Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

to feel sorry for The Allotment Challenge folks

(13 Posts)
Mylifesmyownagain Wed 23-Apr-14 20:47:17

Why should anyone interested in growing your own also have to be judged on their creativity and cooking skills? I watched episode 2 and was quite amazed at all that was judged -- the straigtness of runner beans, growing perfect roses and then also making a perfect flower wreath (who does that in real life at home really?) and a perfect but unique sauce and a perfect but unique relish. Surely the allotment challenge should be just about growing good stuff -- why should the straightness of beans be an issue for an allotment grower? Surely as long as it tastes good what it looks like shouldn't matter -- I would say the problem with most supermarket veggies is it looks good but tastes bland. And what's this about being perfect at flower arrangements??? If you have an allotment do you do all this and still have a life and enjoy your allotment?

blanchedeveraux Wed 23-Apr-14 20:52:37

If they've been daft enough to take part in it, that's their lookout. I cannot stand the current trend for these programmes "Bake Off"/"Sewing Bee"/Allotment Challenge". Maybe it's because I'm ancient and baking, sewing, knitting and growing veg was an everyday occurrence when I was growing up, not something to "ooh and aah" over, and certainly not something worth commissioning a TV Series for. The idea of my parents sitting watching somebody sew a cushion or bake a sponge is hilarious. My Old Man would have flung a boot at the telly!!

MaryShelley Wed 23-Apr-14 20:58:34

I feel sorry for them because it is the most boring thing I've seen on TV from a long time! <admits turning off almost immediately>

I have an allotment and make relish and grow flowers.

The difference with the allotment challenge is that they're doing it each week as if they were doing it to enter in shows, you know 'best runner bean' etc - loads of folk enter shows.

Not me though, I grow for fun and I'm
Not good enough.

Those folk are best amateur growers, just like seeing bee was best amateur sewers.

Nennypops Wed 23-Apr-14 21:06:45

I agree, the business with the flower displays and the cooking is really a bit ridiculous. Seriously, who is there who enjoys gardening who then spends hours learning how to make complicated wreaths and perfect fruit curd? I loved the Bake Off and the Sewing Bee, but this is a competition too far.

I'm wondering what happens to the allotment and all the flowers, veg and fruit growing on it when someone gets booted. Does some lucky crew member get to take over, or is it left to go to seed?

Willitberaaaaspberry Wed 23-Apr-14 21:17:07

Myself and dh we're chatting about this the other day. We thought to add a bit of spice to it, when they come to reveal which couple are leaving they could take them all back to the gardens and it would be the allotment that had been torn apart by a digger!! shock grin

A bit harsh perhaps? Maybe a step too far for reality tv? grin

squoosh Wed 23-Apr-14 21:27:11

Where will it all end? The Great British Pigeon Fancying Contest?

ICanSeeTheSun Wed 23-Apr-14 21:45:18

I love veg from my dad's veggie patch. It is so much nicer.

The flavours should speck for themselves, but there again I like traditional food, none of this triple cooked chips in a bucket wankerish food.

IDoAllMyOwnStunts Wed 23-Apr-14 21:48:19

I think the relish and sauce bit was only there to make it into an hour long show. I was wondering how long before the show they get to get their allotments looking so good.

Icimoi Wed 23-Apr-14 22:12:40

I think the cooking/making bits are in there to give it a bit of fast action and suspense. They're trying to replicate the tension caused by having to bake cakes or sew something against the clock, but it doesn't work.

Also it suffers by never saying who has come 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc and by not having a presenter who can inject a bit of humour like Mel and Sue.

noddingoff Wed 23-Apr-14 22:38:51

I thought the Great British Menu where they kept earnestly going on about "telling a story on a plate", to the point where the nice chap cut a brill into the shape of a Mulberry harbour ( I shit you not) was a bit much.

JonesRipley Wed 23-Apr-14 22:44:05

I love these programmes, especially the Sewing one, mostly because I hate sewing myself but love to watch creative people being good at things and competing in a friendly way.

The allotment one is, I presume testing all sorts of skills that people who enter things like County Fairs compete about. Might seem a bit ridiculous but up and down the country people are entering jam competetions, flower arranging competitions etc.

The contestants know what they are expected to do, and are enjoying it.

YABU

Mylifesmyownagain Thu 24-Apr-14 09:59:27

JonesRipley: I do like the baking programme myself -- but at least it is all about baking only. Haven't seen the sewing one (wanted to but sadly didn't have time). I'm beginning to get envious now of the people who can grow beautiful veggies and flowers, make fantastic curds (jams is okay I can do that!) and do flower arrangements as well and enter all these competitions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now