To eat meat every day?

(136 Posts)
Nottalotta Thu 01-May-14 13:58:47

And ask you for easy alternatives?

Theres just me and DH. I would happily go without meat most days but he prefers meat. Not that he would dare complain....

We do have fish once a week, and omlette once a week but that sometimes has ham or bacon in it.

I do all the cooking and am late home weekdays so tend to go for grilled meat with new potatos and veg as its quick and easy. Or chilli/bolognaise

Any suggestions?

Nottalotta Fri 02-May-14 21:53:52

Well that makes me feel better garlic

So gamer you get 8 servings plus stock? Assuming there are two boys. I need to stop giving DH so much chicken....

GarlicMaybeNot Fri 02-May-14 21:56:24

Actually I should budget for the big chickens instead. They give more meat, proportionally, so maybe a couple of non-beige meals for the freezer smile Thanks, thread!

itsbetterthanabox Fri 02-May-14 21:56:32

There's a big problem with eating meat everyday. It's a huge contributing factor to hunger in the third world that the west eats so much meat. In turn it is terrible for the environment. It is also not needed for your body and it is cruel and unnecessary killing.

GarlicMaybeNot Fri 02-May-14 21:57:35

(Although chicken is beige anyway, dammit)

gamerchick Fri 02-May-14 21:58:00

I suppose.. but remember a portion of meat is something like the palm of the hand.. there doesn't need to be loads of meat per serving but tbh the meals I make seem to be more meat than anything else but if you strip the chicken properly there's a big pile of it.

GarlicMaybeNot Fri 02-May-14 22:00:08

Yes, box, but unfortunately 'Western' people eating anything exacerbates food poverty in the supplier countries. Have you looked into the effects your legumes, beans, wheat, rice, corn & quinoa are having on the farmer communities?

GarlicMaybeNot Fri 02-May-14 22:01:18

Dunno what size portions you think I'm eating, Gamer! I'm very inactive, I don't overeat.

gamerchick Fri 02-May-14 22:04:32

I've no idea garlic I don't know you.. I do know that people are surprised at what a proper portion size is usually. What size are your portions?

itsbetterthanabox Fri 02-May-14 22:45:15

Garlic meat farming takes up so much land and energy. Much, much more than any vegetable, grain, fruit or pulse. It needs space to graze/live, huge amount of water and somewhere to put all the faeces.
Plant food has to be eaten to live but eating animals is not necessary and cause far, far more damage.

GarlicMaybeNot Fri 02-May-14 23:54:27

I know it does. Fortunately I live in Europe, which is still fertile and liberally supplied with large tracts of well-watered, well-drained, uninhabited space. If I were an African subsistence farmer I'm sure I'd be eating a lot less meat. Have you looked into the effects your legumes, beans, wheat, rice, corn & quinoa are having on the farmer communities?

Rainbunny Sat 03-May-14 21:07:28

About Quorn - I've never had any digestive issues from eating it (first time to hear that actually). As a meat substitute it's probably cheaper than meat but I think it's really expensive for a meat substitute (compared to soy based products, which aren''t as good for you).

I admit it doesn't fool me but it comes pretty close to a chicken-like taste. I only use it in strong flavoured dishes like curries & Thai dishes anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now