu 01-May-14 22:35:11

We don't eat much meat at all, I used to be veggie (just because I don't like a lot of meat) and now eat a small amount but not much.

Typical meals here include:
Breaded fish fillets, mash and beans
Veggie sausage casserole with mash / new pots / rice
Pasta (quorn bolog, quorn pieces and veg or just simply with a nice sauce, added veg and grated cheese on top)
Fish cake with salad and couscous
Prawn pasta pesto
quorn chilli and rice
veggie chilli / lasagne
homemade pizza - everyone choosed their own toppings

We do sometimes have chicken curry or a nice piece of fillet steak, I do steak burgers for the kids / dh and I have quorn ones, same with sausages sometimes....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now