How to get a council house - definition of entitled?

(94 Posts)
Notcontent Wed 30-Apr-14 21:39:06

Just watching that show on channel four. Yes, I know, I shouldn't watch it but need some rubbish tv. Anyway, that woman Marilyn - really, why would she go on tv when she is obviously being so unreasonable. She has been offered a place to live but nothing is good enough for her. I know she is not representative of most people but in a minority. But annoying nonetheless.

I was buying a place a while ago. I quickly realised I couldn't afford the perfect house in the perfect location. So I ended up buing a really shitty house that ticked a few boxes because that's all I could afford. And I am very grateful.

PavlovtheCat Wed 30-Apr-14 22:04:13

Steve seems vulnerable, I was very shock and sad to see him knocking his meds back with a glass of wine.

Is that not normal then shock, it goes down much better with a glass of wine. At least he was using a glass.

giggleshizz Wed 30-Apr-14 22:04:36

Watching it too. Was tempted to start a thread but too lazy grin. Was thinking exactly the same thing 're entitlement! If you move to a council house with one child and an adequate sized house for the three of you, how on earth can you keep having more without any plan to actually be able to buy/rent something to accommodate said family.

My heart sinks for those who genuinely are made homeless and desperate but as for the others...what a sense of entitlement!

Btw I am a LP with small dd who was made homeless. Thank my lucky stars for my mum who took us in and we have a very comfortable home until I get back on my freet. This show makes me think 'there for the grace of God.....'

Pipbin Wed 30-Apr-14 22:06:21

And like one of the housing officers said the problem is the council houses that have been sold off and are now being rented back to the council. Council houses should never have been sold.
not that I bought an ex council house you understand

I watched this. I felt for Steve but I don't understand why the options are 'one bed flat' or 'homelessness'. Of course he'll struggle to find his own flat for £254pw, but he could rent a room in a shared house/flat for about £150pw.

Swathes of professionals in their 20s/30s and beyond can only afford shared accommodation post-University in London and it's a reality for a generation. And if you're single it's better than homelessness if that's your only other option.

BillyBanter Wed 30-Apr-14 22:10:28

It would have been ok to sell the council houses if the money had been ringfenced and used for building more council houses. I can't remember whether councils were banned from using it to build more or just heavily discouraged.

Nerf Wed 30-Apr-14 22:11:30

But is it the housing benefit? So if he rented a room at 150 he'd only get 100? I don't know how it works.

So there's a banker, a benefit claimant and a daily mail reader sitting down to share ten biscuits. While the others are not looking, the banker swipes nine of the biscuits and says to the daily mail reader, 'careful, that benefits claimant is after your biscuit!'

Wise up! This is divide-and-conquer bullshit. Ask yourselves where the real money has gone. A very few people are doing very well indeed.

WooWooOwl Wed 30-Apr-14 22:15:15

I'm with you, I felt really sorry for Steve, but couldn't believe the attitude that Marilyn had. Or that women that wouldn't move out of her three bed place unless she got a house with a garden. She was incredibly selfish.

chocolatespiders Wed 30-Apr-14 22:16:13

So many people continue to live in the family homes when there children have left home.. Should people only be able to stay in the property while it meets their need and be moved on when it is no longer appropriate for them? Or should they be able to stay in the family home even if it means they are rattling around with 2 spare bedrooms.

The council offering 1000 incentive for the lady to move was an eye opener! In my job I see lots of people in under occupied properties and then also the extremes of severe heartbreaking over crowding.

candycoatedwaterdrops Wed 30-Apr-14 22:17:26

"The problem is the council houses that have been sold off and are now being rented back to the council."

Crazy times!

HopeClearwater Wed 30-Apr-14 22:19:13

why would she go on tv when she is obviously being so unreasonable

Duh!! Wrong question!

The question should be:

why would tv makers film her when she is obviously being so unreasonable

and the answer is:

'Because it makes good TV as thoughtless, gullible people like the OP fall for it every time'.

WooWooOwl Wed 30-Apr-14 22:35:05

Do people really think that even with editing that women didn't really turn down three separate offers of permanent homes and that she didn't really think she deserved whatever sort of a home she wanted?

Editing and carefully chosen shots can only do so much.

Quoteunquote Wed 30-Apr-14 22:38:53
BillyBanter Wed 30-Apr-14 22:45:53

I don't think any ethical programme maker should be churning out this crap at all.

Pipbin Wed 30-Apr-14 22:48:51

I don't think any ethical programme maker should be churning out this crap at all.

No, but these aren't ethical programme makers.

Pipbin Wed 30-Apr-14 22:51:27

Do people really think that even with editing that women didn't really turn down three separate offers of permanent homes and that she didn't really think she deserved whatever sort of a home she wanted?

I'm sure she did. I also feel that she may have had mental health issues. We also didn't see the state of the other properties that she was offered. I agree that she should have cut her loses and taken one of them but they could have been on some dreadful sink estate, have needed a lot of work or been on fire or something.

Ketchuphidestheburntbits Wed 30-Apr-14 22:56:31

I felt very sorry for the council worker who was being shouted and sworn at. She was only carrying out her job and didn't deserve the abuse. I suspect she has rude people treating her like rubbish every single day.

WooWooOwl Wed 30-Apr-14 22:59:04

I don't think there's anything wrong with the programme being made, what's unethical about a documentary showing how housing is organised in certain parts of the country?

Generally people who want to promote the plight of the poor want these things to be discussed openly so that people who are unaffected can see what's going on.

Busybusybust Wed 30-Apr-14 23:05:48

I thought Marilyn had some sort of cognitive problem. Possibly brain damage - accident, drugs, who knows. But really didn't appear to be 'all there'

Oh, and the selling off of council housing stock - not one of Mrs Thatcher's better ideas, but the worst bit was that the Government banned councils from using the proceeds of sales to replenish social housing stock.

happybubblebrain Wed 30-Apr-14 23:13:16

I felt sorry for all of them. It must be really hard. And the rents are ridiculous.

But, what I don't understand is why people are so reluctant to move out of London when you can have a better standard of living in most of the rest of the country. Can you someone explain that to me.

Forago Wed 30-Apr-14 23:15:30

taking selective editing outbofbthe equation, I did see a lot of unnecessary rudeness to people trying to help. I think the housing officers attitude to people was telling - think they probably had the best idea of who "deserved" a break and who was playing the system.

all the "because I deserve it" got a bit wearing I have to say. As well as the reluctance to move out of London to find somewhere big enough and affordable for families - like myself and everybody I know that was also born in London has had to.

WooWooOwl Wed 30-Apr-14 23:16:41

I guess people just want to stay where they know other people and they have friends. I can understand that for single people who don't have children and are literally on their own in life. It's less understandable when you will be moving with family.

Forago Wed 30-Apr-14 23:20:21

they were being asked to move a 30/40 Min train ride away though. people move way further than that for education, jobs etc on their own. I just cant see how cramming your kids into a mouldy flat in tower hamlets is preferable to an affordable house in Kent or Essex (where they do have midwives)

Roshbegosh Wed 30-Apr-14 23:25:06

It doesn't matter how affordable it is because they won't be paying for it.

happybubblebrain Wed 30-Apr-14 23:27:23

Most people move in their lives for university/college, careers, relationships, opportunities. New friends can be made. Family will always be on the end of the phone/internet. I still don't see why people are reluctant to stay put and not accept a better life for themselves and their children. London property is unaffordable to most people now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now