about my neighbour and her washing?

(255 Posts)
Romy75 Wed 30-Apr-14 14:28:27

Their fence aligns my road so I can view their garden from my front windows. When the woman hangs out her washing the line is pulled extremely high so every single garment is visible from us and passers by. Thankfully no underwear in sight!

I find it an eyesore but dh thinks I am moaning about nothing. I feel embarrassed when guests visit during the summer months. It just looks horrible.

Am I being petty?

MichaelFinnigan Wed 30-Apr-14 14:37:11

I'd love a line that pulls up high. And I'd hang my pants and huge bras on it too for all to see

specialsubject Wed 30-Apr-14 14:37:22

perhaps you need to get out more?

what else do you expect her to do with her washing on a sunny day?

gotnotimeforthat Wed 30-Apr-14 14:38:03

even if there was underwear YABU.

HecatePropylaea Wed 30-Apr-14 14:38:21

You're not about to do the biggest drip feed dump in the history of mumsnet now and disclose that it's rubber suits, gimp masks and crotchless outfits all pinned up with nipple clamps, are you? grin

Romy75 Wed 30-Apr-14 14:38:39

The clothes can be seen by anyone walking along my road, not just me.

Oh and my surname is pronounced Bouquet!

I had better leave this thread now!

SilverShins Wed 30-Apr-14 14:39:48

Me too Hecate. Reminds me of halcyon summer days (and it was always summer then), when our garden seemed permanently covered in floaty washing.

Didn't bother me then and doesn't bother me now.

Yabu.

CinnabarRed Wed 30-Apr-14 14:40:56

I'm honestly and completely bemused!

I positively like to see washing drying on a line. The way it moves in the breeze is soothing.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Wed 30-Apr-14 14:41:09

"The clothes can be seen by anyone walking along my road, not just me."

AND??

Everyone has washing. No-one cares about other people's washing. Except you for some reason. hmm

BookieTubules Wed 30-Apr-14 14:41:45

Oh, the horror!

I love the sight of my washing (underwear and all) blowing in the garden. I have no opinions on my neighbours' washing.

Perhaps you should go and complain? If I were your neighbour I'd then do something like this but it would be a lot ruder.

FreeSpirit89 Wed 30-Apr-14 14:43:06

YABU - it doesn't effect you. So why worry?

DidoTheDodo Wed 30-Apr-14 14:43:43

I think you ought to move ;)

CinnabarRed Wed 30-Apr-14 14:48:03

Here is my washing right now!

So if she isn't putting her underwear on the line, where is it going? Does she have a Site B washing-line where she dries her unmentionables? Do they only go out after dark and come in before dawn?

Or...zOMG...does she just not wash them?

[faints]

Plonkysaurus Wed 30-Apr-14 14:49:28

Perhaps the OP wears a dry-wipe catsuit and never has to wash her clothes.

It's the only explanation except the explanation that explains she's crazy.

Notmadeofrib Wed 30-Apr-14 14:49:43

If they were sh**ting in their garden for all to see, I'd perhaps see more of your POV!

shitatusernames Wed 30-Apr-14 14:49:58

That's all you can find to moan about? Some people have nightmare neighbours think yourself lucky hmm

uselessidiot Wed 30-Apr-14 14:50:11

Yabu and snobbish. Your husband is right. Why does it bother you who sees it, it's not your washing.

The washing needs dried, drying inside causes condensation and dampness while tumble dryers cost money to run and are bad for the environment.

TiggyD Wed 30-Apr-14 14:51:27

Wow Cinnibar! You live in a castle!

And must have a giant living with you by the scale of your washing. confused

MandarinCheesecake Wed 30-Apr-14 14:51:33

You do realise people have been drying washing outside for generations?? Its nothing new.
You'd have a breakdown if you lived in my mums row of houses, they all have low fences so can see from one end to the other, washing and all -oh the horror!!

You are being unbelievably snobbish if this seriously bothers you.

DidoTheDodo Wed 30-Apr-14 14:53:08

tiggyd beat me to it. I'm impressed by Cinnabar's castle too!

CinnabarRed Wed 30-Apr-14 14:53:13

Why, yes. Yes I do.

Although the only creatures looking at my washing right now are the cows in the field.

They think it's nice. They would eat it, if they could.

RobinSparkles Wed 30-Apr-14 14:53:30

Gosh! My washing is pulled really high as the sun gets to it better when it's high and it dries quicker. I'm not your neighbour though as we have a wall and we're not on a through road.

<<phew>>

YABU

YoureBeingASillyBilly Wed 30-Apr-14 14:53:33

Cinnibar i am jealous of your garden. Are the fields yours too?

CinnabarRed Wed 30-Apr-14 14:54:11

The castle is very handy to send small boys to, when they get overexcited and silly on the trampoline, to calm down.

kentishgirl Wed 30-Apr-14 14:55:58

I love seeing washing flapping about in the sun, makes me feel all summery.

They are only clothes. They are clean. You see people wearing clothes every day. What's the difference?

This is snobbery. I've heard of developers that ban outside lines for 'lowering the tone'. Dicks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now