about my neighbour and her washing?

(255 Posts)
Romy75 Wed 30-Apr-14 14:28:27

Their fence aligns my road so I can view their garden from my front windows. When the woman hangs out her washing the line is pulled extremely high so every single garment is visible from us and passers by. Thankfully no underwear in sight!

I find it an eyesore but dh thinks I am moaning about nothing. I feel embarrassed when guests visit during the summer months. It just looks horrible.

Am I being petty?

qazxc Fri 02-May-14 16:35:44

I can't believe this can be that much of a problem, whenever I try to put my washing outside it rains on it. sad. Surely this is only an occasional/seasonal occurence.

Bunbaker Fri 02-May-14 16:10:18

I really don't get some people's hang ups about putting washing outside. No pun intended - honestly.

As a lapsed Greenpeace member I don't know why anyone would want to waste electricity use up finite fuel resources when there is no need to (assuming fine weather of course).

Also, hanging out washing is free.

I realise there are other valid reasons for not hanging out washing, but just because someone is prudish about it isn't good enough IMO.

MistressDeeCee Fri 02-May-14 15:09:36

This thread has made me grin

I do sympathise with you OP - I think its just you don't like what you see as an eyesore in your vision, adjacent to your lovely home. But..its all a bit Hyacinth Bucket, isn't it? You'll simply have to train yourself not to care. Or get into the swing of things start hanging out American Tan tights and parachute panties or some such

But thinking about it more now, I actually think it might bother me too. Not if they were hanging out washing in their gardens, but if it was really visible on entry to my home, I wouldn't really be happy. & I don't hang my washing out in the garden at all, I use tumble drier/airer. I don't like the idea of my washing on display. So maybe Im slightly Hyacinth too confused

StackALee Fri 02-May-14 13:08:51

I really didn't know people like this existed until I joined mumsnet.

snowgirl1 Fri 02-May-14 12:56:23

Romy YABU. How are clean clothes hanging on a line any more offensive than when wore on a body?

Chardonnay put net curtains up so that you can't see the tampax packet (and you'll also have some net curtains to twitch).

gotthemoononastick Fri 02-May-14 12:35:57

Goodness,Minty cool!!....Another thing to look out for when surveying possible neighbourhoods.

This search is going to take so long,that we might consider naice old people places with loads of rules and civilised followers of these,instead.

MexicanSpringtime Fri 02-May-14 02:44:08

Gosh, when I think of friends of mine who have had to move because the flat they bought was made with really thin walls and they spent years with next to no sleep because of the level of noise, what they would give to only have to worry about the height of the neighbours washing line.

KatieKaye Thu 01-May-14 22:54:46

Chardonnay - it's only going to get worse. Just imagine if she has a daughter who then also uses sanpro too? Double the horror.
Panic not. All can still be well. Just invite your neighbour around for coffee and then suggest she has a hysterectomy. Problem solved.
(I hope she doesn't hang her washing out where you can see it)

Chardonnay73 Thu 01-May-14 22:13:25

Yes, of course I see them when I buy my own in the supermarket, I have actually managed not to faint at the sight of them for nearly 25 years. I just don't want to see them at the top of my stairs every single fecking day!!

If we have guests to stop over, every one, bar none have mentioned it at some point during their stay, hence my question.

MissDuke Thu 01-May-14 21:56:42

Op, yanbu, obviously. In fact, I think you should go straight over and tell your neighbour exactly what you wrote in your op. Then come and tell us what she said :-) Please, please, please!!!

ZingWatermelon Thu 01-May-14 21:45:41

a bit funny.

encourage family members to add new messages oftenwink

ZingWatermelon Thu 01-May-14 21:43:23

Chardonnay

stick a paper on your window saying "BOGOF" so it looks

HanSolo Thu 01-May-14 21:34:08

Goodness chardonnay- do you never walk down the 'feminine hygiene' aisle in the supermarket?

If you could see her using them, you may have a complaint...

treaclesoda Thu 01-May-14 21:21:41

MMccanny you say you hate the thought of anyone seeing your washing, to the extent of not even wanting it to be visible through the windows.

What is it about it that horrifies you? Is it a money thing, do you want to appear so rich that you just throw things away when they're dirty?

That's a genuine question btw, not sarcasm. I'm trying to understand the logic behind it, and that's the only explanation I can come up with in my head.

mrsbucketxx Thu 01-May-14 20:57:18

Cooooeeee Ilovecolin im here waves manically.

Chardonnay73 Thu 01-May-14 20:37:26

That could be a plan...although sadly the only thing I can knit (badly) is a dolls scarf blush

sigh I may just have to windolene the whole window and say its a design feature so my delicate feelings are spared!!

MMcanny Thu 01-May-14 20:36:06

Don't worry Chardonay, the menopause will get her soon enough - tho then it might be the Tena Lady on display!

MMcanny Thu 01-May-14 20:33:53

I'd like to state that I also think the op is being silly, however, I'm not a big fan of washing on display. I've never hung mine out, I don't really mind other peoples and it's more about not wanting bird poo/spiders and everyone 'looking at my washing' so she might like to move in next to me. I do most of it in the tumble drier but also have a small airer that I only have out of view upstairs. Did put it in our massive hall downstairs in the beginning but didn't like th thought of visitors passing it by or neighbours seeing it thru the window. Really. I know this is wierd. Don't worry op, you'e not completely alone.

Yamyoid Thu 01-May-14 20:24:54

chardonnay, have you seen those Hoover covers usually sold through the freebie mags in newspapers? They are the shape of a maid. You could knit a mini version and give it to your ndn explaining it's a sanpro cover. wink
Actually I feel a trip to Dragon's Den might be in order...

uselessidiot Thu 01-May-14 20:16:20

I'm with your DH I'm afraid. I can't see the issue either.

I'm not your neighbour btw, I don't use tampax and my bathroom is downstairs.

Chardonnay73 Thu 01-May-14 20:00:44

shrugs It pisses me off. I don't want to see the word TAMPAX every time I climb to the top of my stairs! It may well be irrational but 'meh' that's how I feel, rightly or wrongly!

I would obviously look like a total tool if I went round and said something based on your responses so thanks for saving me from social suicide wink

Dh cant see the issue hence why I asked.

ilovecolinfirth Thu 01-May-14 19:43:34

Is that you Mrs Bucket/Bouquet?!!

KatieKaye Thu 01-May-14 19:26:01

Chardonnay - why not brick up your window to save your delicate eyes from being offended by these vile products?
You are clearly so much more refined than she is, why run the risk of her seeing into your perfect house?
BTW - it could be worse. Imagine if she was using Aldi or Lidl own-brand sanpro!
Safest thing is to move immediately and spare yourself any more heartbreak.

ZingWatermelon Thu 01-May-14 19:25:35

bun

I expect so.
so do I!wink

Bunbaker Thu 01-May-14 19:25:02

I think Chardonnay has her tongue planted firmly in her cheek.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now