To feed 11 mo homemade scallop and chorizo linguini for dinner....

(112 Posts)
Wherediparkmybroom Wed 23-Apr-14 17:41:25

In fairness we are having the same!

PurplePidjin Thu 24-Apr-14 12:22:41

Or ThouShaltHaveAFishie? wink

PedantMarina Wed 23-Apr-14 23:02:04

Naaayy, Purple, shouldn't it be "thou shall have a fishie..."? smile

PurplePidjin Wed 23-Apr-14 20:45:43

I reckon YouShallHaveAFishie for a nc wink

PurplePidjin Wed 23-Apr-14 20:45:16

Yeah but they're tiny! I'm the wrong side of Southampton Water for you sad

FusilliJerry Wed 23-Apr-14 20:43:23

grin " local paper reports of road blockage to seaside town as thousands of mumsnetters descend on it to try new fish recipes"

Wherediparkmybroom Wed 23-Apr-14 20:39:58

Really outed who suggests a name change?????

Wherediparkmybroom Wed 23-Apr-14 20:38:47

I take my youngest with me, he's too young for playgroup, come up I'll even make you a cuppa!

FusilliJerry Wed 23-Apr-14 20:36:43

I will do, dropping off my youngest at auntie ro' s tomorrow morning, then I'll come along!

Wherediparkmybroom Wed 23-Apr-14 20:34:07

Depends where you live purple!

Wherediparkmybroom Wed 23-Apr-14 20:32:54

Any good fishmonger should fillet! I have had people asking me to fillet sardine it should all be part of the service!

PurplePidjin Wed 23-Apr-14 20:29:48

I usually grab a bag of mixed stuff for £2 in Sainsburys freezer bit blush in my defence, the fish man on the market doesn't do anything suitable! We did have nice lemon sole the other week, and he even filletted it for me shock

Wherediparkmybroom Wed 23-Apr-14 20:27:26

Red mullet is sustainable but it is a fashionable fish at the minute. I would buy through the summer, gut and freeze, it isn't getting any older in the freezer.......don't leave longer than 4 months tho!

Wherediparkmybroom Wed 23-Apr-14 20:15:26

Fusilli, wander down I'll make you a cuppa

Wherediparkmybroom Wed 23-Apr-14 20:14:22

Grey mullet for fish pie ! 4.95 per kilo it's really a nice fish...just cheap!!!!

Wherediparkmybroom Wed 23-Apr-14 20:12:41

My boys have discovered smoked mackerel, thinking fondly of the time they liked Dover sole!

OhMrGove Wed 23-Apr-14 20:11:12

YABVVVVU

Because you should be feeding it to ME.

Wherediparkmybroom Wed 23-Apr-14 20:08:42

Hi fussilli!

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 23-Apr-14 20:01:01

I usually cook salmon by wrapping in foil on a bed of sliced orange or lemon or line and the stalks of any fresh herbs I have in the fridge. Squeeze of lemon juice and season seal the parcel and bake for 20-30 mins.

Yum

Wherediparkmybroom Wed 23-Apr-14 20:00:36

One minute cooking the grown up dinner!

Leeds2 Wed 23-Apr-14 19:58:58

Sounds lovely!

PurplePidjin Wed 23-Apr-14 19:53:29

Easiest fish pie ever:

Poach "fish pie mix" in seasoned milk (pepper, mixed herbs, whatever). Remove all but about 1/4" of the milk from the pan with a ladle. Stir in half a bag or ready grated cheddar. Transfer to a ceramic oven dish. Top with frozen mash yes I sometimes use packet stuff Fridge/freeze for later or top with more cheese and oven for 20 minutes.

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Wed 23-Apr-14 19:52:47

Giles - for the samphire, it is classed as the asparagus of the sea. Simply steam, or fry gently in butter and serve with the fish of your choice, (no salt, as it is already quite salty). It is delicious!!

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Wed 23-Apr-14 19:50:35

Could I plse be very cheeky and ask a question, Where'd?

I love red mullet, it is one of my favourite fish, it was the very first fish I introduced to my daughter's diet, lots of cookery programmes recommend it in their recipes HOWEVER it seems very hard to come by on our shores.

Apparently just recently it should have been in plentiful supply - in British waters, but, I have only been able to buy it online for several years. Why is this? I've asked all our local supermarkets to stock it, and they can't. WHY?? It is very frustrating.

I suppose what I'm asking is, how can we ask for sustainable fish to be readily obtainable?

WyrdByrd Wed 23-Apr-14 19:49:11

Cheers Where's!

<<makes mental note to avoid Sainsbos paella mix>>

I'm trying to lose weight at the mo and there are some great recipes in the Hairy Dieters books - Chilli & Lemon Tuna with broccoli spaghetti, and sticky ginger & chilli salmon are my favourites.

Did lose my mojo a bit the other week when I came home to find DH had done homemade moules mariniere and crusty bread and butter!

I wish I could tempt DD into eating fish again - she'd eat all sorts as a toddler but won't touch so much as a fish finger now sad .

FusilliJerry Wed 23-Apr-14 19:43:56

I am in walking distance, therefore I nominate myself as official mumsnet taster. I have been meaning to pop over to the other side of the island.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now