about my neighbour and her washing?

(255 Posts)
Romy75 Wed 30-Apr-14 14:28:27

Their fence aligns my road so I can view their garden from my front windows. When the woman hangs out her washing the line is pulled extremely high so every single garment is visible from us and passers by. Thankfully no underwear in sight!

I find it an eyesore but dh thinks I am moaning about nothing. I feel embarrassed when guests visit during the summer months. It just looks horrible.

Am I being petty?

snowgirl1 Fri 02-May-14 12:56:23

Romy YABU. How are clean clothes hanging on a line any more offensive than when wore on a body?

Chardonnay put net curtains up so that you can't see the tampax packet (and you'll also have some net curtains to twitch).

StackALee Fri 02-May-14 13:08:51

I really didn't know people like this existed until I joined mumsnet.

MistressDeeCee Fri 02-May-14 15:09:36

This thread has made me grin

I do sympathise with you OP - I think its just you don't like what you see as an eyesore in your vision, adjacent to your lovely home. But..its all a bit Hyacinth Bucket, isn't it? You'll simply have to train yourself not to care. Or get into the swing of things start hanging out American Tan tights and parachute panties or some such

But thinking about it more now, I actually think it might bother me too. Not if they were hanging out washing in their gardens, but if it was really visible on entry to my home, I wouldn't really be happy. & I don't hang my washing out in the garden at all, I use tumble drier/airer. I don't like the idea of my washing on display. So maybe Im slightly Hyacinth too confused

Bunbaker Fri 02-May-14 16:10:18

I really don't get some people's hang ups about putting washing outside. No pun intended - honestly.

As a lapsed Greenpeace member I don't know why anyone would want to waste electricity use up finite fuel resources when there is no need to (assuming fine weather of course).

Also, hanging out washing is free.

I realise there are other valid reasons for not hanging out washing, but just because someone is prudish about it isn't good enough IMO.

qazxc Fri 02-May-14 16:35:44

I can't believe this can be that much of a problem, whenever I try to put my washing outside it rains on it. sad. Surely this is only an occasional/seasonal occurence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now