To ask dog owners to help me get through this

(41 Posts)
Superchop Wed 23-Apr-14 21:46:35

I am desperate!!

I have a Staffordshire bull terrier who I love dearly but his hair gets everywhere, the worst is it appears on plates. I am clean Hoover daily, I live in a studio flat. I just don't know what i can do to prevent it. I feel like such a tramp

FoolishFay Wed 23-Apr-14 23:32:26

We have a Jack Russell / Poodle Cross - £35 for quarterly clipping but not a single hair shed in the meantime! Q

FoolishFay Wed 23-Apr-14 23:35:08

This one's better!

MidniteScribbler Thu 24-Apr-14 00:19:18

I have six dogs. Dog hair replaces salt and pepper on all meals.

But a good trick when they are shedding is to give them a blow dry first (get a groomer to do it with their big dryer, not your little hairdryer) then a hydrobath, then another blowdry and brush brush brush with a fairly fine metal comb for a while.

Tiptops Thu 24-Apr-14 00:39:19

Agree with others r.e. regular grooming to keep on top of things. I also wash the dog's bedding in a pet wash bag so all their fur stays in the bag not the machine! I used to defuzz my clothes before going out, don't even bother now! Life's too short.

poppycarew Thu 24-Apr-14 01:18:28

Gosh . Furminators sound great . Dyson do a special attachment to one of their hoovers which is a special dog hoover, ie you hoover the actual dog with the attachment . My two were hmm at first , but now they love it

Amaxapax Thu 24-Apr-14 01:22:11

After a recommendation on here, I got a Zoom Groom to accompany my Furminator for my GSD x border collie. I use the Zoom Groom first to tackle the long top coat and the Furminator to get the undercoat. I most often find the top coat on plates whereas the undercoat creates tumbleweeds. I'm lucky in that my dog quite likes to be hoovered. One of us holds the tube while the other brushes and puts the removed fur straight down the tube. Then we use the vacuum on him directly to remove any excess.

We tend to brush him a couple of times a week. The rest of the time we walk around exclaiming, "Look what you've done to my floors!" as more and more fur appears, often helpfully accompanied by muddy paw prints.

tabulahrasa Thu 24-Apr-14 01:38:11

A staffy won't have much of an undercoat - the zoom groom alone should make a difference.

Also try buying things that match the dog, so you don't notice as much, lol

NinjaLeprechaun Thu 24-Apr-14 01:50:49

FoolishFay Poodles and PoodleXs don't shed. It's why they work for people who are allergic.

I have an AkitaX, with that lovely double coat, and I even find his hair in places he doesn't go. In other peoples houses. I think it's just part and parcel of dog ownership.
On the plus side, children who are exposed to ingest animal hair when young are less likely to develop allergies.

nochips Thu 24-Apr-14 02:00:22

We have a mixed breed who is really fluffy and has very distinctive colouring. Once she was standing by the window with the light to her back and sneezed. I saw clouds of hair coming off her and floating into the atmosphere like sound waves.

Another time I was on my commuter train and when getting off saw one of her hairs on the jacket of a man standing in line two people up.

Ludoole Thu 24-Apr-14 02:48:48

Some good suggestions from previous posters. I cant help as I have a yorkie and dog hair is not a problem due to lack of undercoat.
If he did shed I guess id be enjoying dog hair for dinner....

KissesBreakingWave Thu 24-Apr-14 03:08:29

Most dogs think a slicker brush is the best thing ever. Mine hates it, but doesn't shed worth a damn. Because she is a refained lady doggy and doesn't indulge in such common behaviour.

(She'll snack out of the cats' litter tray all the same, like, if you give her half a chance. She may put on airs, but she's still a dog when all's said and done.)

FoolishFay Thu 24-Apr-14 07:46:37

b FoolishFay Poodles and PoodleXs don't shed. It's why they work for people who are allergic.b

Yes, I know, that's one of his main selling points. No one in the family is allergic - apart from to the hoovering....

Ginnytonic82 Thu 24-Apr-14 09:02:06

We pretty much decorated our house golden labrador coloured to try to disguise her fur! It's a way of life for us now, they crop up everywhere, it's the joy of having a dog!

Marylou62 Thu 24-Apr-14 09:14:22

OP....I never wanted a dog...but the rest of the family did. I cant imagine life with out the hairy smelly slobbery thing now! I REALLY LOVE HIM!! Dog hairs drove me mad and I am most definitely not houseproud. But I decided that I'd rather have him than a pristine house so I made a descision to ignore the hairs. We brush him (a springer) lots and have a dyson pet hoover. We take him to the doggy beauty parlour in spring for a shave and bath. But LET IT GO! Now jumping on my white Egyptian cotton bed when he's wet/muddy/sandy is another matter!

Superchop Thu 24-Apr-14 11:44:42

Haha. I wish I could Hoover him but the two of them don't see eye to eye the dogs quite vocal with his dislike for the Hoover too.

OtisSpankmyarse Thu 24-Apr-14 12:19:30

YANBU - WTB (wax the bastard)

I never knew Dyson did a dog hoovering thingy ... I'm so getting one of those (two dogs, hair everywhere)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now