To put my baby in a red coat when...

(103 Posts)
missknows Wed 30-Apr-14 21:50:10

She has a purple pram?

Because a random old lady who wanted to look in the pram and see the baby (as they do) told me off for exactly that! Are the fashion police going to arrest me? Will my daughter be scarred for life?

P.s obviously this is a light-hearted thread but the lady was genuinely disgusted in me and made a point of telling me so. Thought she was going to phone childline on my baby's behalf.

Marvintheparanoid Mon 05-May-14 21:33:49

DFIL told us off for getting DD a blue pram (only decent one we could afford). He also was horrified that DSIL painted DNephew's room green. shock At that point we gave up trying to figure out his colour preferences.
But red and purple? Clearly you are not thinking straight. Orange and black would have been the way to go.

Passmethecrisps Fri 02-May-14 20:30:26

Genuinely, I was not offended.
Honest guvna.

I am just interested

and considering having her wear a massive glittery hair band all the time

Passmethecrisps Fri 02-May-14 20:29:28

Today! Today my 18 m dd was being dragged walking out of the supermarket today and we were greeted by the dad of a neighbour.

"What's the matter son?"
"Why's he greetin?"
"Poor wee man!"

SHE was wearing a pink and orange (so shoot me) jumper with a big cat face on with skinny jeans and red Mary Janes.

But she has almost no hair.

ebwy Thu 01-May-14 16:34:21

Zing

that would explain it!

Scaredycat3000 Thu 01-May-14 16:27:46

But, but, if you don't dress them all in white how are you going to bleach everything?!! wink ponders on quite how OP ended up allergic to bleach

ZingWatermelon Thu 01-May-14 16:17:17

ebwy

those people are on absinthe grin

RedToothBrush Thu 01-May-14 16:08:05

You should have asked her to buy a new pram or coat for her if she thought it was that bad.

ebwy Thu 01-May-14 16:00:28

I have been told off several times by random strangers for "putting that poor baby at risk!" by putting him in a bright lime green buggy.

Apparently green will encourage the fairies to abduct him, and if I can't do as I should and get rid of it I should at least dress him in red to put them off....

people are weird.

GwenStacy Thu 01-May-14 15:53:12

Also, today I had my daughter in her sling, and an old lady asked if she was a boy.

"No, a little girl"
"Ahh, he's a bonny lad!"

:-/

GwenStacy Thu 01-May-14 15:51:08

Havana - where is that pushchair from? I need it in my life!

ZingWatermelon Thu 01-May-14 15:43:46

Miaow

I adore red hair.
dark copper is lovely.
I love love love flame red and strawberry blonde and all shades really
your DD is a lucky girl
envy

MiaowTheCat Thu 01-May-14 15:41:04

With the ginger thing - DD2 has a very strange hair shade at the moment- most of the time it looks dark blonde to me but in a certain light it's the most beautiful shade of copper (seriously I've been trying all my life to get hair that bloody shade!) and my mum is obsessed with melodramatically telling me "Hate to tell you this - but I think she's going to be.... GINGER!" And I just look at her like.... and so?

KatieKaye Thu 01-May-14 15:28:17

The film is Don't look now. Very upsetting but briiliant

ZingWatermelon Thu 01-May-14 15:16:05

what film? I don't know any film about red coats.

silence negative thoughts and be brave & bold instead! smile

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Thu 01-May-14 14:49:56

Thank you zing I've got long black wavy hair too and I know I'd really suit one but that witchy little character in the film just haunts me! Totally idiotic I know! blush

HelenHen Thu 01-May-14 14:23:02

Babygro lol

HelenHen Thu 01-May-14 14:22:42

Aw jaysus... I just bought a red and purple Bangor for ds shock

Summerbreezing Thu 01-May-14 14:02:47

I actually bought my nephew a t-shirt with ''I'm a Boy' written on it because my SIL was fed up of people saying 'how old is she'? etc.
I bet some people still said 'oh she's lovely'.

ZingWatermelon Thu 01-May-14 13:58:33

you must buy a red coat. it will be great.
sod what people think and enjoy looking awesome!smile

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Thu 01-May-14 13:43:15

Spatch I was just about to post just that <spooky woo emoticon>

I love read coats but because I'm petite short arse I don't as I'm paranoid about looking like the crazy woman in Don't Look Now grin

CrystalQueen Thu 01-May-14 13:42:58

Ha. My mother told me that DD often looks like she has been "sicked on by a parrot". Cheers mum.

ZingWatermelon Thu 01-May-14 13:39:39

ron

I love that poem, thanks for reminding me! thanks

spatchcock Thu 01-May-14 13:24:49

I also thought this was going to be about Don't Look Now, the thread title gave me the shivers.

MadameLeBean Thu 01-May-14 13:08:09

I love red with purple. My favourite jumper is purple and I always wear red nail polish smile

Maybe she thinks red with purple is a combination reserved exclusively for women of a certain age, in accordance with the poem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now