to think it's perfectly normal that tenants would need to dry their clothes somehow, either indoors or outdoors?

(84 Posts)
Owllady Wed 23-Apr-14 11:04:22

I have realised on 're reading my new lease that there is a clause that says I am not allowed to hang a line outside to dry my clothes. I am not allowed to use a clothes airer and drying clothes on the radiators is not permitted.
So
Without a tumble dryer, what are you supposed to do? No laundrette within 13 miles

Fwiw, I have put up a line anyway, years ago without complaint and I also use a clothes airer and I hang stuff to warm through on the radiators if necessary ffs

bochead Mon 28-Apr-14 20:02:56

Am I the only one who thinks there's nothing nicer than a row of white nappies air-bleaching on the line? It always reminds me of warm relaxed summer days in the same way Calypso music does.

There are many eyesores in the average urban environment but CLEAN laundry isn't one of them! Litter, dog poo, graffiti, broken toys etc however is.

Brittapieandchips Mon 28-Apr-14 18:38:58

I think a lot (not all) of landlords forget that they are renting out a house to tenants, but those tenants are real people and it is their home, and they have lives to lead.

It's not like renting out a caravan or a rug doctor.

Owllady Mon 28-Apr-14 16:23:40

I don't think it's ideal to have dirty, smelly people renting your house is it? If we think about the flip side

specialsubject Mon 28-Apr-14 12:50:10

Given the impact of drying clothes indoors, plus rising energy costs, I think it should be mandatory for new developments to have available outside drying space where possible.

Yes. Totally. End of!

and landlords should provide a place to dry clothes because everyone needs to do washing.

Owllady Mon 28-Apr-14 12:40:29

I don't think that's awful at all though. They are drying their clothes. At what point did drying your CLEAN clothes become unacceptable?

Anyway, my line is more like this

bartergreen.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/32q__dsc7190_waescheleine.jpg

AngryAndLost Mon 28-Apr-14 12:02:58

Read this thread, went for a long walk on Sat, and saw this. Maybe, that's what the landlord had in mind

inabeautifulplace Fri 25-Apr-14 00:04:24

Probably counts as an unfair contract clause. Ignore.

DocDaneeka Thu 24-Apr-14 23:35:10

It seems totally mad. When houses and appartments are constructed nowadays we (designers and builders)have to abide by all sorts of environmental legislation and standards, not just for the construction process but the long term design of the building, and how it will be used. BREAAM, code for sustainable homes and the like. we take great pains to make sure the building is energy efficient, and can be used in an environmentally friendly way.

All this fucking effort, then the muppet of a landlord / client takes possession and enforces a total fuckwankery of a policy about not air drying clothing because someone might not like the look of it.

Just fucking GRRRR

I would like to see a campaign to make clauses like that illegal.

sleepyhead Thu 24-Apr-14 23:33:17

All the traditional tenement flats in my area have drying greens with lines. All the new builds have grassy areas but no lines confused

Given the impact of drying clothes indoors, plus rising energy costs, I think it should be mandatory for new developments to have available outside drying space where possible.

I live in a development of houses and flats and was a director of the management company. The entire area was leasehold and the document stated that no washing should be visible from outside the property. But this only applied to flats. Houses apparently could dry the washing as they wished. We had a few years when one harridan would patrol the gardens searching for visible washing, which in some flats could basically mean pretty much any washing anywhere if the curtains were open.

The maipn issue we had was that landlords would not communicate to tenants what the rules actually were, which was very frustrating.

In theory we had the power to take people to court for breaking rules like this and they could be forced to forfeit their lease. We didn't do it for washing, but we put the process in motion over another issue, but the landlord did a runner to Spain and the mortgage company repossessed it first.

Owllady Thu 24-Apr-14 20:16:29

:Jack Duckworth: smile

CabbagesAndKings Thu 24-Apr-14 19:58:29

I have that in my contract too. Weird, as there is a very handy clothes line in the garden.

According to my contract, I also can't sing, play a radio, watch a television, or invite visitors round, in my own home.

