to consider UKIP racist?

(360 Posts)
fidelineish Wed 23-Apr-14 16:13:50

Tell me, please.

WooWooOwl Wed 23-Apr-14 16:54:28

I don't think it's amateurish to change manifestos. I think more politicians should do it, seeing as they are supposed to represent other people. If they are responding to what people tell them, that's a good thing.

fidelineish Wed 23-Apr-14 16:54:49

grin @Wet

I was thinking in terms of actions and words coming cohesively and convincingly together, maybe?

You have explained 'local people' have you? Safe to vote on the basis of you interpreting UKIP policy for us then is it?

fidelineish Wed 23-Apr-14 16:55:17

Have you seen the manifestos * Woo*?

ComposHat Wed 23-Apr-14 16:56:35

I'd say they were defined by their bigotry and xenophobia rather than racism per se as a lot of their rhetoric is aimed at central Europeans who are largely Caucasian. Nutty Nige has flirted with racism - identifying Enoch Powell as his political hero, making reference to standing up for the white working class as opposed to the eorking class as a whole - without msking overtly racist comments. Rven he knows that it woild be electoral suicide and would give their opponents a field day.

WooWooOwl Wed 23-Apr-14 17:02:09

Yes. Some of it I agree with, some of it I don't. But I don't think anything in their manifesto is racist.

It is not racist for a country to prioritise it's own citizens over citizens of other countries.

gordyslovesheep Wed 23-Apr-14 17:04:52

did you say local

fidelineish Wed 23-Apr-14 17:05:30

grin grin @ Gordy

I love them

WetAugust Wed 23-Apr-14 17:07:06

It is not racist for a country to prioritise it's own citizens over citizens of other countries.

Woo - that is pure genuis!

gordyslovesheep Wed 23-Apr-14 17:07:14

UKIP want to protect the precious things and stop 'New Road'

Ciske Wed 23-Apr-14 17:09:38

Maybe not racist, but definitely xenophobe.

WetAugust Wed 23-Apr-14 17:09:41

I think you'll find Gordy that protecting (i.e. conserving) the things that were precious to us was the whole foundation of the conservative party.

Except they decided to stop 'conserving'.

thesaurusgirl Wed 23-Apr-14 17:11:00

They're the acceptable face of the BNP.

They may not be overtly racist, but many members of their ranks certainly are, and misogynists too.

They're also economically destructive and utterly corrupt (though I realise this doesn't distinguish them from any other party).

I would drop friends if they voted UKIP. It would reveal many things about their values that I would find repellant.

rabbitrisen Wed 23-Apr-14 17:13:44

Not sure why fidelineish is getting rapped for this.
And it was my idea to ask for a thread about this.

I havent really been following politices lately - have got too long in the tooth about all of the old parties quite frankly.

Can anyone claim to love any political party?
But we sort of have to vote for one of them.

rabbitrisen Wed 23-Apr-14 17:14:38

politics not politices

fidelineish Wed 23-Apr-14 17:15:11

I would drop friends if they voted UKIP.

But how would you know? I suspect more people will vote UKIP than will admit it.

Stealth seems to be a theme around UKIP.

Chapsview Wed 23-Apr-14 17:16:39

thesaurusgirl Wow - considering you would drop UKIP members as friends how have you managed to meet so many of them to have such a deep understanding of their psyche. I particularily like the fact that you know they are misogynists as well.

Please tell me what evidence you have called on to make such a sweeping and quite frankly insulting statement.

WetAugust Wed 23-Apr-14 17:20:56

I drop dim people as my friends. Dim people are people who trot out opinions without considering the facts and who stubbornly insist they are correct when they have absolutely no understanding whatsoever of the issues.

thesaurusgirl Wed 23-Apr-14 17:22:59

I was speaking of their party line up, and also those people I know but avoid because they are vociferous supporters.

They've chosen Nigel Farage as their leader. That alone speaks volumes.

As I said, repellent people with repellent views on foreigners, race, immigration, women, Europe, and the economy.

thesaurusgirl Wed 23-Apr-14 17:23:56

Wet August, fuck off and take your tiny penis with you.

fidelineish Wed 23-Apr-14 17:24:30

Be fair thesaurus who would dispute that the floods were caused by gay marriage, for example?

fidelineish Wed 23-Apr-14 17:25:09

X post (obviously) confused

thesaurusgirl Wed 23-Apr-14 17:25:21

wink grin

fidelineish Wed 23-Apr-14 17:27:16

( did not mean to suggest that tiny penises are caused by gay marriage in any way shape or form, the proximity was accidental hmm)

WetAugust Wed 23-Apr-14 17:29:21

Blissful ignorance grin

thesaurusgirl Wed 23-Apr-14 17:29:55

"occupying jobs in the UK workforce"

WTAAF?

I work for a massive recruitment company, if the talent and work ethic is here we hire it; we want the best, and couldn't care less where people come from. Start hiring second rate people just because they're "local" and the economy will be destroyed faster than Farage's expenses account.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now