..to think that tights should last longer than one wear?

(22 Posts)
WotchOotErAPolis Thu 24-Apr-14 07:40:11

Thursday gripe- why do tights seem so fragile these days? 4 pairs of M&S and 2 pairs of Primark tights later and I'm back to zero.

All are 15 denier 'no ladder' tights. Whilst only one pair has actually laddered, none has lasted more than one outing - indeed most 'went' when I was putting them on for the first time; another went on my first loo visit. They develop holes(s) straight away so are totally useless.

When I returned 4 pairs to M&S, I was told I couldn't have a refund as I'd worn them. I had to escalate to the supervisor before they decided that 'on this occasion' they would refund! They tried the 'did you try them on first' bit. Well yes I did, but only once! My issue was never with fit, but with the dreadful quality and the fact that they charge £5 a pair! Even Primark charge £3.50 a pair.

Surely now in the 21st century, we can manufacture tights to last? Can anyone recommend a good manufacturer before I have to resort to exposing my bare legs in the office?!

CrohnicallyHungry Thu 24-Apr-14 07:42:30

I don't know about 'good' but I used tesco tights when I got married. I think they were something like 3 pairs for £4, and the same pair lasted the whole day and evening so many toilet trips!

suzzzyq Thu 24-Apr-14 08:54:18

Nude fishnets are relatively hole resistant - I think they look nice most work attire and are quite subtle.

Stay ups mean if you put a hole in one, at least you have the other.

Otherwise I get the most expensive stockings on sale - the cheap ones never last as long.

Suefla62 Thu 24-Apr-14 08:55:52

Sounds like the size could be more the problem than the quality. They shouldn't be going into holes as soon as you put them on.

notaflamingclue Thu 24-Apr-14 09:00:20

15 denier - rubbish IMO. I always try to get the M&S 20 denier if I can find them, but I haven't seen them for ages.
It's even possible they've discontinued them and I didn't notice. That's how often I wear tights, horrible things.

suzzzyq Thu 24-Apr-14 09:02:47

Also, I always go a size or two bigger then the size recommended on the box - despite being size 6 and 5'5, never had a problem with the bigger sizes being too big ...

BikeRunSki Thu 24-Apr-14 09:05:55

Opaques in winter
Bare legs in summer
Trousers inbetween!

Picturesinthefirelight Thu 24-Apr-14 09:19:37

It usually means they are too short in the leg.

WotchOotErAPolis Fri 25-Apr-14 07:42:38

Nothing wrong at all with size/fit. I already default to next size up from the sizing guides! They are just so fragile. I am old enough to remember tights that were low denier and washed & wore loads before getting runs, ladders, holes, etc. I don't expect to spend £5 for tights that don't last even one wear / try on.

WotchOotErAPolis Fri 25-Apr-14 07:44:28

Bikerunski: maybe this is why maxi dresses are so popular?! :-)

littledrummergirl Fri 25-Apr-14 07:54:07

Ive given up. Long skirts in winter, bare legs in summer and trousers for work.
If I need tights I wear a pair and take a spare.
I buy Sainsburys basics. Cheap and last as long as the more expensive ones.

BranchingOut Fri 25-Apr-14 09:53:16

I think the 'branded' tights such as Pretty Polly and Charnos are generally better than M&S.

I reckon to pay about �6 - 7 per pair of sheer tights, but get a number of wears out of them. But then again, I wear sheer tights very infrequently - just for formal occasions. In the winter I wear wool tights and in the summer bare legs. Occasionally, in the spring or early autumn, I wear sheer hold-ups.

But yes, you are right - they should last more than one wear. I remember tights in the 90s being like that...

BikeRunSki Fri 25-Apr-14 11:19:31

I think you might be right wotch, even though I hate them!

sarinka Fri 25-Apr-14 11:30:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

popcornpaws Fri 25-Apr-14 12:44:21

I had the same problem, I need to wear tights at work and spent a fortune on tights that didn't last the day or didn't fit.
I ordered tights direct from pretty polly, and although they are more expensive, they work out cheaper in the long run as they don't rip, ladder or get random holes in them.
I will never buy cheap tights again!

MyrtleDove Fri 25-Apr-14 13:02:13

Sainsburys, BHS and (slightly weirdly) Boots are good for tights. Sainsburys' supersoft opaques are lovely and comfy.

afterthought Fri 25-Apr-14 20:09:53

My primark ones didn't even last the one wear - I put my fingers through them just pulling them up. Buying a bigger size helped though. I buy the cheapy ones though - £2.50 for 5 I think. I think of them as disposable and since adopting this mentality they have lasted ages ..

DaffodilsandTruffles Fri 25-Apr-14 20:15:51

A lady I know accidentally bought a pair of £20 tights.

They lasted 10 years.

I've always thought it would be worth investing £100 in 5 pairs of tights to last a lifetime but you'd be terrified of ripping them.

YussMinister Fri 25-Apr-14 20:16:43

15 denier sounds way too flimsy, I'd probably always stick a nail through! 40 denier all the way.

BikeRunSki Fri 25-Apr-14 20:27:51

Intrigued by the £20 tights!

AndreasVesalius Fri 25-Apr-14 20:46:03

Sainsbury's tights last the best for me. I never go to work in tights without a spare pair. It only takes 'Miss, you've got a hole in your tights' on repeat for 6 periods before you learn this lesson.

oscarwilde Sat 26-Apr-14 09:44:42

I generally buy tights from Boots as its convenient but often put a hole in them just pulling them up. I bought a pair from Wolford for a wedding and they are still perfect after 4 yrs.
mostly though I just wear trousers as it's less faff

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now