Nor am I allowed to keep pigeons.

I have ignored all of these, except the pigeons :lol:

LadyVetinari Thu 24-Apr-14 17:33:13

Just saw your update - a condensing dryer is fine! That's what I have and the minor increase in electricity costs is far outweighed by the improvement in air quality and living space.

LadyVetinari Thu 24-Apr-14 17:31:36

Blooming heck, I'd be worried about damp and also respiratory infections if I was regularly running a non-vented, non-condensing tumble dryer! At the very least I'd get a dehumidifier for use on tumble-drying days if I were in your position.

In general, though, I don't disagree with you. I think all rental properties should come with a user-operated extractor fan and a ceiling-mounted drying rack in the kitchen (which is generally a humidity-resistant room), or in the bathroom if there's only a kitchenette. I also think that landlords should have to provide a line if there's outdoor space, and an energy efficient spin-dryer or washer-dryer if the property is furnished/part-furnished. It would be good for tenants, and it would spare landlords from dealing with damp.

Owllady Thu 24-Apr-14 17:26:06

I just want to tell them to do one tbh, but I don't have that luxury so I have moaned here smile

Owllady Thu 24-Apr-14 17:24:36

I hang it on the line or clothes airer then either dry through on the radiators or pop in the tumble dryer for a bit
Which is a condenser so I leave the door open to the mouldy cupboard with the leaking roof and it heats up the hall

Also what about the stuff that can't be tumble dried?

Oldraver Thu 24-Apr-14 16:14:03

The thing is OP if you had a non-vented, non-condensor tumble dryer it would still put dampness into the air, so your LL would be better off allowing you to dry outside

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Thu 24-Apr-14 15:52:29

I agree with toots. I am fairly confident that no-one would be that bothered by hanging washing that they would go as far as complaining about it or try to get a tenant evicted for such an offence, that if I was that tenant, I would hang my washing out as I saw fit.

And if someone tried to evict me, I would have my day in court and argue that preventing a normal household task was unreasonable and unfair, using the Unfair Terms and Conditions Regulations as my legal basis.

tootsietoo Thu 24-Apr-14 15:45:15

if it's a house with a garden then it's just silly! ignore.

Owllady Thu 24-Apr-14 15:10:40

It's a house with a garden
And you will all stone me now...
I do have a tumble dryer blush but that really isn't the point!
If you cannot afford a tumble dryer (or afford to run one) what are you supposed to do?

The humble dryer has to sit on top of the washing machine in an enclosed cupboard btw. The Ritz it is not

<awaits stoning>

CouldntGiveAMonkeysToss Thu 24-Apr-14 15:00:31

YANBU at all. Me and DH once rented a flat in a very posh area where there was a rule that you couldn't dry washing outside because it made the area look less posh.
We were allowed to dry it indoors though and our LL was lovely, it was some stupid rule of the entire area and people actually gave a shit when someone dared hang their washing out.

goodasitgets Thu 24-Apr-14 14:13:51

Mine is a ground floor with garden, block of 3 so not sort of likely to be festooned in washing! Nowhere for a tumble dryer
I now use a heated airer and sneak the other one outside when the neighbours are out grin

tootsietoo Thu 24-Apr-14 13:37:31

Is it a block of flats? In which case it's probably not an unreasonable clause, to stop the block becoming festooned in washing which I guess might make it less attractive for sales and lettings. But any sensible landlord or letting agent would have told you this when they were showing you the flat, and made you aware that you would need to budget on buying a tumble dryer.

I manage 19 flats and houses and it is a nightmare when tenants dry all their washing inside, it ruins the house and then they accuse me of letting them a damp house! So, far better to stick a line up outside if you don't have a tumble dryer. As others have said, there are all sorts of irrelevant clauses in standard leases, designed to cover every eventuality in every sort of property. If no one's complained, you're fine.

goodasitgets Thu 24-Apr-14 13:27:29

Oldraver - I put an airer outside in a glorious day and got a phone call from my management company within an hour. Damn neighbours angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now